Gp2x Community Game Contest Only 3 Days Left!

Epicenter posted on Dec 9 2006 at 10:56 PM said:
Goity posted on Dec 9 2006 at 01:43 PM said:
Look what the cat dragged in. Just because you can't actually get a game running on the system
;)
If you had a brain in that head of yours you might realize there's a difference between thinking the machine is a shitty dev platform and deciding not to pursue a release on it, and 'not being able to get a game running'. I had no trouble getting anything to run. But if I cannot achieve all my goals due to hardware limitations or the game is not fun to play thanks to the controls, I'm not going to bother continuing development for the GP2X. That's not a fault on my part, that's a conscious decision resulting from faults in the machine. And I'm certainly not the first person to state any of them.

Oh man you talk like you havent done anything.

This machine is no shitty , the controls are good, what are you talking about? PAd? Buy the official MK2 cap and think again. You have 11 buttons, cojones!

What do you want to do on the machine that i cant do because you are limited with the hard? Have you seen NEO GEO games running very smoothly? And that is emulated! If you knew how to program well you could do lots of stuff for this little precious.

I have been having problems in the past triying to run my game smoothly. but i was all my fault , i did program badly some functions.

Epicenter posted on Dec 9 2006 at 10:56 PM said:
At any rate, that is COMPLETELY unrelated. I'm expressing surprise that there appears to be so little interest on the part of the rest of the community to put out 'commercial' quality games that could at least top GPH's terrible 'Odonata' or be on-par with the one really 'original' high-end GP2X game, Vektar. Right now the software selection besides emulators is really limited. Not to insult homebrew developers, but there just haven't been any real serious, solid game projects-- as in, to produce a full, finalized 'could sell on store shelves' style game-- mostly ports and rehashes or mini-games. Payback doesn't really count, for me, since it was already a GBA game. It's pretty much just been enhanced graphics and audio-wise.

YOu dont know what are you talking about! We are working hard in making the best games for GP2X , and that takes a long time. I have played demos of a few games and the are just brilliant.

My game is going to be gradius style and it will be better than Odonata (that is what i aim to).

And if you want to see quality games you have to wait. What can you spect one year after the handheld is released?

Think + research, and then, talk.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been coding all day yesterday... crunch time... I'm so spaced out now, collapsing... and on top of this I have to write an essay too, for tomorrow, life's no kind.

- Alex

Talk about beat I have been coding 8-10hrs per day trying to get this finished but finally I made it my game is complete. It has about 1000 frames of animations boy was this exhausting :blink: PSyMastR could you please confirm my entry??? I have been trying for 2 days to get it to you :(

Teaser pics :)
screenshot0.jpg
screenshot2.jpg

screenshot1.jpg
screenshot3.jpg

There seems to be some misunderstandings regarding the required level of completion. You can enter a game in ANY playable state of development (even alpha) but it will be compared to the others as if it is a finished game. My suggestion is to just enter it anyway, even if there are bugs. Chances are that most of the other games will have bugs, too.

GP2X_Coder, I would love to confirm your entry for you, but I have not been able to contact Psy myself, lately, and I have, since moving to a new computer, lost my password to our accounts, so I can't check them out myself. I am keeping a look out for him, though, and will nag him for the password once I see him. Great pics, by the way.

All you people going about Epicenter, please just bloody leave it or move it to a different thread. This isn't about Epicenter and his game, this is about the game contest. Please. It's supposed to be a positive force in the community, not a base for petty squabbling.

Regardless, my game does not have enough game in it to consider entering it now. I thought I'd be able to squeeze in enough hours to get a playable game entered, but these bugs have come up preventing me working on AI. I will repect the compo and will not enter such an incomplete project.
I might have been able to get something ready if I worked solidly on it today, but I have a cold and really don't feel like coding.

On the positive side though. I do think this game I'm working on will be fun to play once it is in fact finished, so please look forward to it. I'll work on it over christmas. :)

Huxley posted on Dec 9 2006 at 06:54 PM said:
I don't want to get involved in this whole mess, but a little friendly advice if I may? Can you please, please, please quit whining and let us get on and enjoy the GP2X? We're quite happy with the crappy controls, emulators and unprofessional homebrew games, so why not play on your GP32 while you wait for Gamepark to release the XGP so you can release your game which I'm sure will be worth the wait. Just quit responding to bait and posting in threads like this when you clearly don't have any interest in the GP2X anymore. It's really frustrating for those of us that do to see threads de-railed like this.
Hm, for some reason, I really like the way you put this. I'll take your advice and give it a rest; my opinions are poorly received here anyway. Thanks for the rational attitude. Subcon959whatever, thanks for the unnecessary immature remarks.

JimmySlam- please educate yourself on the difference between a 'stick' and a 'cap' and the reason for complaints re: the controls of the GP2X (hint, they have nothing to do with how many buttons it has) before you tell me to do research. :) Thanks.

Don't mistake my comments for lack of appreciation for the hard work invested in development for the GP2X. It looks like there might be some more interesting things coming down the pipe than it initially appeared. It had originally seemed like there weren't any people really working to develop larger, fancier games with more depth than the things we've seen in the past, like say, Tilematch-- which are fun minigames but don't really show off the potential the system DOES have. Just because I can't achieve what I want to on it, doesn't mean there isn't potential untapped by present homebrew offerings (not emulators). What can be squeezed out of it, it'd be interesting to see.

Epicenter posted on Dec 10 2006 at 04:43 PM said:
Huxley posted on Dec 9 2006 at 06:54 PM said:
I don't want to get involved in this whole mess, but a little friendly advice if I may? Can you please, please, please quit whining and let us get on and enjoy the GP2X? We're quite happy with the crappy controls, emulators and unprofessional homebrew games, so why not play on your GP32 while you wait for Gamepark to release the XGP so you can release your game which I'm sure will be worth the wait. Just quit responding to bait and posting in threads like this when you clearly don't have any interest in the GP2X anymore. It's really frustrating for those of us that do to see threads de-railed like this.
Hm, for some reason, I really like the way you put this. I'll take your advice and give it a rest; my opinions are poorly received here anyway. Thanks for the rational attitude. Subcon959whatever, thanks for the unnecessary immature remarks.

JimmySlam- please educate yourself on the difference between a 'stick' and a 'cap' and the reason for complaints re: the controls of the GP2X (hint, they have nothing to do with how many buttons it has) before you tell me to do research. :) Thanks.

Don't mistake my comments for lack of appreciation for the hard work invested in development for the GP2X. It looks like there might be some more interesting things coming down the pipe than it initially appeared. It had originally seemed like there weren't any people really working to develop larger, fancier games with more depth than the things we've seen in the past, like say, Tilematch-- which are fun minigames but don't really show off the potential the system DOES have. Just because I can't achieve what I want to on it, doesn't mean there isn't potential untapped by present homebrew offerings (not emulators). What can be squeezed out of it, it'd be interesting to see.

The stick is the stick and the cap is the cap, i dont find anything wrong with the stick. I do find problems with the MK1 cap.

So what is your problem with the controls then?

PSyMastR posted on Dec 10 2006 at 05:34 PM said:
Um, sam, your entry doesn't even run.
Lol, it did for me when I tested it. But when you cram something together that fast, who knows. What FW do you have? Also you must copy the folders over as they are.

Edit: No, you're right, this build crashes on the 2x. I think its the script.

Edit2: I fixed it and have resubmitted it.

PSyMastR posted on Dec 10 2006 at 05:34 PM said:
Um, sam, your entry doesn't even run.
I know I said it would be crap, but I really didn't mean that it would be that crap lol

Well, there is still more than 24 hours to finish, so get cracking, folks!

I have a bit of an announcement to make, and I ask for your understanding of this in advance. As you know, we have gone to great lengths to ensure that the community is what fuels the competition and that the community is included in the decisions and news every step of the way. And now we come to another crossroads.

As the situation stands, there will probably not be enough entries to effectively pull off the judging system we previously detailed (that is, the Eurovision Song Contest style). What Psy has suggested, and I have agreed to so far, is the following:

We do all the reviews as planned, meaning all games will be reviewed like the sample review included on the site, in the "rules" section, the only change being that the score will be out of ten rather than five.
After this, all the scores will be laid together to form a score out of forty (we have four judges at the moment. If we get one more*, the score will be out of fifty, et cetera).
Simple. Effective. Fair.

How does this sound? Any input? If nobody objects, this is the way it will slide.

* Applications for judging are no longer accepted, but we are still handling contact with some potential judges.

Back