Gp2x's Joystic, What Is It?

Jarska333 posted on Oct 22 2005 at 06:23 PM said:
Nope, joypad.

but real joypad would mean accessing to switches and not a shaft, no?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunno, the way I see is this:

pad2en.gif

It's not easy, drawing with a mouse. I wonder if lightpen would work on GP2X?

that would be exactly the same, you still have to move the joypad in every directions instead of pressing it's extremities ;)

if you don't get rid of the shaft, you still have a short joystick! ;)

yeah, i thought about that right after, too!
no shaft for joypad ;)
nice diagram jarska

I do know what they must have been thinking:

People will make 3D games, or maybe even emulate 3D games. A 8 way D-stick is 2 times better for emulating a analog stick than the GP32's 4 way D-stick, and 4 times better for emulating a analog stick than a 4 way D-pad or keyboard direction keys are. If extra directions are unwanted, they can be done away with in source code, or possibly the SDK, leaving the best of both worlds for emulation and homebrew

It is a little crazy though.

The best thing with a 16 way stick is that you get better control in games with free motion like a regular shoot'em up. You will also be able to aim better in games like platformers. And finally it will be easier to control a pointer in strategy games.

Digital Awakening posted on Oct 22 2005 at 08:52 PM said:
The best thing with a 16 way stick is that you get better control in games with free motion like a regular shoot'em up. You will also be able to aim better in games like platformers. And finally it will be easier to control a pointer in strategy games.
but still not as good as analog joystick :D

the best would have been a psp-like thing, with a good cross AND a little stick :)
strangely the psp is more emulation(etc)-compliant in it's handling (and with the little HDD by datel etc ... :D )

i really wonder why gamepark loves logic sticks so much, really :blink:

nik166 posted on Oct 22 2005 at 03:02 PM said:

the best would have been a psp-like thing, with a good cross AND a little stick :)
strangely the psp is more emulation(etc)-compliant in it's handling (and with the little HDD by datel etc ... :D )

They love 'em 'cus I love 'em!!

I realy dont like the psp's stick and dpad.
I think gp's microswitch solution is the best you can get if you want a robust stick. and 8 switches ensure proper diagonals, with only 4 they often are pretty unprecise.

Jarska333 posted on Oct 22 2005 at 10:14 PM said:
Can't have crosses, Ninty has patented them. :)

(I think churches are exempt from that patent...)

yeah but sega and sony used different things that work just as well as a cross! :D so why not gamepark ? :p

Vimacs posted on Oct 22 2005 at 10:28 PM said:
I realy dont like the psp's stick and dpad.
I think gp's microswitch solution is the best you can get if you want a robus stick.

but i don't want a robust stick i want a pad!!! :D

why don't you like PSP's pad? it's the same as other playstations isn't it?

nik166 posted on Oct 23 2005 at 12:02 AM said:
Depends on what you use it for. An analog stick is not too nice for emulation of d-pads and for simple 2D games and that's probably most stuff we'll see on the GP2X.
nik166 posted on Oct 23 2005 at 12:34 AM said:
Jarska333 posted on Oct 22 2005 at 10:14 PM said:
Can't have crosses, Ninty has patented them. :)

(I think churches are exempt from that patent...)

yeah but sega and sony used different things that work just as well as a cross! :D so why not gamepark ? :p
Well, that is EXACTLY what they do. They use a digital stick which should work as well as a d-pad if not better.

nik166 posted on Oct 23 2005 at 12:41 AM said:
why don't you like PSP's pad? it's the same as other playstations isn't it?
I wish it ware, its way harder and not nearly as precise. also the location of it is just not right.

OrR posted on Oct 22 2005 at 10:44 PM said:
Well, that is EXACTLY what they do. They use a digital stick which should work as well as a d-pad if not better.

no, stick is no good i hate them! :p the GP32 is the best proof :p
was gp32 also "as well if not better"? :D even the NOMAD's pad (with it's "clok" sound :D) is better than the GP32's stick ! :p

i do not trust gamepark for joysticks AT ALL! :angry:

nah, psp's dpad pretty shit...try playing a game like guardian heroes on it :D
sega dpad would've been nice, but i'm curious about this stick and how it'll feel.

nik166 posted on Oct 22 2005 at 10:02 PM said:

Depends what you will play. Digital is much better for emulation, Analog better for 3D. Since most of the stuff on the Gp2X wil be emus digital is best.

The nice thing about the 16 way if it can be programmed that way is that it will make a good mouse alternative. It will also be good in games like centipede and missile command. Then you can programm it to only go 8 or 4 way for games like Pac-Man. It COULD be versitile. I haven't played with one yet so I don't know. If they got the dead zone rihgt it will be good, if not MOD time.

Back