gp2x Shop Auslieferungen STARTEN!

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Gute Neuigkeiten!

Ich habe mir die offizielle GPL-Seite mal angesehen und folgendes in der FAQ gefunden:

"If you commercially distribute binaries not accompanied with source code, the GPL says you must provide a written offer to distribute the source code later."

Das heisst: Wenn ich schriftlich bestätige, dass ich den Sourcecode nachliefere, kann ich den gp2x ausliefern.
Das werde ich machen, da ich ja die Zusicherung habe, dass der Sourcecode kommt :)

Sollte hier ein GPL-Experte sitzen und ich habe das falsch verstanden: Bitte melden! Will bestimmt gegen keine Lizenzen und Gesetze verstossen!

EvilDragon said:
Sollte hier ein GPL-Experte sitzen und ich habe das falsch verstanden: Bitte melden! Will bestimmt gegen keine Lizenzen und Gesetze verstossen!

Ich bin zwar kein Experte, aber zumindestens theoretisch musst du den Source der Firmware releasen, die auch auf den Geräten ist. Und da anscheinend nur der Code der nächsten Firmware releast wird, könnte das Probleme geben. Auch wenn ich nicht glaube, dass einer so pedantisch ist.

Satan Claus said:
EvilDragon said:

Ich bin zwar kein Experte, aber zumindestens theoretisch musst du den Source der Firmware releasen, die auch auf den Geräten ist. Und da anscheinend nur der Code der nächsten Firmware releast wird, könnte das Probleme geben. Auch wenn ich nicht glaube, dass einer so pedantisch ist.

Das ist wirklich SEHR pedantisch ;)

hm ein fehler in der matrix äh gpl. das "later" kann man aber auch recht gut auslegen. ein später kann man ja im grunde mit einem nie gleichsetzen.
im übrigen erinnert mich die ganze sache an duke nukem forever :wink:

EvilDragon said:
Satan Claus said:
EvilDragon said:

naja, diese linux-besserwisser nehmen das sehr genau und verstehen da wenig spass.

da gibt es ja prozesse/klagen, die nur des prinzips wegen geführt werden.
ich an deiner stelle würde solche verantwortungen lieber weit möglichst bei GPH lassen, da sie erstens auch die verantwortlichen sind und du ein kleiner händler bist (oder die gute seele der gp2x szene) und möglichen gerichtlichen ärger wohl nicht so gut wegstecken kannst wie ein richtiges unternehmen.

O-bake said:
EvilDragon said:
Satan Claus said:

naja, diese linux-besserwisser nehmen das sehr genau und verstehen da wenig spass.

ich an deiner stelle würde solche verantwortungen lieber weit möglichst bei GPH lassen, da sie erstens auch die verantwortlichen sind und du ein kleiner händler bist (oder die gute seele der gp2x szene) und möglichen gerichtlichen ärger wohl nicht so gut wegstecken kannst wie ein richtiges unternehmen.

Die große Frage ist, wann endlich die neue Firmware mit dem Source kommt. Wenn die draußen ist und auch der Source der folgenden Firmwares rauskommt, dann hat sich die Sache größtenteils erledigt. Die wirklichen GPL-Verfechter, die sich nur wegen der GPL mit dem GP2X beschäftigen, werden dann wohl einen Haufen anderer Firmen finden, die gegen die GPL verstoßen.
Wenn die neue Firmware aber noch monatelang auf sich warten lässt, dann sieht die Sache anders aus.

First of all, IANAL. But you don't need to be as the laws are quite clear.

If it was my shop, I wouldn't be selling the GP2X's. I'd probably be recalling the ones I sold, and sueing my suppliers for fraud and sue them for damages (all the lost money in shipping + lost goodwill). I'd also sue any other distributors that are still selling unlicensed copies, as they are competing in an unfair way. I wouldn't be very popular, but at least not breaking the law.

I understand that to be successful, you have to look at all possible courses of action, and pick the one that will give the least amount of loss (where profit is just negative loss). So it might make more sense to just 'screw the gpl, sell the thing now, worry about license issues if/when someone ever bothers to really file a complaint; I'll be in Brazil by then anyway'

You probably wouldn't get anything out of sueing GPH/DignSys, as they'll just go bankrupt and leave you with nothing (or maybe you and the other creditors get to divide up their assets, (designs of gp2x etc)). You stand to lose a lot if GPH goes bust at this stage; maybe more than you would if anyone ever does challenge you in court for distributing unlicensed software.

If you just stop selling gp2xes, you lose a lot of potential sales to less scrupulous sellers. You can still be sued by anyone who already has a gp2x bought from your shop, or any of the copyright holders.

If you just start selling the devices again, with every gp2x sold you increase your potential loss... All it takes is one unscrupulous competitor, e.g. Sony, to get the ball rolling...

My reasoning why what you're doing is against the law: the official license is what counts and it is unfortunately quite clear, as it was written to be able to be understood by non-lawyers.
Below is the relevant actual text of the GPL (full text is here:http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt)

ED, as you're commercially distributing GPL based work, you must do one or more of options a),b)&c).

c) is not applicable (commercial distribution)
a) is not possible (you don't have the source to distribute along with it)
b) is what you're trying to go for, but you'll not be able to deliver. Notice the word corresponding? Because of the way dignsys has (appearantly) mixed incompatible licenses (oops, see clause 7: not allowed to distribute Program at all in that case), they'll never be able to give out the corresponding source. This option is meant to allow you to save some money because you don't need to send a disc with the code with every gp2x, that most people would just not use.

You can argue that just giving the offer to provide the source (and never provide it when asked) complies with the letter of the license. You'll probably not be in the boat for not abiding by the license in that case, but I think here in Europe the consequences of breaking the laws against fraud (which that would be) are even worse than copyright infringement...

Now, we all know the real culprits here are DignSys, and GPH. DignSys for mixing the code and then releasing it to GPH without telling them clearly enough it was just supposed to be for internal use, not for distribution to the general public, and WHY this was so. And GPH for releasing it anyway, without doublechecking if they could, all the while saying 'it's linux', implying licensed under the GNU GPL, implying availability of corresponding source. But, you're in violation too, and an easier target, as you're in Europe, and not in far away Korea.
3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it,
under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of
Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:

a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable
source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections
1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,

b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three
years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your
cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete
machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be
distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium
customarily used for software interchange; or,

c) Accompany it with the information you received as to the offer
to distribute corresponding source code. (This alternative is
allowed only for noncommercial distribution and only if you
received the program in object code or executable form with such
an offer, in accord with Subsection b above.)

The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for
making modifications to it. For an executable work, complete source
code means all the source code for all modules it contains, plus any
associated interface definition files, plus the scripts used to
control compilation and installation of the executable. However, as a
special exception, the source code distributed need not include
anything that is normally distributed (in either source or binary
form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the
operating system on which the executable runs, unless that component
itself accompanies the executable.

If distribution of executable or object code is made by offering
access to copy from a designated place, then offering equivalent
access to copy the source code from the same place counts as
distribution of the source code, even though third parties are not
compelled to copy the source along with the object code.

Leider nicht legal

<t>Da der GP2X mit einer Firmware ausgeliefert wuerde, dessen Sourcecode nie veroeffentlicht wird, waere das ganze leider nicht legal.<br/>
Da im OpenSource-Lager sehr streng auf die Lizenzen geachtet wird (finde ich auch sinnvoll), waere es gut moeglich dass da eingegriffen wird. Ich kenne aber nur Faelle, in denen Druck angewandt wurde, um schlussendlich die Veroeffentlichung des Sourcecodes zu "erzwingen".<br/>
Dann hoffen wir mal, dass die Jungs von GP2X vorwaerts machen :)<br/>
Schade, dass es immer wieder solche Faelle gibt. Besonders da die Lizenz ja ziemlich bekannt und ueberall publiziert ist.</t>

wo kein klaeger ist...
ich find die formulierung klasse, vielleicht bringt gph ja "spaeter" die 1.2 sourcen raus.
Ich kann mir kaum vorstellen das irgendjemand ED verklagt weil er gegen die GPL verstoesst.... die meisten menschen haben da sinnvollere dinge zu tuhen, vor allem Linux user und GPL verfechter...

tracer87 said:
wo kein klaeger ist...
The point is, the world is not a nice place, and it is filled with a lot of bastards. I wouldn't be surprised if e.g. Lik-Sang, who'se been holding out on sending out orders, were to sue eventually. He really has nothing much to lose.
ich find die formulierung klasse, vielleicht bringt gph ja "spaeter" die 1.2 sourcen raus.

Confucius say:'When in hole, stop digging.' You can't promise something you can't deliver, or are unsure of being able to deliver. If you do, you're just digging a deeper hole for yourself..
Ich kann mir kaum vorstellen das irgendjemand ED verklagt weil er gegen die GPL verstoesst.... die meisten menschen haben da sinnvollere dinge zu tuhen, vor allem Linux user und GPL verfechter...

The point is, the world is not a nice place, and it is filled with a lot of bastards. I wouldn't be surprised if e.g. Lik-Sang, who'se been holding out on sending out orders, were to sue ED for false competition. He really has nothing much to lose.

If I was a large evil cooperation that marketed a similar device (*cough* Sony), I'd (use a strawman to) sue ED and Craigix out of the water (which should be easy), simultaniously ridding myself of (the?) two main distributors of the competing product and ripping the heart out of its 'scene', maybe even scaring off homebrewers in general. Then I'd pressure the other distributors (join the darkside or be squashed like those other two) (and maybe even Craigix and ED, who now have nothing to lose (and therefore a lot to gain)) to join me in sueing GPH too, strengthening my case, to dry up the source of gp2xes for good. Then I'd go after DignSys, just because I could and to make a point: don't play with OpenSource, or you will get burnt.

I don't have my own business because of all the laws wouldn't make it fun to do. If other people are ignoring some of the laws and make a profit too, it pisses me off. I'm not pissed off enough to do something about it, and probably never will, but someone else quite easily might... Just because you are a nice guy, doesn't mean people will be nice to you in return. Some will just think "Muhaha, sucker, pwned!".

And who knows, the interlaced lcd, crap-stick and incomplete source might annoy someone enough to destroy some other peoples fun. Or maybe one of those people who thinks it's fun to make others lose their livelyhood starts a courtcase...

Laws are laws. They're not necessarily fair, just, nor do some even make sense to well-thinking individuals. Unfortunately, you have to live by them as the judge will base his verdict on the law, not on your karma.

P.

tracer87 said:
wo kein klaeger ist...

Der 1.2 Source wird wohl nie rauskommen, da er anscheinend ja fremden kommerziellen Code enthält. Da hat DignSys richtig Mist gebaut, da sie jetzt in einer Zwickmühle sitzen - geben sie ihn raus, klagen DivX & Co ihnen die Bude leer und geben sie ihn nicht raus, steht schon ein wütender Haufen Pinguine mit brennenden Fackeln vor dem Werkstor.
Das Problem ist ja, dass wirklich nur ein Hardcore-GPLer mit der festen Klageabsicht den GP2X kaufen muss. Und wenn ich mir angucke, was die ganze Geschichte für Wellen bei Slashdot geschlagen hat, dann kann ich mir das durchaus vorstellen.
Was uns wieder zu dem Fazit bringt: DignSys soll verdammt nochmal hinnemachen!

The people at DignSys probably deserve to be ruined, they should never have given out the contaminated code to GPH. And if they die, it's not a big problem for the GP2x owners.
It might even save GPH, because they can say: we were lied to, we did all that we could to get the source, but it turned out DS lied to us. We've complained and even sued them, but they just didn't listen. Please sent back your units at our expense, and you'll get you money back (most people that have one now wouldn't). Then they could sell 'blank' gp2xes to be loaded with a community os.

If I was going after DS, I'd probably wait just a little longer, until they've published ther lobotomized source, then swoop in. "It is clear they mixed code, and had to rip it out, they'll never be able to release sources for the earlier firmware, I/we have been lied to, false advertising, damages, yadda,yadda". The we'd have (most of) the source, and ruin those nasty/naive guys...

But actually GPH should be covering their ass and sue DignSys now for breach of contract (depending on the terms of their contract), fraud ('this code is free to use') etc. or they risk themselves going down even more.

It would suck to have the gp2x fail, but it would actually be quite funny to see the whole process of GPH/Dignsys going down, all for the price of admission of about 180 euro... Too bad about the lives of persons involved (_especially_ ED and Craigix, as I like them), but as we say in Holland "Geen mooier vermaak dan leedvermaak" (leedvermaak=Schaedefreude, you guys probably have a similar saying).

P.

O-bake said:

Hast du konkrete Beispiele?

Btw diese "Linux-Besserwisser" sind die Autoren einer Software, anderenfalls hätten sie nicht das Recht gegen einen GPL-Verstoß vorzugehen.

Tja - dann muss ich wohl doch wieder den Verkauf stoppen.
Blöd, da der Sourcecode nicht vor nächster Woche veröffentlicht wird :/

EDIT: Und keine Angst - untergehen wird der gp2x nicht. Open2x ist fast soweit, dass man es als Alternative hernehmen kann, im Notfall liefern wir den gp2x damit aus.

Waere eine Loesung

<t>> Open2x ist fast soweit, dass man es als Alternative hernehmen kann, im Notfall liefern wir den gp2x damit aus.<br/>
<br/>
Das waere natuerlich eine Loesung. Kannst ja dann noch einen Zettel beilegen, wo der Link zum Sourcecode von Open2x ist und dazu eine kurze beschreibung, wie man die "boese" Original-Version draufflasht.<br/>
Fragt sich halt nur, ob sich der Aufwand lohnt wenn der Release der neuen unter GPL stehenden Version ja schon bald sein sollte(!?)</t>

Re: Waere eine Loesung

<r><QUOTE author="Devaux"><s>
Devaux said:
</s>
Fragt sich halt nur, ob sich der Aufwand lohnt wenn der Release der neuen unter GPL stehenden Version ja schon bald sein sollte(!?)<e>
</e></QUOTE>

Naja, ob es wirklich bald ist, ist die große Frage. Laut dem GP32x-Forum soll erst die 1.5 Firmware mit dem Source veröffentlicht werden. <br/>
Die Version 1.3 ist fertig und die Version 1.4 befindet sich in einem halböffentlichen Betatest - aber es wird aus verständlichen Gründen keinen offiziellen Release geben. <br/>
Daher muss DignSys bis zum Release immerhin noch eine ganze Firmwareversion proggen. Ich hab zwar absolut keine Ahnung, was die da noch alles machen wollen / müssen, aber das kann noch einige Zeit dauern. <br/>
<br/>
Kleiner Tipp am Rande: Laut craigix gibts die 1.4 im Devchannel. Aber bitte nervt die armen Devs nicht <E>;)</E></r>

Re: Waere eine Loesung

<r><QUOTE author="Satan Claus"><s>
Satan Claus said:
</s><QUOTE author="Devaux"><s>
Devaux said:
</s>
Fragt sich halt nur, ob sich der Aufwand lohnt wenn der Release der neuen unter GPL stehenden Version ja schon bald sein sollte(!?)<e>
</e></QUOTE>

Daher muss DignSys bis zum Release immerhin noch eine ganze Firmwareversion proggen. Ich hab zwar absolut keine Ahnung, was die da noch alles machen wollen / müssen, aber das kann noch einige Zeit dauern. <br/>

<e>
</e></QUOTE>

Duke Nuke'm Forever... Real Soon Now... On the other hand, they don't have to program a whole new firmware, it's an incremental cycle. The beta testers report problems with the 1.4, and the programmers fix them by introducing new bugs that are hopefully less obvious. In the mean time they can also separate the code out some more, and make it fit for release.</r>

Wo liegt eigentlich das Problem?

<t>Wieso releasen Sie nicht einfach den Source der aktuellen Version? Was haben die Jungs zu verbergen? In der Featureliste sehe ich nichts, was ein "normales" Linux nicht auch auf einem ARM hinkriegen wuerde...</t>

Der 1.2 Source wird wohl nie rauskommen, da er anscheinend ja fremden kommerziellen Code enthält. Da hat DignSys richtig Mist gebaut, da sie jetzt in einer Zwickmühle sitzen - geben sie ihn raus, klagen DivX & Co ihnen die Bude leer und geben sie ihn nicht raus, steht schon ein wütender Haufen Pinguine mit brennenden Fackeln vor dem Werkstor.
Das Problem ist ja, dass wirklich nur ein Hardcore-GPLer mit der festen Klageabsicht den GP2X kaufen muss. Und wenn ich mir angucke, was die ganze Geschichte für Wellen bei Slashdot geschlagen hat, dann kann ich mir das durchaus vorstellen.

Hmmm...aber ich hab doch irgendwo gelesen, dass GPH pro verkauftem GP2X eine Hand voll Dollar an Lizengebüren an DivX bezahlt...oder täusche ich mich da?

dass der GP2X nun erstma doch nicht ausgeliefert wird, ist zwar schade (hab meinen nämlich noch nicht :() aber durchaus nachvollziehbar.

gruß

B4N5H33

Back