Gp32 Blu Or Ds, Which Has A Better Screen?

Pulstar

Website
Visit site
I was just wondering, for those of you that have both a GP32 BLU and a Nintendo DS, which one has a better looking screen(s). I have a DS and I'm thinking about getting a BLU. The DS screens look good, but the viewing angle sucks. If you're not looking straight at it you can't see it at all, hard to see if someone next to you is watching. Is the BLU like this? How does the brightness and contrast compare? Maybe someone could take a side by side pic? Thanks for any info...

DS, when i put both next to each other it just seems nicer

and ffs the screen size doesnt make a difference, when you play mario 64 its hard to remember your not playing it on a TV

I have both and have done a direct comparison. I compared it to the top screen as that is what is used for main screen. The obvious thing is the GP32 has a much larger higher resolution screen. The other thing is that the black level is noticeably better on the BLU, and the screen is brighter, giving better contrast. The viewing angle doesn't change as drastically as the DS either. I noticed with the DS when you change the angle slightly it washes out more. The BLU you can change the angle pretty much without any loss of contrast. The lighting on the BLU seems more even across the screen as well, the DS screen has a light area on the left edge of the screen. I compared these side to side (did it when I got the DS) and this is fact. I do have the glass screen mod so that may help slightly.

Thanks for all the input. It seems DaveC knew exactly what I was trying to find out, thanks Dave. ;) I know the BLU has a larger screen with better resolution, I used to have a FLU. I've been itching to get a BLU for months now. I figure I can do without the DS until later when better games and a flash card with homebrew and emus comes out.

So if someone forced you to get rid of the DS or the BLU, which would you keep?

Thanks for all the input. It seems DaveC knew exactly what I was trying to find out, thanks Dave.   ;)  I know the BLU has a larger screen with better resolution, I used to have a FLU. I've been itching to get a BLU for months now. I figure I can do without the DS until later when better games and a flash card with homebrew and emus comes out.

So if someone forced you to get rid of the DS or the BLU, which would you keep?

Right now I would keep the BLU. It has a *MUCH* better screen than the washed out (when lit) FLU screen by the way, not even close. I did notice that the Ds top screen was real directional the day I got it. Overall it is not bad though, the small size is my biggest beef with the Ds. There also just isn't much out for the DS yet. To me though they are completely different niches though. The GP32 is about retro (emus) and homebrew, and the DS is about dazzling 3D new style commercial console type graphics. Even when the DS gets emus the lower screen resolution means some graphics would need to be cut. Genesis (320 x 220) for example is perfect for the GP32s 320x240 screen, where as on the DSs 256x192 screen, resolution would be cut out. If I want to play 3D stuff I will mostly play my Xbox though. It would be hard though, and I am glad I don't have to make that choice. Again two completely different animals in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
since hes only talkin bout the screen and nothing else, then stick with the BLU till the PSP comes out, It will have the best screen ( unless it has weak blacks like the DS ) but, since this is only about screens, the gizmondo's small screen will be better than the DS's small screen because Its a DS sized screen and a GP32 resolution

so, since were only talkin screens,
1. PSP
2. GP32 BLU
3. Gizmondo
4. DS ( ya, i thought it was sorta weak at angles also )

but , if its only for watchin movies , get the AV340-380 or the next line up, the 4 series

personally, Im gettin a PSone with the little 5 inch high ( ish ) res screen so I can play games like Diablo, Red Alert, Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo 2 and other clasics anywhere!!! yay lol

o ya, no one go yell at me for hate'n the DS cause I gabe him a true answer to a question.
( even though I know someone will lol )

~Octavious

I own both.

DS: very bright with extremely vivid colors. 256x192 resolution per screen. Poor viewing angle.

BLU: not quite as bright as the DS screen, but still a good brightness level. Better viewing angle. 320x240 resolution and physically larger (for a single screen).

Having used the DS now since the launch, and the BLU for a few weeks, I've honestly come to like both quite a bit. The DS screen has incredibly rich colors, so GBA games and emus like PocketNES really come to life like never before. The BLU is one of the better screens ever used on a portable, and arguably its better resolution, size and viewing angle more than compensate for the relatively lower brightness (note I also have the glass mod).

Basically both DS and BLU represent very good screens for portable games. Obviously they also represent very different types of gaming. You buy a DS because of the commercial stuff that will come out for it, you buy the GP32 BLU for the homebrew and emus. Although to be fair, there are some excellent emus for GBA that also work great on DS. Flubba even added TG16 CDROM support to his PCEadvance - something GP32 doesn't have even though it could do it much better. Life can be really weird...

The screen isn't going to make much differance when playing native games, take my series 60 phone, the screen is half the size of my gp32, but playing Tomb Raider on it is very nice and comfortable. Emulators is where it makes a differance.

I have a non-lit gp32 and the screen on the DS seems to be sharper
that may be because it's play metroid
but whatever
gp32 has a higher res
I don't think screen should make much of a difference as these systems are so different

I have a non-lit gp32 and the screen on the DS seems to be sharper
that may be because it's play metroid
but whatever
gp32 has a higher res
I don't think screen should make much of a difference as these systems are so different

Sharper? I think you refering to the fact that the pixels are smaller, that does make it look a bit sharper. That is true but the resolution is actually less on the DS.

Also I thought the GP32 BLU screen was brighter but as Prophet said the DS is actually a bit brighter. I just checked again after reading that so I was a bit off there. The other stuff pretty much holds true. The view angle is so good on the BLU that it actually looks decent when held vertical for things like vertical orientated would be MAME games. Not that I have MAME but I tried the Space invaders emu that is vertical and it looked good.

Also I thought the GP32 BLU screen was brighter but as Prophet said the DS is actually a bit brighter. I just checked again after reading that so I was a bit off there. The other stuff pretty much holds true. The view angle is so good on the BLU that it actually looks decent when held vertical for things like vertical orientated would be MAME games. Not that I have MAME but I tried the Space invaders emu that is vertical and it looked good.

My GP32 BLU screen is quite a bit brighter than my DS . :huh:

I guess there must be differences in the brightness of BLU's or maybe even the DS

Back