Gp2x-2006 Coding Competition Starts Today

Fenix here I cometh! I've never missed a gbax compo yet, usually resulting in me accidentally not having time to bugtest.... :( (hehehe sorry about that one, craig) But this time I've already got a lot of the main engine coded, since I'm stealing it from another unfinished project of mine, so hopefully it'll be done.

EDIT: What are the controls of this version of fenix?

slygamer posted on Feb 1 2006 at 11:16 PM said:
hehehe... does the GP2X work with 4GB cards yet? :)

Yes it does. The a-data one works.

donny662 posted on Feb 1 2006 at 11:27 PM said:
It doesn't. I sure hope it is added in future releases; otherwise, the winner might be a little disappointed :D . On the other hand, I would be really happy to just win even if there were no prizes.

Use the Search function before making false statements. The A-data 4 GB card works with the GP2X, it's already been posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guyfawkes posted on Feb 1 2006 at 10:09 PM said:
The GP2X-2006 Coding Competition run by Emuholic.com and GP2X.co.uk (GBAX) starts today. Up for grabs is the main prize of a 4 GB Secure Digital Card + GP2X TV Out Cable + GP2X Case and GP2X Screen Protector, second and third prizes are also available. To enter, make a game, port, demo, emulator or application that runs on the GP2X. Both beginner and experienced coders are welcome to enter, its not always the best looking game that wins!

Full details can be found on the GP2X-2006 Coding Competition page here, a mirror is available on the Emuholic server here.

Good luck to all that enter!

Why is the GP32 not part of it? There are ALOT more GP32's out there than GP2X's.

Is there any kind of registry for the contest, who do devs just submit their programs at the deadline? Would be kinda cool if we could see who was working on what.

God Ginrai posted on Feb 2 2006 at 04:46 PM said:

It doesn't. I sure hope it is added in future releases; otherwise, the winner might be a little disappointed :D . On the other hand, I would be really happy to just win even if there were no prizes.

Use the Search function before making false statements. The A-data 4 GB card works with the GP2X, it's already been posted.

I don't trust A-DATA card series. The way it is made, it reminds me of a cheap chinese ripoff...

naples39 posted on Feb 3 2006 at 08:41 PM said:
Is there any kind of registry for the contest, who do devs just submit their programs at the deadline? Would be kinda cool if we could see who was working on what.
you submit them to gp2x2006[at]gbaemu.com following the guidelines on the page linked to in the first post. If you read it carefully you would see that the entries are a secret until after the competition is over and should NOT be released anywhere before the competition is over (i believe this may disqualify you.....).

Well, you all have fun. Personally, I have no intention of entering this contest as long as the GPL licensing situation remains unresolved. I feel I would be insulting the developers whose work made the platform possible. But that's just me.

deadlychicken22 posted on Feb 3 2006 at 05:51 PM said:
you submit them to gp2x2006[at]gbaemu.com following the guidelines on the page linked to in the first post. If you read it carefully you would see that the entries are a secret until after the competition is over and should NOT be released anywhere before the competition is over (i believe this may disqualify you.....).

Okay, sorry, I didn't read carefully. I'm not competing or anything as I don't know how to program, I was just curious from a user's persepctive as to what we might see. I'll just keep my mouth shut and wait patiently for the next 3 weeks....

Shikaku posted on Feb 3 2006 at 03:48 PM said:
God Ginrai posted on Feb 2 2006 at 04:46 PM said:

I don't trust A-DATA card series. The way it is made, it reminds me of a cheap chinese ripoff...

You don't have to trust it. You just have to nod your head and agree that it does indeed work. ;)

I guess if you write firmware to support a 4gb card you instantly win the top prize? ;)

So, is this just going to be a competition where as long as Zottd posts a version of gp2psx, he will win?

Not to discourage anyone trying to win, but that is particularly hard to combat, and for darn good reason. With all his work, he definetly deserves it too.

devestation posted on Feb 4 2006 at 07:42 PM said:
So, is this just going to be a competition where as long as Zottd posts a version of gp2psx, he will win?

Not to discourage anyone trying to win, but that is particularly hard to combat, and for darn good reason. With all his work, he definetly deserves it too.

Yes but there two others places with prizes (the 2nd and 3rd) so... assuming that winning the 1st is very hard anyway... no big loss here. :p

And don't assume that gp2psx can not be topped (but this not by me). We don't know what will show until the end of competition...

Yea, there's many things that can top GP2PSX. (meaning that there are a lot of amazing things) Not to say GP2PSX is bad or doesn't deserve it.

We'll know who deserves it after all the entries are made. ;P

I think an enteirley origenal game idea that plays well could be a gp2psx beater, maybe. Id like to think something that sets the gp2x apart from other handhelds would be worthy of a prize. If indeed someone can do that! :blink:

If you look at some of the previous winners we have had you will see that sometimes super simple games can win. Its quite random. And that's how we like it.

devestation posted on Feb 4 2006 at 05:42 PM said:

Why would he be the sure winner? That emu is good due to the fact that it kind of works and alot of work was put into it. It is a great job but it is slow and most games are unplayable due to the hardware limitations. It isn't real practical for many.

I think plenty of things could win over that. How about if a fullspeed with full sound PC-Engine emu popped out? I would vote for that over a slow PSX emu.

That is just me though.

DaveC posted on Feb 5 2006 at 08:47 AM said:
devestation posted on Feb 4 2006 at 05:42 PM said:

Not to discourage anyone trying to win, but that is particularly hard to combat, and for darn good reason.  With all his work, he definetly deserves it too.

Why would he be the sure winner? That emu is good due to the fact that it kind of works and alot of work was put into it. It is a great job but it is slow and most games are unplayable due to the hardware limitations. It isn't real practical for many.

I think plenty of things could win over that. How about if a fullspeed with full sound PC-Engine emu popped out? I would vote for that over a slow PSX emu.

That is just me though.

That depends - you may not even get a chance to vote if the competition is not open to the community to vote ie the runners of the competition who do all the judging (boo sucks)

I'd prefer to vote so the winner knows he has the support of the community. Mess and Vice would get my votes for sure, maybe PC Engine as I have played that a bit and finally finished Salamander!

Back