Gp32/gp2X/wiz/dingoo Coding Competition

Really fun compo this one. Many good entries!
But has anyone heard anything about when prizes will be handed out?
I got in second place but I haven't heard anything at all since the compo ended.

Imerion said:
Really fun compo this one. Many good entries!
But has anyone heard anything about when prizes will be handed out?
I got in second place but I haven't heard anything at all since the compo ended.

Well, Iorgy did not answered my PMs or emails... I think he is busy right now.
No problem to wait, but he could, at least, answer us saying "I´m busy, sorry. Contact me after this month" or something else... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I confirm our team did not get any prize for the 3rd place yet. I'm fine with waiting, but I'd like to know what's the situation :)

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone that submitted to the contest, and thank you to lorgy for putting it together! It was an honor to judge the entries, and loads of fun as well. You all got high marks from me just for entering.
I was able to judge everything except the gp32 entries. I took notes on the entries while I was using them so if you want I can post them here.

Again, thank you to everyone for contributing your time and skills to the community!!!

P.S.

Sorry for the lateness of this post.

Hi Orion4874,

I would love to see your notes on Warehouse Panic. If you don't think them fit for public consumption, you can PM them to me. What ever you think appropriate.

Regards
Uni

Orion4874 said:
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone that submitted to the contest, and thank you to lorgy for putting it together! It was an honor to judge the entries, and loads of fun as well. You all got high marks from me just for entering.
I was able to judge everything except the gp32 entries. I took notes on the entries while I was using them so if you want I can post them here.

Again, thank you to everyone for contributing your time and skills to the community!!!

P.S.

Sorry for the lateness of this post.

i'm curious, and i guess all the other guys are, so you notes would be welcome :)

Hey guys, I am going to post my comments for you but it may be a couple of days. Posting from my phone right now outside the hospital, son is sick as hell as is my wife so I'm going to have my hands full. Promise by this weekend if that's ok?
BTW would you prefer PM's or just post here?

Iorgy77 said:
Will be in touch soon, EvilD holds the prize money for now so I just need to contact him with your details.

Thanks, call me when you are ready =)

Ok, here are my comments for the Wiz entries in the PACC contest.

Undead Delivery Service
I like the originality of the game which while judging I consider one of the most important aspects. Graphics were good but should be fine tuned a little. For example, the zombies should be made to look more zombieish and less robotic. Maybe something as simple as changing their color to green? Gameplay was also pretty good but somethings here as well need to be added. Being able to reverse would improve gameplay. I was thinking of something like a mini map to show you where to go for packages? I was also a little confused about when exactly a stage ends. I noticed the countdown clock just restarted during gameplay. Is it just getting all the packages which ends the stage?

A couple bugs I noticed: At upgrade screen, choosing continue displays this amount 1,073,870,456.
Occasionally got a black screen when pausing. Select + start corrects this.

CoolDown
The concept is great for a puzzle game and graphics were well done. High marks for originality. However playing it was a little confusing at first. Mainly due to the fact that when choosing a tube you have to go one ahead in order to get the one you want. Does that make sense? The one that's displayed should be the one that's chosen. The temp gauge should be a bit bigger so you can notice it more. You can't choose settings which is something I assume would be added in future updates, no big deal. The music is good but the voice effects need to be a little louder IMO. All in all, rectifying the way the tubes are chosen would increase playability greatly!

Wharehouse Panic
Very addictive game to say the least! I'm a sucker for puzzle games so I thoroughly enjoyed this. Smooth gameplay and the music fits nicely. Not the most advanced graphics but it aslo doesn't need it. Only a couple things came to mind while playing. An in game pause is definately needed just in case you need to stop for what ever reason and don't want to start over. A counter that shows how many mistakes you've made or how many you have left before losing. The touch screen controls were very responsive, no problems there. However maybe an option to play using the dpad and buttons as well could be implemented? Just a suggestion as I don't really know if it's feasible. "Your mom" high score made me LOL!

Cat Trap
I don't have too many comments on this game. I liked everything about it pretty much. Being able to choose between the original and the updated versions is a great idea! If you have bad eyes this game might be a little difficult to see and the full screen mode didn't seem to work. Added later possibly? One time playing I did have a strange thing happen though. I trapped 2 cats and put them to sleep which I don't think should have happened. Resetted and it never happened again. I did play the original version some what but I just prefered the newer one.
Kind of off topic, I've seen the ipod version but this version is still better IMO since the blocks are multi colored and just makes it stand out more.

AudioRace
One of my top 3 personally and i'm not one for racing games too much. Great 3D graphics and gameplay and the fact that you can use your own songs is an awsome idea! A few things i'd like to see are sound effects for when you hit a mine and when you pick up a blue power up and MP3 support would help people out alot as to not worrying about converting songs. The only other thing that I think would be a great addition is a turbo boost option. Maybe when you've collected enough power ups it will enable you to hit the blowers sort of speak. Especially with a fast song playing I kept wanting the ability to do this. Different vehicle choices would be nice also.
Completely off topic, find the song "Summer Song" by Joe Satriani and convert it into an ogg file for this game. The best driving song hands down!

Dish Wars
Fun and very addictive would best describe this game. Simple idea but entertaining nonetheless. Gameplay seems to stutter when pressing touch screen. Doesn't really affect anything but just want to point it out. Also had a bug show up but only once while playing, two dishes kind of got stuck in the upper right corner but you could still press them without a problem. Should list high scores which is something that I think is necessary in this type of game. I liked the "Waiting for Pandora" message when quitting the game!

Pale Snails
I very much liked the concept of this puzzler, good originality. Gameplay was ok but I wish the sensitivity could be increased. You can't move too fast while dragging the snails without having to go back for them but at least it doesn't increase your move count when this happens. The only game that I didn't care for the music. Seemed distracting to me something more ambient would be nice. Lose the little guy in the corner and just put a Menu icon instead. Took me a while to realize I could exit like that. I realize the move count decides how well you've done on any particular stage but maybe a time limit could be implemented as an option if the player so desires?

Journey to the Center of the Earth
In my opinion this game had some of the best graphics overall. The sound effects were perfect. The option of 2 different control schemes is a big plus. However I found this game to be down right aggrevating to play. First and foremost, the inability to attack upwards really takes alot away from the game especially with those damn birds coming at you. Being able to attack while jumping would also help, maybe jump and attack downwards as well? Attacks should be faster. When there's multiple enemies on screen you're going to take damage simply because you can't attack fast enough. When you do get hit it is too pronounced which causes the enemy to be able to hit you again before you recover. With these problems with attacking present it makes the character with the pick axe the only usable one for the most part. This may seem like alot of criticism but the game has potential to be great as long as certain things are rectified.

Adamant Armor
Not much to say about this game as it's only a demo. The gameplay is nice and smooth and the controls are very responsive. Alot could be done with this so I hope it won't be abandoned. Walking around can get a little disorienting mainly because when you get near a door you can inadvertantly pass into another area without wanting to. You should have to actually touch the doorway in order to do that not just touch the arrow looking floor mat. And also I think the guy/robot should be a different color. Pink doesn't seem to be the best choice if your supposed to be coming off as a badass. Good work on the 3D though.

Chopper Attack
Needs alot of work but it does have potential. Graphics, music and sound effects are all great. But the game is very repetitive. The boards need to be bigger before you have to turn around. When shooting, the bullets need to be faster than the chopper as this is the main thing that kept getting me killed. While in game there needs to be an option to quit or to exit to the main menu. I love shooters like this so I hope this gets updates.

rRootage
Almost nothing bad to say about this one except I don't like having autofire on by default but it may be fine with others so it's hardly worth mentioning. Other than that I did't notice anything wrong, no bugs to speak of that I came across. Pretty much ported perfectly.

Nether Dimensional Runner
Very entertaining, well thought out game. Gameplay itself is great as well as music and effects. I couldn't save the game though, which I think is necessary in a game where you advance in levels. Also, the menu wouldn't work for me. Continue just started you over at the first board as well as choosing Highscores did as well so there's no real way to even pause the game without starting over. A bug? While playing, the only thing that I noticed that may or may not have supposed to happen is the fact that you can get hung up on the edge of the ledges when you jump. It's not really a bad thing as it actually works in your favor alot. After that though this was extremely enjoyable!

I'm aware that some of the things that i've mentioned have been rectified already but I figured it best to include all my original thoughts and comments. Hope any of this helps, and again, thank you to everybody that was involved!!!

Hi Orion4874, thanks for the feedback. It is great to read. Just so you know, Warehouse Panic does have a pause button at the top right corner (in case you ever play it) :) Shame you didn't notice it, but i consider that my own fault hehe It is good that you mention it, because now i know i need to add focus to that. Also most of your suggestions have been added to the new release, or are in the works. So expect a lot more dynamics in the next release :)

Anyways, i am really happy you liked our game.

/Uni

Orion4874:
thanks for your post, it was great to read your notes!
and your advices will help to improve CoolDown (and hopefully all the other entries) :)

Thanks a ton for the comments! This is what I have been waiting for. <3

The zombies dont actually face the right direction when they move haha. But that along with the large number in the upgrade screen were bugs that I had no time to fix. I started this project from scratch when there were only 20 days left in the compo so everything was a bit rushed. Not to mention, I worked alone (codewise).

Thanks again for the constructive criticism!

Thank's Orion4874 ...now if you have time could give your impression about the other console entrys.

Anyway is nice to see also other review...

Farox said:
Thank's Orion4874 ...now if you have time could give your impression about the other console entrys.

Anyway is nice to see also other review...

Yes, I am going to do that. Just wasn't sure if I should post that here or in their respective sections. Oh well, guess I'll just do it here if that's cool? Just worried that the other guys won't know to look here.

We really should have a seperate section for contest announcements, comments, reviews,,, etc. How 'bout it ED?

I'm at work now so I'll post it sometime tonight. Sorry, but I didn't forget about you guys.

All right, here's the GP2X and Dingoo comments for the PACC.

GP2X

NanoBounce
A greatly enjoyable and addictive game. Music and sound effects were perfect IMO. Really appreciated the volume control! Playing the easy level was just that, pretty easy. Medium was fine for me. Tried hard but I failed miserably at it. Included a level editor which I tried my hand at and it came out fine if not a little remedial. But I only did it just to test it out. There were some minor little freezes that happened every now and again which only last for a split second so it's a none issue. No other bugs that I could tell. Very well put together puzzle game in every way.

K.E.T.M.
Definately ranked high with me as arcade shooters are one of my favorite types of game. Never tried the PSP version but this version seemed to be a very well done port. The whole time playing it I was wishing for more mods but as I turns out there's not too many out there. The game did lock up on me a couple of times, once in the beginning of the first board in the 1941 mod and once entering my high score. Volume control is really needed here since you can only turn down the sound effects in options but not the music itself. You are able to create your own mods, which I didn't try, so that is a big plus in my book.
Off topic, I'd love to see this get as big as OpenBor so maybe it would be a good idea to contact the Lavalit guys when the port is made final and the source is released. They may be able to get the word out to more people and start getting different mods created? Just a suggestion.

Super Pixel Jumper
An interesting yet simple game but amusing nonetheless. I loved the concept so if a version with updated graphics, not just blocks, were done I'd probably never get tired of it. However it does give it a kind of retro vibe, kind of 2600ish. Maybe include 2 versions like another contestant did? One retro one modern? While playing I noticed the game would stutter occasionally, stop,go,stop,go. It did't make the game unplayable but it was enough to be annoying. The music,while good and fit with the game nicely, was way too loud so volume control is very much needed here. I liked how the gameplay would speed up the longer you stayed alive. The hard part is staying alive which is a good thing. I mean, who wants a game that's too easy.

How to Make Stars
Another game with a very interesting concept. A simplified shooter which while incredibly hard was still fun to play. Aside from having a very high difficulty level the game can get very disorienting. Mainly because everything looks the same and the screen fills up with too much action at any one time. A better way to differentiate yourself from the enemies would improve gameplay immensely. Another thing are the little messages at the beginning. You shouldn't have to wait through those every time, it gets old. I also think that the standard 3 lives would make it a better experience as well. I did notice a bug in the game though. The player can kind of half disappear into the life bar when ther's no other attachments. The bar should be completely above the game field, so it's out of the way. A few minor changes would this game alot better.

DINGOO

Let's Roll A Smile
One of the best entries IMO. This game was just put together right and it shows whenever you play it. Crazy fun and addictive even though I was just flat out not good at it. A way to pause would be nice as would some music and sound effects. It doesn't necessarily take away from the game but it would add to it. I would assume that there will be future updates to add these features. When I was playing I kept looking for ramps to jump but there may be in later levels. Like I said I pretty much sucked at it so i'm just not sure. I wasn't able to get past level 7. No other bugs were apparent so I hope this gets ported to other handhelds.

Tower of Gowno
The only RPG entry but it was still a great little game. My personal favorite genre of game so I was very happy to play this. The little warning screen was funny but I personally liked the graphics in the game. Very retro in appearance yet it still draws you in like an early Zelda game. I have very few remarks about this one as it was mostly to my liking. There's a few things I'd like to see in later releases to help improve it. Something that tells you what you've picked up at the time you pick it up would be nice so you don't have to go to the menu to see. And the ability to walk constantly when you're pressing the Dpad instead of having to press it once for every step. Some creepy dungeon music would be nice along with some sound effects especially when fighting. I think this game can go far with more updates. More levels, monsters, items,,,,etc.

Mojo
As a guitarist myself I loved this little app. Even though it's not finished I think this is a great tool to have for anyone that plays or wants to learn how to play. From what I could tell there were no bugs to point out. I do have some suggestions for later versions though. Showing chords further down the fret board for one and maybe an option to show what the symbols mean, sharp, flat, etc. Also since, unlike say a piano, guitars can be tuned differently, you can show how that changes chord arrangement. That's just a couple of ideas but I'm sure there's even more than that that could be done. Can't wait to see where this one goes!

Wubtris
I don't want you to think that I didn't like this game. But I was never overly fond of Tetris to begin with and seeing another clone didn't have me doing cartwheels to say the least. Right off the bat I had a hell of a time just getting the game to start. It would load up fine but getting it to start took a while. I had to choose Battle mode for some reason to get it to start but after that it started normally. But exiting completely caused the problem to come back. I had to get used to the controls so needless to say I had to start over alot. Pressing the button that causes the
tetrominoe to instantly hit the bottom is one thing I didn't like about the gameplay. I think it should just speed it up like the original. But that's just me, other people may not mind it. There weren't too many other things that needed improvement IMO, although an option to use the screen vertically would be cool. All in all it was a good version.

As stated in my Wiz comments, some if not most of these things may have been taken care of already but I included everything that I noticed while judging. Thank you for reading all this, I hope it helps in any small way, especially now that I officially have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome!!!

Back