Gp2x Community Game Contest Only 3 Days Left!

Epicenter posted on Dec 9 2006 at 12:39 PM said:
Sheesh, first all this talk of 'the community's not slowing down, everyone is waiting for the contest to be over' and now, 'someone will enter!' ... I hope this doesn't turn out as underwhelming as the GPH contest.

EDIT: Actually, with the rules that contest had, I'm surprised anyone entered something better than goitfights. ;)
Look what the cat dragged in. Just because you can't actually get a game running on the system
;)

And banning emus was not harsh, this community gets too few decent homebrew games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe next year, too late to change the rules now. There is definitely one entry so far, so we know not all is lost :p

And the reason emu's were banned was because thats putting games in that were made by teams of many professionals against single people developing in their spare time... Plus, homebrew > emu's imo. Hence, this contest.

PSyMastR posted on Dec 9 2006 at 08:20 PM said:
Maybe next year, too late to change the rules now. There is definitely one entry so far, so we know not all is lost :p
I'll enter, provided I'm finished.
Can I post teaser pictures?

craigix posted on Dec 9 2006 at 03:11 AM said:
Argh i only just realised ports are not allowed :-/ there goes my entry.
Shush, say its a clone!

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Dec 9 2006 at 03:38 AM said:
craigix posted on Dec 8 2006 at 10:11 PM said:
Argh i only just realised ports are not allowed :-/ there goes my entry.
What happens if literally no one enters/meets criteria? Do all donations get refunded? Contest extended??

Or worse yet: one person enters, and the entry looks like goitfights. And they win it all :eek:

NOOO
Its not goitfights this time....It's a racer...

Goity posted on Dec 9 2006 at 02:43 PM said:
banning emus was not harsh, this community gets too few decent homebrew games.
PSyMastR posted on Dec 9 2006 at 03:20 PM said:
homebrew > emu's imo. Hence, this contest.
My thoughts exactly! :)

- Alex

Goity posted on Dec 9 2006 at 01:43 PM said:
Look what the cat dragged in. Just because you can't actually get a game running on the system
;)
If you had a brain in that head of yours you might realize there's a difference between thinking the machine is a shitty dev platform and deciding not to pursue a release on it, and 'not being able to get a game running'. I had no trouble getting anything to run. But if I cannot achieve all my goals due to hardware limitations or the game is not fun to play thanks to the controls, I'm not going to bother continuing development for the GP2X. That's not a fault on my part, that's a conscious decision resulting from faults in the machine. And I'm certainly not the first person to state any of them.

At any rate, that is COMPLETELY unrelated. I'm expressing surprise that there appears to be so little interest on the part of the rest of the community to put out 'commercial' quality games that could at least top GPH's terrible 'Odonata' or be on-par with the one really 'original' high-end GP2X game, Vektar. Right now the software selection besides emulators is really limited. Not to insult homebrew developers, but there just haven't been any real serious, solid game projects-- as in, to produce a full, finalized 'could sell on store shelves' style game-- mostly ports and rehashes or mini-games. Payback doesn't really count, for me, since it was already a GBA game. It's pretty much just been enhanced graphics and audio-wise.

Epicenter, you were never involved in any game development. For 2 reasons:

1) There is no evidence

2) You spend so much time on here, bashing everything, that there could not possible of been any spare time for Programming! :p

Well, even if this contest isn't a great sccess I hope it won't discourage the same next year. I'd certainly donate again anyways. And a split prize for emulators/homebrew games sounds like a good idea.

Epicenter posted on Dec 9 2006 at 10:56 PM said:
But if I cannot achieve all my goals due to hardware limitations or the game is not fun to play thanks to the controls

I don't want to get involved in this whole mess, but a little friendly advice if I may? Can you please, please, please quit whining and let us get on and enjoy the GP2X? We're quite happy with the crappy controls, emulators and unprofessional homebrew games, so why not play on your GP32 while you wait for Gamepark to release the XGP so you can release your game which I'm sure will be worth the wait. Just quit responding to bait and posting in threads like this when you clearly don't have any interest in the GP2X anymore. It's really frustrating for those of us that do to see threads de-railed like this.

Hmm I wasn't able to complete my game... bad time management but i hope to get it done in the christmas holidays.. (as i don't like my game to be vaporware.... which it certainly is now...)

subcon959 posted on Dec 10 2006 at 01:13 AM said:
Huxley, you sure you're a manc? you seem far too polite :p

I say we take him round Moss side and sort him out.

You should have seen my original post before I re-wrote it! :lol: But that would be counter-productive considering the whole situation has gone beyond amusing/interesting and is just getting right on my tits now.

PS, I'm from Stockport though I don't like admit it ;)

Hmm I wasn't able to complete my game... bad time management but i hope to get it done in the christmas holidays.. (as i don't like my game to be vaporware.... which it certainly is now...)

Well, if this competition is encouraging projects that are released eventually it's all good! A pity you won't be able to win the prize but hopefully next time, eh?

Good news for me, first lot of bug reports are in and all the game related bugs are now fixed. The other bugs (one occasionally crashes the game with certain MP3s) are all audio related so I am putting the blame on MP3 playback on the SDL audio libs ;)

I will be spending Sunday trying to fix the remaining bugs and libs or the alternative is to either disable MP3 support (use only OGG and maybe MOD etc) or leave it enabled and have a few bugs with some MP3s.

Epicenter posted on Dec 9 2006 at 05:56 PM said:
Not to insult homebrew developers, but there just haven't been any real serious, solid game projects-- as in, to produce a full, finalized 'could sell on store shelves' style game-- mostly ports and rehashes or mini-games.
There's a logical explanation for everything, Eric.

Firstly, these homebrew games are released free of charge, ie. most developers get little more in return than personal satisfaction and community feedback. A 'could sell on store shelves' style game would most likely have a price tag, be it $5 or $30, a price tag nevertheless. That would ensure its developer(s) would get a more stable revenue off of it. Which brings me to the next point:

Those 'could sell on store shelves' style games are usually developed by a team of programmers/artists/designers, while most homebrew efforts are a one-man show, with an occasional cooperation between a programmer and an artist/musician, etc. Doing everything yourself can be fun (total freedom over your own pet project), but that means lower overall quality, or an immense development time span (think many months ranging to years, provided you do it as a hobby, beside pursuing studies or having a job).

To sum everything up, homebrew games are free and coded as hobbies rather than commissions.

- Alex

Guyfawkes posted on Dec 10 2006 at 02:20 AM said:
Good news for me, first lot of bug reports are in and all the game related bugs are now fixed. The other bugs (one occasionally crashes the game with certain MP3s) are all audio related so I am putting the blame on MP3 playback on the SDL audio libs ;)

I will be spending Sunday trying to fix the remaining bugs and libs or the alternative is to either disable MP3 support (use only OGG and maybe MOD etc) or leave it enabled and have a few bugs with some MP3s.
Force OGG on them, it's better anyway.

true, but the majority of stuff are usually mp3's (even tho its pretty easy to convert them to OGG) either way, as long as the game works, i doubt people will mind

Back