Gp2x Community Game Contest Only 3 Days Left!

Well, I said I was going to give you a little something something extra, and here it is! I've talked to Craig, ED and relative newcomer to the retailer gang, David (Jr2swiss), and they've all graciously agreed to give a little sum'thing sum'thing extra to the brave developers who are entering the competition. By doing this, I personally believe these stand-up guys have really yet again proved how willing they are to help the community of GP2X developers, and just how awesome they are!

A big bloody "HUZZAH!" for all three of them!
THEY ROCK!

The additional prizes are:

From Jr2swiss at gp2xstore.com:
One copy of Payback to the community favourite!

From craigix at gp2x.co.uk:
One copy of Payback for EACH of the top three!

From EvilDragon at gp2x.de:
One DaveC DPad modification to the winner of the competition!!*
(This in addition to his initial €100 donation to the regular prize pot!)

So, as it stands as of the current update of the donation situation, the prizes are as follows:

First place:
€ 356.91
One copy of Payback
DaveC DPad mod

Second place:
€ 249.84
One copy of Payback

Third place:
€ 107.07
One copy of Payback

Community Favourite:
One copy of Payback

At this point, it's also prudent to remind you folks of some of our OTHER biggest contributors to the competition.
Dzz, The Live! Team and EvilDragon all donated 100 euros!
Wite_Noiz and Ortwin "OrR" Regel donated 50 euros!
I could go on and on, but I'll just link you to the donation page for a full list of the awesome people who've donated so far. If you were planning on donating but haven't gotten around to it, you can still keep donating all the way until 12th of january.

* The DPad will be fitted by ED, free of charge, if the winner doesn't want to do it him/herself.

Again: A BIG THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HAS INVOLVED THEMSELVES WITH THE COMPETITION IN ANY WAY, ESPECIALLY THE PEOPLE WHO ARE ENTERING THEIR GAMES, AND SO ARE CONTRIBUTING TO THE WEALTH OF AWESOMENESS ON OUR BELOVED LITTLE BLACK BOX.

Wow, prizes are now _really_ impressiv. I don't agree with the distribution to be honest as I'm sure, that many people put a lot of effort in their games and it will suck to see someone getting a shitload of money AND a copy of Payback but that is up to you guys to decide...

Magnulus posted on Dec 11 2006 at 12:44 PM said:
Well, I said I was going to give you a little something something extra, and here it is! I've talked to Craig, ED and relative newcomer to the retailer gang, David (Jr2swiss), and they've all graciously agreed to give a little sum'thing sum'thing extra to the brave developers who are entering the competition. By doing this, I personally believe these stand-up guys have really yet again proved how willing they are to help the community of GP2X developers, and just how awesome they are!

A big bloody "HUZZAH!" for all three of them!
THEY ROCK!

The additional prizes are:

From Jr2swiss at gp2xstore.com:
One copy of Payback to the community favourite!

From craigix at gp2x.co.uk:
One copy of Payback for EACH of the top three!

From EvilDragon at gp2x.de:
One DaveC DPad modification to the winner of the competition!!*
(This in addition to his initial €100 donation to the regular prize pot!)

So, as it stands as of the current update of the donation situation, the prizes are as follows:

First place:
€ 356.91
One copy of Payback
DaveC DPad mod

Second place:
€ 249.84
One copy of Payback

Third place:
€ 107.07
One copy of Payback

Community Favourite:
One copy of Payback

At this point, it's also prudent to remind you folks of some of our OTHER biggest contributors to the competition.
Dzz, The Live! Team and EvilDragon all donated 100 euros!
Wite_Noiz and Ortwin "OrR" Regel donated 50 euros!
I could go on and on, but I'll just link you to the donation page for a full list of the awesome people who've donated so far. If you were planning on donating but haven't gotten around to it, you can still keep donating all the way until 12th of january.

* The DPad will be fitted by ED, free of charge, if the winner doesn't want to do it him/herself.

Again: A BIG THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HAS INVOLVED THEMSELVES WITH THE COMPETITION IN ANY WAY, ESPECIALLY THE PEOPLE WHO ARE ENTERING THEIR GAMES, AND SO ARE CONTRIBUTING TO THE WEALTH OF AWESOMENESS ON OUR BELOVED LITTLE BLACK BOX.

Wow!!! Thats fantastic. Boy I hope I win something. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Nagelfar posted on Dec 11 2006 at 06:56 PM said:
Wow, prizes are now _really_ impressiv. I don't agree with the distribution to be honest as I'm sure, that many people put a lot of effort in their games and it will suck to see someone getting a shitload of money AND a copy of Payback but that is up to you guys to decide...

Well it was considered, but note that most people put a lot of effort into their games and never get anything. This isn't a competition to give everyone something, but to give those who managed to make something extra special something extra special in return, apart from eternal glory. ^_^ There is no ill will intended by this towards those who don't win anything, but this is the way we ended up doing it. I'm sure there are those who are against it, but there are also those who are for it, I think.

*jaw drops* wow you guys are awsome, it makes me wish i could code! well, good luck to all the entries (cant wait to play your games!)

(say when are all the games gonna be available for download?)

Goemon4 posted on Dec 11 2006 at 07:08 PM said:

Tuesday next week, when we've had time to correlate our data, check all entries and finish up the entry page. After this, we will, as quickly as possible, set up some sort of voting system for the games so that the public can vote for the community favorite.

Magnulus posted on Dec 11 2006 at 06:05 PM said:
Nagelfar posted on Dec 11 2006 at 06:56 PM said:

Well it was considered, but note that most people put a lot of effort into their games and never get anything. This isn't a competition to give everyone something, but to give those who managed to make something extra special something extra special in return, apart from eternal glory. ^_^ There is no ill will intended by this towards those who don't win anything, but this is the way we ended up doing it. I'm sure there are those who are against it, but there are also those who are for it, I think.
Well you have made a big mistake. Don't think im getting pissed off because my quick pong clone won't win anything, as I didn't intend it to, and made it one incase noone entered, and two because I was bored on sunday. But the point is, you said for people to enter unfinished projects to be judged as finished, this will make the bigger harder projects seems worse, as they arent finished. Nevermind anyway, it is your choice, and it was jolly nice of you to run this competition anyway. I was also jolly nice of all the donators and sponsors.

Magnulus posted on Dec 11 2006 at 01:17 PM said:
Goemon4 posted on Dec 11 2006 at 07:08 PM said:

Tuesday next week, when we've had time to correlate our data, check all entries and finish up the entry page. After this, we will, as quickly as possible, set up some sort of voting system for the games so that the public can vote for the community favorite.

ok, cant wait!

As spoken with Magnus about the prizes, some of these extra prizes were not decided by us, but by the suppliers of the extra prizes.

I'm not really sure what your point is, here. Are you complaining about a rule that was decided on ages ago, or are you complaining about the prizes? No, the bigger harder projects won't necessarily seem "worse". when you're working a big project, you have the choice of either dumping your WIP in the entry bin, or polishing it up a little into a sort of "demo" for your entry, adding a few quick things to it to make it more "winnable". It's a slight derailment of the programming, sure, but I'm sure it's nothing compared to the man-hours put into just polishing up a game demo for showing at E3.

In short, though, I don't know what the heck you are talking about. Are you talking about the prize distribution, actually? If you are, then you should have phrased yourself a little better, because I'm in the dark. If you ARE talking about the distribution, then I'll inform you that some of these prizes' distribution were requested by the donors themselves, and I am not one to tell my donors that they can't donate the way they like.

sam fisher posted on Dec 11 2006 at 07:19 PM said:
Well you have made a big mistake. Don't think im getting pissed off because my quick pong clone won't win anything, as I didn't intend it to, and made it one incase noone entered, and two because I was bored on sunday. But the point is, you said for people to enter unfinished projects to be judged as finished, this will make the bigger harder projects seems worse, as they arent finished. Nevermind anyway, it is your choice, and it was jolly nice of you to run this competition anyway. I was also jolly nice of all the donators and sponsors.

Magnulus posted on Dec 11 2006 at 07:00 PM said:
I'm not really sure what your point is, here. Are you complaining about a rule that was decided on ages ago, or are you complaining about the prizes? No, the bigger harder projects won't necessarily seem "worse". when you're working a big project, you have the choice of either dumping your WIP in the entry bin, or polishing it up a little into a sort of "demo" for your entry, adding a few quick things to it to make it more "winnable". It's a slight derailment of the programming, sure, but I'm sure it's nothing compared to the man-hours put into just polishing up a game demo for showing at E3.

In short, though, I don't know what the heck you are talking about. Are you talking about the prize distribution, actually? If you are, then you should have phrased yourself a little better, because I'm in the dark. If you ARE talking about the distribution, then I'll inform you that some of these prizes' distribution were requested by the donors themselves, and I am not one to tell my donors that they can't donate the way they like.

sam fisher posted on Dec 11 2006 at 07:19 PM said:
I didn't actually mean to seem offensive, if you took it that way. I mean that after a programmer has spent ages trying to get it done in time, to find they cant, they might not be upto changing the game in the last day to create a demo. They may have unforseen bugs etc. But don't worry, I think I just thrased my opinion too harshly. I was on about the proper developers getting an even spread of the prizes. As far as I can tell from the numbers, if the distributors hadn't chosen the arrangements, you could of lit up 3 more dev's days. That doesn't matter anyway, the fact you have run this competition is good, it's you rcompetition and you are free to run it how you want.

All right, I don't want to upset the hard-working devs, so how about this:
I haven't had the economical opportunity to donate anything to this competition as of yet, so this is what I will do: I will personally donate a copy of Payback and a copy of Vektar to be given to the fourth and fifth place in the competition, respectively. I'll arrange it with Craig so he sends them directly to those who win fourth and fifth place. This way, mostly everyone is happy.

I was thinking of two Paybacks, but that would completely have broken my bank. Hope that's all right...

Magnulus posted on Dec 11 2006 at 09:38 PM said:
I haven't had the economical opportunity to donate anything to this competition as of yet, so this is what I will do: I will personally donate a copy of Payback and a copy of Vektar to be given to the fourth and fifth place in the competition, respectively. I'll arrange it with Craig so he sends them directly to those who win fourth and fifth place. This way, mostly everyone is happy.

I was thinking of two Paybacks, but that would completely have broken my bank. Hope that's all right...
Well, I have no argument to that other than saying that you are clearly a great person. I'd also chip in but I am completely broke :( I have £10 left and need to buy someone some chocolates with that.

Me being absolutely broke, can only donate to this contest the work it takes to do the entire site by hand and making sure everything is going smoothly on the site and stuff.

... Just don't tell my missus about this. We're supposed to be saving it for when she moves to Scotland. ;)

(I only did it to shut you up in any case. ^_^)

sam fisher posted on Dec 11 2006 at 11:01 PM said:
Magnulus posted on Dec 11 2006 at 09:38 PM said:

Well, I have no argument to that other than saying that you are clearly a great person. I'd also chip in but I am completely broke :( I have £10 left and need to buy someone some chocolates with that.

I'm still entering! Just finishing off. I've been working on this solid for 3 days, and for a very long time before.

Back