Got the email. queue position 137

nly 4 1GHz orders left after the batch I'll ship this week, so it's finally time for the regular queue again.
YESSSSSSSSSSS.jpg

Do you have any ideas how many are in that queue now? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Got mine on Wednesday. Only tonight found time to start playing with it. Installed PND manager and now starting to download some software. First impressions are better than I thought. Amazingly compact.

I received my 1Ghz unit finally (Thanks EvilDragon - to Craig and Jacquelyn as well).

You'd think coming on to 4 years of waiting and anticipation would leave the situation rife for ruined expectations. As soon as I got my hands on it, it felt right: the right size, amazing feel to the d-pad and the other controls-the nubs are impressive but feel fragile.

The software experience with the OS has been great so far (although I want to test some edge-case stuff like A2DP bluetooth audio, and mobile internet over DUN). The PND system has made it very slick, and a maturing cataoluge of games on apps.openpandora.org has made it really easy to browse.

Thank you to the community. You've made this device. I hope to contribute too.

It's very clear to me, and my preferences and use case, that if there is a Pandora 2 it should be just as flexible, and have a fully fledged Linux desktop as a primary feature.

Actually ED, is there any sign of my 1ghz? Jaquelyn asked me to send my old CC unit to you before shipment (as agreed with Craig at time of order, a cross-grade) and you received it on 16th April. I'm going a bit looney without my Pandora.

FINALLY got the pandora! I was about 130-ish in the original 1Ghz queue, and I didn't upgrade any further to speed things getting out of Craig's stuck queue.

Got the mail of shipping on the 8th of Feb. Finally arrived over the weekend.

Shame that all in all, it took five years.

It's a great little device. Loaded up my 128GB SD card full of the emulators. It's an amazing device for that. No question about it. Battery life is amazing. Lots of software already out there to get you started out of the box.

Fairly straightforward installation procedure for software makes it almost a no brainer (aside from jiggling emulator rom directories, but that's par the course as always!)

I managed to lock myself out of the device when I first got it because on Super Zaxxon 1.52, I managed to create a password with a $ sign, and come the login screen, the $ sign was not accepted!

So I took the chance to update the firmware and reminded myself not to make the same mistake again!

I can't help feel though that the Pandora would have been good to have five years ago. The touchscreen is admittedly going to underwhelm given all the cheap android tablets out there (hint for a pandora 2!).

Anyone who ever owned a Zaurus will be immediately reminded of it when using the pandora. The stylus doesn't seem to have much luck letting the mouse pointer reach the top of the screen for some reason, despite calibration. I'm using the nubs more than the stylus for mouse control.

Also, while 1Ghz overclocked gets you a lot of mileage, you are still going to find some things not running full speed. (Mortal Kombat on MAME needs a full overclock to work right, for example).

For some reason, the nubs feel flimsy... even though they may not be. In any case I'll come back in a few years time to see how well the pandora takes my punishment.

In short, it's an awesome little device which I'll no doubt use for many years, but there's plenty of scope for improvements in a pandora 2 (if the gang is game for it!)

Also, while 1Ghz overclocked gets you a lot of mileage, you are still going to find some things not running full speed. (Mortal Kombat on MAME needs a full overclock to work right, for example).
All of Acclaim titles are well known not to be very well supported in MAME so far. There's room for optimization there. :)

I managed to lock myself out of the device when I first got it because on Super Zaxxon 1.52, I managed to create a password with a $ sign, and come the login screen, the $ sign was not accepted!
So I took the chance to update the firmware and reminded myself not to make the same mistake again!
This was fixed in SZ 1.54 FWIW.

lbrabbit, on 12 May 2013 - 12:09 PM, said:

So ED's answer can be found here . In short, the 4 1GHz will be shipped next week.
Wishing and hoping and thinking and praying... /DustySpringfield

My #165 1ghz upgrade turned up today! Thank you Askarus and ED. Looks beautiful.

And thanks for the copy of Inglostadter Angzeiger, most informative! :)

Back