Gp2x's Joystic, What Is It?

nik166

:3 :3 :3
well, all is in the title i guess :D
i've been wondering, what's the joystic of that GP2x ?

i've been very deceived by the GP32's one, with it's big dead zone between simple on/off clicks, i think nothing is better that 4 buttons for logic functions , am i the only one to prefer that ?

i read that the gp2x is NOT Aanalog, but 12 ways?
what's 12 ways? if i count 4 directions, plus 4 diagonals, there still 4 things that i don't know what to do with the 4 last ones ?!

plus the "push clic" isn't it one way ?

is the XGP using the same thing?

do you believe in this concept of non-analog stick ? :p

Jarska333 posted on Oct 21 2005 at 11:29 PM said:
I thought it was 12-way digital... As in 12 microswitches. :)

Put it this way, you can read 8 I/O lines (N, N/E, E, S/E, S etc.) :) so that counts as 8 way digital in my book :D.

Last edited by a moderator:
darkplayer posted on Oct 21 2005 at 10:57 PM said:
the gp32 could emulate diagonal that means that a gp2x can emulate 16 ways :)

16 ? not 8 ? :D

the question is: how many microswitches does the gp2x have?

the gp32 had 4 that gives with cobinitions 8 ways.

does the gp2x have 8 microswitches? that would give it 16 ways.

but i'm not sure, where the advantage is, actually. at least for emulation and porting theres no use for these additional 8 ways.

darkplayer posted on Oct 21 2005 at 11:57 PM said:
Yes, thats right, and if you ask me it's 8 ways too many. My code will currently handle 16 ways and it was far too sensitive for what I wanted, so I made it ignore the extra 8 ways and now I have a good old fashioned 8 way stick again :).

woogal posted on Oct 22 2005 at 12:33 AM said:
darkplayer posted on Oct 21 2005 at 11:57 PM said:
Yes, thats right, and if you ask me it's 8 ways too many. My code will currently handle 16 ways and it was far too sensitive for what I wanted, so I made it ignore the extra 8 ways and now I have a good old fashioned 8 way stick again :).
but cant you just skip the emulating and just go with the microswitches? :huh:

if it's 12 then how are they placed?

like hours on a watch so there are 2 diagonals in each corner?
do we really need 8 diagonals?

sometimes i don't understand what's in the creator's minds, especially for a machine who is SO MUCH around emulation of machines that have 4 ways .......

i think the logic stick was the biggest problem of the GP32, i'm afraid it will still be the problem of the GP2x :blink:

Digital Awakening posted on Oct 21 2005 at 11:45 PM said:
The devboard shots we have seen had 12 switches. 12 is so uneaven that I'd be happy if there are 8 switches.

Those were solder joints not switches. You could see 2 joints per diagonal switch to give 8 and only one joint was showing for the N,S,E,W switches giving an apparent 4 for those (the other joint must have been on the bottom or something) giving the illusion of 12 contacts. So there was a total of 12 joints visible 4 hidden giving 16 joints. Since each switch must have two connections each 16/2 =8.

In short there are 8 switches.

darkplayer posted on Oct 22 2005 at 12:55 AM said:
If you just do what the switches tell you, you will always process 16 directions, as you will say 'is up pressed?' and it will return yes, then you ask 'is up-left pressed?' and it will also return yes. To knock it back to a more sensible 8 directions you have to ignore double values and check for 'up-left and not up and not left' etc.

And to everyone else - can we please cut all the 'how many microswitches' crap. The fact is there are only 8 values returned from the hardware so it doesn't matter if there are 8, 12, or 200 switches, you will still only get 8 digital values set.

reallynotnick posted on Oct 22 2005 at 01:06 AM said:
Well whats wrong with 8? 8 is perfect!

Even though woogal said not too, I thought there was 12 switchs meaning a possible of 24 directions (just like the gp32 had 4 and could do 8 directions). Sure it would be through some sort of emulation but it would work right?

You didn't read my post I guess. There are not 12 switches there are 8. Those that some confused for switches are solder points.

woogal posted on Oct 22 2005 at 01:10 AM said:
darkplayer posted on Oct 22 2005 at 12:55 AM said:
If you just do what the switches tell you, you will always process 16 directions, as you will say 'is up pressed?' and it will return yes, then you ask 'is up-left pressed?' and it will also return yes. To knock it back to a more sensible 8 directions you have to ignore double values and check for 'up-left and not up and not left' etc.

And to everyone else - can we please cut all the 'how many microswitches' crap. The fact is there are only 8 values returned from the hardware so it doesn't matter if there are 8, 12, or 200 switches, you will still only get 8 digital values set.

Thax for explaning :)

what i wanna know is....will we be able to replace the joystick for a proper dpad? some kind of small dpad that fits right in that shaft we've seen in the board shot and that'll fit in the case as well.
looks doable!

junker posted on Oct 22 2005 at 04:03 PM said:
what i wanna know is....will we be able to replace the joystick for a proper dpad? some kind of small dpad that fits right in that shaft we've seen in the board shot and that'll fit in the case as well.
looks doable!
you mean replacing the joystick by another joystick ?

Back