Gp2X Wiz Vs Pandora

benjsh

Still Fresh
Hi
I am about to get a gp2x wiz and now I just read about the Pandora.

I see it is almost the same but Pandora is a little faster.

Anyone know other differences?
Pandora seems to have longer battery?

Basically I need to play dreamcast emulator on it.

I have around 50 Original Dreamcast games so I wonder if I can download the emulator versions and play legally?
Is the gp2x powerfully enough to run the dreamcast emulator or need the pandora?
Thanks for a great forum.

Hi and welcome. The Dreamcast emulator is still VERY early in development.. I don't know that you should be buying either of these systems based only on Dreamcast emulation - especially for the Wiz as I don't even know if the Pandora DC emu will be compatible with the Wiz (I'm guessing no, since the pandora will have NEON optimizations and other stuff that the Wiz can't do). If you WERE to buy one for DC (and I'm not saying you should), I would definitely go with Pandora, if only for the screen and controls. The Pandora is indeed more powerful, too.

Edit: Forgot to mention: you shouldn't count on the DC emu being able to play a large number (or even ANY, really) of your games at full-speed. As I said, it's very early in development, so it's hard to say (although what they've done is impressive!).

yeah where can I download the dreamcast emulator for pandora?
Anyone also know a place to download the games?

Yeah, the Pandora has a keyboard.
And the DC emu is barely ready on Pandora, and it might never run full speed on the Wiz, being less powerful.
How closely were you looking at either of these devices?

There is no download for it that I know of, since neither the Pandora or DC emulator for it have actually been released. o_O

Edit: also, this probably isn't the place to ask where to download DC games.

I saw the DC emulator on youtube so that is why i figured.

I have the original DC games so it should be ok.

He might just be asking for free pandora homebrew. And the answer is you can find that in the file archive: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi

its not very full yet but it will be

The screen:

Wiz: 320×240 2.8 inch AMOLED Touch Screen
Pandora: 800x480 widescreen (5:3), 4.3 inches, touchscreen LCD.

So, the Pandora has a bigger screen with a higher resolution, while the Wiz has a screen that has black that is REALLY black. People say it's good for arcade games.

The Pandora has an additional SD slot.

The Pandora has 265 MB ram versus 64 MB for the Wiz.

I don't know enough about processors to speak with authority, but I think the Pandora's is better (with an additional graphics chip).

You're also getting an entire keyboard. And more than twice the weight.

The battery of the Pandora has twice the capacity, but I don't know enough about battery usage.

And here is a comparison of the pandora and the gp2x.

I shouldn't do this. But I do it anyway just to spite you all.

Starting the exact same threads in different subforums is cool now? Followed the user SONY's bad example, eh?

If you want to know about differences read the information that is available on the forums. People always come here and want answers on a silver plate.

great
just need the download link to the dc emulator now I saw in the video they played crazy taxi.
I logged in at http://dl.openhandhe...bin/pandora.cgi but dont find it anywhere there.

Well, the wiz is very nice for what it does. It is a refined GP2X(better screen, slightly better controls,wonky touch screen). Dreamcast is a pipe dream at best on that unit. Full speed emulation on the Pandora is a far strecth, but 50-90% speed is very possible in the long run. I own a Wiz, and I will be listing it on ebay as soon as I get a confirmation email that my Pandora is on the way. The Wiz can do SNES and earlier(some arcade emu's run full speed also), to varying degrees, but the Pandora should be able to handle PS1 and all consoles and cumputers before with a very high rate of full emulation(N64 is the only question mark at the moment). The full qwerty keyboard, dual analog, precise designed d-pad, is all to much to list, but is all for great gaming control. For me there is no contest, but each person needs to ask what they fully want in a handheld open source device, and go from there. Good luck!

Jumpman

it says in the wiki
Will Pandora be able to emulate the Sega Dreamcast / Anything recent?

No. Anything newer / more advanced than the Playstation that is not otherwise mentioned here is not likely to ever be emulated on Pandora in a useful manner. However, some developers believe it will be possible to emulate Dreamcast with dynamic recompilation at decent speed. [24]

but on youtube they have a video where it works !?

benjsh said:
great
just need the download link to the dc emulator now I saw in the video they played crazy taxi.
I logged in at http://dl.openhandhe...bin/pandora.cgi but dont find it anywhere there.

Just get in the queue for a Pandora first and download when it's due.

Last edited by a moderator:
benjsh said:
but on youtube they have a video where it works !?

The game in the Youtube video runs very slowly. Don't count on decent Dreamcast emulation in the near future. In fact don't count on it at all, it may never happen. The DC emulator exists and it works but there's a big difference between the current build and a playable version.

benjsh said:
great
It's not downloadable yet. The video you saw was done by the developers of the emulator. It's an example of where they are going with it. It is not ready for regular people to use yet. It needs a lot of improvements still.

I just ordered a pandora now so I will be glad to beta test the dreamcast emulator.

benjsh said:
I just ordered a pandora now so I will be glad to beta test the dreamcast emulator.

Welcome to the Community! :)

Back