Gp2x F200 Sd Card Problem

jellyjake

Still Fresh
I really need help with this: I got my new GP2X F200 today and it was all good- some pre-installed software on the SD- but I wanted to add Duke3D, so I slap the SD Card into my reader and copied the files- all good- then I pop it back in to the system to get nothing- cant even get into what was there. I have been trying loads today- but in the SD reader I have to format it over and over- in the F200 system in wont let me delete/format anything via it.

Any ideas? :ph34r:

Quick note- i have (at long last) worked it out- I just hope it stays working ;)

well- what i did was put the game folder in root- then into \game: however it worked for about 2 mins- so thats not the anwser. Doesnt look like I can install any games to my GP2X F200- Windozes wont let me get into the SD card via the machine itself; In my readerit may or it may not work- whats going on?

Just to let you know- the more I try to get the system to load games from the SD Card it crashes- when it does sho any of the games- it loads for a sec and then crashes... I think it hates me.

Jelly Jake said:
Just to let you know- the more I try to get the system to load games from the SD Card it crashes- when it does sho any of the games- it loads for a sec and then crashes... I think it hates me.
Can you try a different card ? Sounds like it may be duff... do you have an SD card reader ? Can you try it in that instead of using the GP2X as a storage device?

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that the 1BG is now duffed- it would let me run PicoDrive- but now nothing; The Boomshine (i think) works OK; if the card doesnt crash my system- and trying to get into movies does crash it out every time.

I also have a little 64MB SD card (I know...) and it ran Duke3D fine- once- now it doesnt want to run anything- like the card is clear on the system, but in the reader the files are there. I am getting my 2GB card tomorrow- but it looks like one is totaled and one doesnt want to work half the time... Could this be my system do you think? I have noticed it likes to work more often when the card is on Lock...

I just sent my GP2X-F200 back about a week ago for the exact same problems that you are describing. Play-asia are currently testing the unit.

I also have a GP2X-F100 so I was able to test my SD cards on both units. The GP2X-F100 wouldn't have any trouble reading a card and I would take it straight out and put it in the GP2X-F200 and it would load up an emulator and rom and play fine. However when quitting the game and trying to load up another game the SD card would cease to exist as far as the GP2X-F200 was concerned.

Loading the SD card into my reader would show all the data had been scrambled. So I would reformat the card, load on the data, put it back into the GP2X-F100 and everything would be sweet.

I tried this many times with different cards same result. So I thought hey let's lock the SD card so it becomes read-only and see what happens. Well the GP2X-F200 still scrambled the data, so that is when I made the decision to send it back.

I will let you know what happens when Play-asia get back to me.

Well i Have a 2GB SD card that doent want to work at all- the 1GB is OK on Lock only- its driving me nuts.

Quick follow-up question- both cards are SanDisks (the 2GB was from EBay)- now the 1GB works from time to time- but after I stopping it from playing the curropted rubbish and its working now- if it wants too mind you:

Could this be why:
The 1GB Card has died at some point and now will work IF it wants too?
The 2GB is from Ebay (and from Hong Kong- but I only found this out when it came!!) so it could be a fake\cope?

And lasty- SanDisk SD just suck and the GP2X-F200 hates them?

Here is the current status of communications between myself and play-asia...

17th Dec:

Hi Tony,

Can you please give me an update on testing of my returned GP2X-F200 unit? I would like an ETA on when the testing process will be completed.

No Reply

18th Dec:

Hi Tony,

It has now been two weeks since you received my returned GP2X-F200 and I would like to know what is going on? The delay is starting to annoy me and I would like a reply immediately.

Thank you for contacting Play-Asia.com.

We just checked with the Technical Department about the progress of the testing. They stated that the console seems fine. They tested the unit with a sd card 'Kingmax 2GB' and they put some jpeg and avi files in the card. The console can detect the sd card and view the photos and the movies. It seems that there may be some compatibility problem for the sd card that you use.

18th Dec:

Tony,

It took two weeks to put a SD card in my GP2X-F200 and view some photos and movies? Is that the testing process? What a joke.

It was so long ago so you may not remember, but I tried two brands of SD cards a HP 1GB and a Sandisk 2GB of which I sent you a link. Both of these cards had no issues working in my GP2X-F100 with firmware 3.0.0. The GP2X website (http://www.gp2x.co.kr/) clearly states in the specifications SD card compatibility, so it should support all SD cards.

I also previously mentioned that the GP2X-F200 was corrupting the data. For instance I would load up a MAME game and play it but when I tried to load another game it wouldn't see the data on the card. Upon placing the card in a reader the data was corrupted. I even locked the card so it was read only and the data got corrupted.

I expect you to replace the unit with a new one and ship it to me at no cost due to the fact that it took you two weeks for your useless testing process.

Currently awaiting reply

Correspondence update...

21st Dec:

I am very sorry. Actually we just summarized the result for the testing
process, it may a bit short from your point of view.

Besides, the given link is relating to the compatibility issue of the old
model (GP2X-F100) and it may not be the same as the new model (GP2X-F200).
If the console is defective, how can we explain why 'Kingmax 2GB' can be
detected and the data inside can be accessed?

Also, since the MAME game is some kind of homebrews, we cannot guarantee
if all of them can work smoothly with the console. Did you test the other
functions with the sd card, e.g. playing movie, access image file?

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

Tony
Play-Asia.com

Tony,

Yes, I couldn't play movies.

MAME is "homebrew" but there are plenty of GP2X-F200's playing MAME with no problems.

What link are you referring to? If it is http://www.gp2x.co.kr/ then please go to the website and click the F200 link and view the specifications where it states - Storage: SD Card.

Please, don't summarize the testing process reply and tell me everything you tried.

Here are the options I am willing to consider:

1. Refund my money
2. Send me a new GP2X-F200
3. Send me back my GP2X-F200 and the Kingmax 2GB card, and if it works I will pay for the SD card and the delivery.

24th Dec:

I am very sorry. Since the testing results show that the console still
works fine with sd card, I am afraid we can only send you back the
original console as stated in our previous emails.

'Please be reminded if the console still works fine after testing or if
there is any physical damage, we can only ship back the original item and
may need to charge you the shipment fee for returning back.'

Normally we will need to charge you the shipment fee for returning back,
but after considering your case, we can waive this fee and we can return
it by registered airmail free of charge. Can you please provide us the
complete shipping address for verification?

P.S. Since the console works fine with 'Kingmax 2GB' sd card, it's
probably related to the compatibility issue. Unfortunately, we are not
able to ship out other products without receiving the payment. We kindly
request for your understanding.

Best regards,

Tony
Play-Asia.com

Tony,

This is not acceptable. I wish to have a refund.

You have not detailed your testing process as requested, therefore I can only assume that putting a SD card in my GP2X-F200 and viewing some photos and movies is all that you have done.

This unit obviously has a defective SD card reader as it is not able to read all SD cards. Compatibility is not a viable argument when the GP2X-F200 claims to read SD cards.

bravo. Kick them. I'm trying to get new f200 - my has intelaced screen ;/ . i'm thinking that f200 is like XO. it's only a mater of time to have broken console.

WE FOUND THE SD CARD APPEARED NOT TO WORK - BY CHANGING BATTERY FOR NEW ONES DID THE TRICK.

The SD card is not the issue for me. I have two, different brands, that work flawlessly in my GP2X-F100. The card reader in my GP2X-F200 was corrupting the data on the card, even with the lock on. This was happening on fully charged batteries and using the adapter.

Another update...

28th Dec:

I am sorry. But as stated in our website, 'If the Seller is not satisfied
that the returned Product(s) is defective, the Seller will deliver the
returned Product(s) to the Customer at the Customer’s own cost.'
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-00-3-tos-49-en.html

Besides, please understand there are many sd cards released in the market,
we cannot guarantee if your sd card is compatible with the system.

Normally we will need to charge you the shipment fee for returning back,
but after considering your case, we can waive this fee and we can return
it by registered airmail free of charge. Can you please provide us the
complete shipping address for verification?

Best regards,

Tony
Play-Asia.com

Tony,

I'm sorry, but as stated in my previous email you still have not told me what you did to test if the SD card reader in my GP2X-F200 [was working] besides looking at a few pictures and playing a movie. You told me you had summarized the testing process. Well now is the time to expand. For example if you took your car to be serviced and the mechanic started it up and said, "Everything is alright", would you be satisfied. No is the answer. So please tell me that your testing process was a little more high tech.

To restate my other point, if I place an SD card in item that states it supports SD cards then there should be no compatibility problems, it should read all SD cards. If it does not then the item is sold under false pretence and the contract entered into should be null and void. Hence I restate my request for a full refund.

You may be interested to know that I have been posting our emails on the forums at http://www.gp32x.de/. Your customer service is on show for the whole world to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have caved into Play-asia.com's stonewalling and they are sending me back my GP2X-F200 with my newly purchased Kingmax Secure Digital Card 2GB which they claim they had no issues with.

When I receive them I will give you all an update.

This is not good news as I've just sent mine back with a similar problem! The difference with mine was that the SD card won't get recognised at all by the F-200. Altogether I tried, 8gb Toshiba SDHC, 8gb Integral SDHC, the Toshiba should have been compatible as Play-asia sell Toshiba cards! And a 1gb Kingston SD.......none of them were recognised at all. Hoping I get better luck with the testing process........let us know what happened with that new card!

I am still having problems with my GP2X-F200 reading the SD card. I have sent another email to Play-asia.com today...

9th Feb:

Hi Tony,

I am still having troubles with my GP2X-F200.

My GP2X-F200 has trouble reading the Kingmax SD card. For example I can copy some files onto the card using the USB connection and view the photos and play movies and everything is fine, however when I turn the GP2X-F200 on the next day it refuses to read the card. I can take the card out and place it my GP2X-F100 and it reads the data fine. I place the card back into my GP2X-F200 and nothing! I run through a process of turning the GP2X-F200 off, take the card out, put the card back in, and turn the GP2X-F200 back on until it the card gets recognized. This can be repeated up to 20 times before a successful boot.

Plus I have had two instances where the data on the card gets corrupted as before. I then have to reformat the card and copy all the data again. This has never happened once with my GP2X-F100!

Do you have any troubleshooting suggestions?

I maintain the card reader in my GP2X-F200 is faulty and if you can't help me solve this problem I will once again be sending the unit back to you and requesting a full refund.

wow, i got my f100 from PA, luckily I didnt have any problems. That testing process sounds like a joke... test jpg and avi files, once? I guess they don't know what quality control is.

Back