Gp Advance Progress Report

Ah, Nintendo. I had to get my two cents in.

Nintendo is gaming. Plain and simple. Aunt Jemimah may have invented maple syrup, but Betty Crocker does it best. Ahem, point being, sure, Nintendo didnt invent gaming but it sure did pioneer the way of gaming. It is a household name, no? And nintendo has given us more memorable games and characters than any other company has. I am quite happy with the gamecube. I owned one for a short time, and although I was a critic at first, I came around to see what Nintendo is trying to accomplish. It is a game system, the only current system (bar the Q whatever) that doesnt feature DVD playback, They dont have the greatest 3rd party support, but really, compare now, and then, the days of NES and SNES... Where have the greatest games for the N's systems come from anyway? (Nintendo themselves, if your wondering.) I respect Nintendo. Just because todays gamers want wanton violence and sex (dont get me wrong, i love Halo) But these things do, 1.) sell games and 2.) attract new gamers, while Nintendo's system, The cube, and its lineup, does not follow this criteria. Either that, or people are too use to the now reigningking, PS2, and are, lack of better terms, pressured into believing that it is the best from everything theyve heard. Anyway, im on a rant now. Nintendo always will be the game king as far as Im concerned. Of course, I deeply respect Atari.

Anyway, I cant wait to hear the latest from GPAdvance.

dizzytheegg posted on Apr 26 2004 at 09:01 PM said:
Oh btw 5 xbox exclusive non sequels AMPED, Brute Force, Halo, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Knights of the old Republic, Steel Battallion...
Amped 2, sequal
Brute Force, mediocre fps
Panzer Dragoon, sequal (dc)
Halo, released for various platforms (pc)
Knights of the old Republic, released for various platforms (pc)
Steel Battallion: Line of contact, sequal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, er..I think I may be slightly off-topic, but if you want to know some things about the progress of the gba (sorry, no gamecube, xbox or ps2, so I'm off-topic ;) ) emulator, take a look at the status section of enf's site, since it's been updated.

Ah yes, very nice to see he has timers with auto frameskip and speed control almost done, it is one of the things even the good emulators are lacking on the GP32 (osnes9x, fGB etc). He has come further than I anticipated.

diablo2 posted on Apr 27 2004 at 11:06 AM said:
very nice
i think we will get this emulater sooner than we think
enf65 rocks
Amen to that. Golden Sun here we come. I still havn't played the sequel even though the original rocked. I dont actually know if there are any decent PD Gba roms though. So I hope old Enfie's efforts aint in vain. Fair do's to him and all the other hardworking coders for getting so many great emulators ports and fresh new games to our system. They all deserve a pat on the back an a shot of Jack Daniels. Anyway more to the point. Sorry for turnin this into a stupid pointless debate. The point I'm tryin to get across is that Nintendo havn't done anythin about GBA emulation on the PC. So why should they be PO'ed at Gamepark. Unless people stop buying GBA's altogether to get GP32's for GBA emulation purposes, I don't really see a problem. Besides, Gamepark only have like 5p(slight exaggeration) in their total balance anyway so it isnt worth Nintendo sueing because it'll cost em so much more than they'll win in court.
Arghh I'm waffling now! :ph34r:

Speaking of....does anyone know any good PD gba games. I dont own a GBA and I want something to play on it. Of course I would never downlaod any game I didnt own *cough, cough* so any recomendations on the PD front?

Sorry to say this. But I'm not at all excited about a GBA emu the whole reason I got my gp32 was to get away from all those dull easy remakes. I wanna sell my GBA but I keep it just so I can play broken sword at night time. :p :D
I'll probably give it away if bs1or2 does ever come out on gpscummvm.
EDIT: damn lol just remebered it never will, biggest dissapointment ever.

carlgeorge posted on Apr 26 2004 at 07:37 PM said:
i agree with pip nintendo rocks. if it wernt for them the video games industire wonted be here.

As Memnoch said a slight exaggeration. If anyone deserves that title it is Atari.
lol atari, atari doesn't exist anymore, except for infogrames who suddenly realised they had the rights to the name atari and now gou under the name atari :D

lol atari, atari doesn't exist anymore, except for infogrames who suddenly realised they had the rights to the name atari and now gou under the name atari

True, very true.:( Still in the late 70s and early 80s (pre 1984) with the initial phase of getting home video games into people's homes, it was Atari who created the market in the first place (with a bit of help from Colecovision et al.)

I did see a documentary stating that Nintendo gained 95% of the US market in the mid-late 80's.:blink: This surprised me a bit because in Europe you were a freak at school if you owned a NES (and that gay robot that came with it :p) -- Amigas, STs, C64s, Speccies, CPCs and even the Mastersystem were the main stay over here.

Oh Charge, the Z80 is there for backward compatability with the gameboy, which I don't think he his programing in.

carlgeorge posted on Apr 28 2004 at 10:36 AM said:
I did see a documentary stating that Nintendo gained 95% of the US market in the mid-late 80's.:blink: This surprised me a bit because in Europe you were a freak at school if you owned a NES (and that gay robot that came with it :p) -- Amigas, STs, C64s, Speccies, CPCs and even the Mastersystem were the main stay over here.
I know that in the UK Sega had a strong hold but in most of Europe NES was the one. Thanks for staying on topic btw.

Efompor posted on May 2 2004 at 07:30 PM said:
Is Enf65 planning on possibly selling his emulator or something? I really hope not, as I am in america and it would be illegal for me to have it...
He said that if his emu works well, he thinks eventually to sell it on joygp but he didn't
get information about how to do it. And he says that if his emu was not free it would be
legal in the US. People on Yaronet Board prefer the donation system than a commercial
one..

Charge posted on Apr 28 2004 at 09:57 AM said:
Doesn't the GBA have a z80 processor as well as an ARM? If so, I hope that enf65 knows about reesy's z80 asm core.
The purpose of that Z80 is to function as the CPU for GB/GBC games...we already have emulators for those.

hmmm, I hope he does charge for it in a way. Because then he will finish it quicker and it will probably be of a slightly higher quality because of the added incentive to make it really good so he could charge for it.

Back