Gp2x, Why?

antaresuk posted on Oct 14 2005 at 06:24 AM said:
IMO the GP2X needs to have some emus that are unique to the GP2X. So it can be differentiated from being gp32_console more powerful brother.

When a full speed Amiga emu comes out (ever optimistic) then that would definitely sell units.

The GP2X will have emu's that are unique to it, but it's not going to happen overnight. Although some emulators can be ported in a weekend, don't expect them to offer anything more than what the GP32 does already. The best ones take time to develope.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a FLU which I have been very happy with over the past 2 years and am going to keep. I was going to get a BLU for the nicer contrast/gamma in one particular emulator *cough* CaSTaway *cough* but then news of the 2x broke and I thought may as well wait.

The reason I am getting a 2x instead of a PSP is although I can afford a PSP why spend that much on the console + 1gig sony mem stick when the GP2X plus 1 gig card is almost half the price.

And besides small companies that deliver products like this, putting their balls on the line to deliver what we want deserve support.

IMO anyway. B)

I am torn on it.
I have went off my GP32 due to its power just being so limited and development for it dropping off, with this though it could breath new life back into portable emulation.
A major factor though is will it be able to emulate Neo Geo?
Also I have heard of a decent homebrew PSP scene and one or two DS things- also if I go for them I have commercial games too....

So really unsure.

A bad point on the GP2x is that though it adds extra buttons it still seems to have a cruddy joystick not a pad...

Actually upon thinking and checking out the specs...2*200mhz processors? 64 mb ram?
Dual processors didn't work out for the saturn leaving it with rather cruddy power and 200 isn't that much of a leap over the 166 of the gp32... Meh I'm no expert on these things. Time will tell. Wonder if it could be capable of psx/saturn emulation in the future.

I will try it one my projetor... Right now watching movies in 720p HDTV resolutions from my Xbox rocks...
GPx2 might look great too, atleast for playing old classics..

The screensize is around 2m wide :D !!!

Dark_TB posted on Oct 14 2005 at 07:19 PM said:
I will try it one my projetor... Right now watching movies in 720p HDTV resolutions from my Xbox rocks...

I seem to recall a warning against projectors came with all NES games... Long ago, so they might have advanced a bit. ;)

Jarska333 posted on Oct 14 2005 at 07:22 PM said:
Dark_TB posted on Oct 14 2005 at 07:19 PM said:

I seem to recall a warning against projectors came with all NES games... Long ago, so they might have advanced a bit. ;)

That were with projection TVs, not projectors :p

Last edited:
Jarska333 posted on Oct 14 2005 at 11:03 PM said:
No, those were for front projection or back projection tv's. What is a front projection tv if not projector?

The difference with the projection TVs is that they have a special screen which gets burn ins, and some NES games didn't change much, so they burnt it.

If you use a projector, you can't burn in... well, I haven't seen any burnt-in walls ;)

Last edited:
EvilDragon posted on Oct 15 2005 at 01:11 PM said:
No, those were for front projection or back projection tv's. What is a front projection tv if not projector?

The difference with the projection TVs is that they have a special screen which gets burn ins, and some NES games didn't change much, so they burnt it.

If you use a projector, you can't burn in... well, I haven't seen any burnt-in walls ;)

Ever been to Hiroshima? Though, I doubt any contemporary projectors have the luminescence of nuclear flash... :huh:

Josquius posted on Oct 15 2005 at 01:15 AM said:
I am torn on it.
I have went off my GP32 due to its power just being so limited and development for it dropping off

Development for GP32 dropping off? It's been stronger than ever in the past few months!

A major factor though is will it be able to emulate Neo Geo?

Wonder if it could be capable of psx/saturn emulation in the future.
PSX is a definite wait and see. Forget the Saturen though. Even todays modern 3+gHz PCs have trouble emuing Saturn.

The major Factor for me re GP2X would be Amiga and/or MegaCD emulation, but I'll be getting one at some point (hopefully early next year) anyway.

EvilDragon posted on Oct 15 2005 at 11:11 AM said:

Depends what kind of projector it is. It it is an LCD or DLP projector you are probably OK. If it is a CRT projector you can definetly get burn in. The reason they burn in is that they are still using CRT "guns" which are nothing more than 3 single color CRTs. These CRTs are cranked up super bright, bright enough to shine the image through a lens and on to a wall and still have enough brightness to see. Since they are driven so hard they tend to burn in with static images. It is actually worse with front projectors because they are driven harder than rear projection sets or direct view sets.

White Demon posted on Oct 15 2005 at 04:45 PM said:
Development for GP32 dropping off? It's been stronger than ever in the past few months!

I've missed it and have been watching casually. What has there been?

PSX is a definite wait and see. Forget the Saturen though. Even todays modern 3+gHz PCs have trouble emuing Saturn.

Really? Why? Isn't the Saturn weaker the playstation when it comes to 3D? Is it to do with its complex make up?
Anyway PCs can't even emulate PSXs decently...

Really? Why? Isn't the Saturn weaker the playstation when it comes to 3D?
The Saturn is technically almost twice as fast as the PSX, though the PSX is much better with 3D since it has two custom processors for 3D.
Is it to do with its complex make up?
Basically. The Saturn has its own custom (from Yamaha) sound processor and a Hitatchi CPU, both of which are not exactly popular or extensively documented. And on a similar note, the one open-source Saturn emulator that has good compatability is just a giant glob of a dozen-or-so MB of ASM.
Sure they can, if they're fast enough.

Anyone have an idea if it'll be capable of N64 emulation? Being the last cart'-based system the images are a lot smaller than the cd-based sytems. I for one won't be wasting 700mb of storage to play (even) lower-framerate TombRaider, despite my love of the original title. I've got a PS2 for my old stuff (Kula World + NFS1 primarily).

I'd really like to see Jaguar emulation, there were a few nice titles (Tempest 2000, Alien vs Predator, Doom) that would make it worthwhile.

How about a Dos emulator?

Mmmm, makes me look forward to seeing what our super-devs can get running!

Josquius posted on Oct 16 2005 at 03:27 AM said:
White Demon posted on Oct 15 2005 at 04:45 PM said:

I've missed it and have been watching casually. What has there been?

Check the news section of the forum. All the good stuff is in there.

As a taster, there's been HEAPS of new hb games, even scene demos, as well as a new version of DrSMS and even Reesy's updated version of SNES9XGP (with perfect sound)....

Really? Why? Isn't the Saturn weaker the playstation when it comes to 3D? Is it to do with its complex make up?

Saturn is actually technically superior to Playstation in terms of what it could do. It's just that hardly anyone knew how to program it properly, due to, as you mention, it's complex make-up. Even most people within Sega didn't know how to program properly for it. The Saturn and Playstation were both actually designed to handle four sided polygons, it's just that the PSX could also handle triangles easier than the Saturn. So technically, the Playstation was never programmed properly either.

As for decent PSX emu on PC, my PC (P4 2.8gHz, 512MB RAM, 128MB FX5200) runs ePSXe almost flawlessly.

alyinsanfran posted on Oct 16 2005 at 12:06 PM said:
Anyone have an idea if it'll be capable of N64 emulation?

In before DaveC!

No, the GP2X won't be able to do N64, at least not at any playable speed.
Remeber, PSX main CPU was only 33mHz (IIRC), the N64s was 99.somethingorother mHz. And then of course there's all those other custom chips too...

I wouldn't expect to see Jaguar running well either, and even DosBox may only be able to attain a 12-16mHz 286 with no sound at most.

Like I said earlier, even the PSX is a wait and see job. Anything after that (Saturn, N64 etc) simply won't be possible on GP2X.

Simply put... I want to have some fun and keep teaching myself to code :p that and I'm addicted to videogames :D

iignotus posted on Oct 16 2005 at 05:14 AM said:
And on a similar note, the one open-source Saturn emulator that has good compatability is just a giant glob of a dozen-or-so MB of ASM.

What emulator is this called?

Getting off topic for a minute, I just tried out a few Windows based Saturn emulators. The only one that worked was a Japanese one, SSF 0.007 Alpha R12. It was amazing, ran any game I threw at it, with full effects and seemed full speed too. It even supported my Xbox pad without any hassle! Other emulators, such as Cassini and especially Satourne, refused to run anything.

I hope they implement support for the Saturn analog pad soon, then it would really rock. But hell, I'm just stoked that I can play games like Burning Rangers, Daytona etc on my PC instead of having to set my Saturn up.

I have heard of the Saturn being more powerful though I also knew most games didn't take full advantage of this and most games were technically inferior to the PSX, if the Saturn had reached its full potential then it would have been superior to the PSX though as it is...

I've never been able to get a psx emulator working at all and my computer is not all that bad (2.4ghz, over 1gb ram, decent graphics card).
PSX emulation is only possible with a lot of messing on putting out of reach of the layman or the lazy man (i.e. me). I just hope some day it'll reach the stage of plug and play like SNES emulation.

My code learning is a long way off. Am doing a degree in computing science though all attempts in the past to teach myself failed miserably. So may see something from me in 3 years :p

The saturn was only meant to be a single processor system. According to Next Generation magazine after Sega saw what the Playstation was capable of they ran back the the lab and added the extra processor in an attempt to match or beat their new competator. So it could indeed be more powerful but unfortunatly in their haste it seems they weren't able to document how to USE the extra processor well enough or fast enough for developers and thus few of them took the time to bother as they were too busy rakeing in profits from all the PS games they were making money on.

What I heard too.
They thought after the failure of the 32x and mega cd that there wasn't much of a market for 3d and concentrated on making the saturn a purely good 2d console, the added processor was for 3d handling to challenge the psx.

This dual processor not working out as well as one brings us back to the gp2x...

Back