Gp32/gp2X/wiz/dingoo Coding Competition

Hi all :)

just working on the amendments, should have them finish in the next half hour or so.

gruso here is a link to the font I used in the header image.

http://www.dafont.com/bn-deep-blue.font

if you want I can email you the psd file of the site.

thanks

Mac

Hmm, the older systems generally get nothing these days. So I thought it might be a good idea to give some bonus points in that department. I would really like for the contest to cover as many of the platforms as possible. The bonus points aren't multipliers or anything crazy like that.

The older systems are also less powerful so producing something on those platforms might not be as easy to get impressive results.

IF enough of you guys really don't like the bonus points system I will scrap it, please let me know what you think. Perhaps a public poll if someone wants to make one.

Ok, I have put a permanent banner at the top of the site. That took an unnecessarily long time to implement for some reason. Anyway, if there's anything else I can do, let me know.

Great news!

EvilDragon the admin here on gp32x.de has generously offered his time and the use of his paypal account to our competition. He will be holding the funds until its time to distribute them.

Please contact me on codingcompetion@googlemail.com and I will pass on his paypal address.

Thanks ED pure class.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to EvilDragon for doing this. I accidentally sent 100 EUR instead of 100 CHF, but I'll stick to that. I don't think anyone will complain. ;)

I think you should get rid of the multiple system bonus point thing because that will quite severely limit what can be written: specific features of one machine won't work on another. Plus, I've always thought that games should be played where they were intended, otherwise you end up with fairly generic things that don't control right etc.

EDIT: Also the bonus for older systems seems a bit bizarre. A good game is a good game whatever it is on.

Hey guys.

I just wanted to ask, how did this turn into a Pandora coding competition? Entries are not even accepted for the pandora? Did i miss something?

/Uni

u9i said:
Hey guys.

I just wanted to ask, how did this turn into a Pandora coding competition? Entries are not even accepted for the pandora? Did i miss something?

/Uni

Many of us have been waiting for the Pandora for a long time and many of us also own previous generation consoles. The anxiety of waiting for the pandora needed a release and so this contest happened. Pandora entries are not accepted simply because its not out yet.

Orkie said:
I think you should get rid of the multiple system bonus point thing because that will quite severely limit what can be written: specific features of one machine won't work on another. Plus, I've always thought that games should be played where they were intended, otherwise you end up with fairly generic things that don't control right etc.

EDIT: Also the bonus for older systems seems a bit bizarre. A good game is a good game whatever it is on.

Will you enter something if I scrap the bonus point scheme?

Iorgy77 said:
Will you enter something if I scrap the bonus point scheme?
I may either way. Don't change the rules purely based on what I say, I'd feel like I was blackmailing you if I answered yes to that :p.

i was considering not entering anything as the dingoo would get less points etc, but probably will anyways, just as it's an insentive to do some coding

(and yes, first post evening chaps :D)

I think the multi platform bonus is a good thing and it sort of caters to the community feel of the competition. (Encourages to release to a greater number of people within the homebrew sceen).
Most games will probably (wild guesswork here) not have a too complex control scheme, so I don't think the controls would be affected too greatly.
Even if it did, the small amount of bonus points awarded for the multiplatform thing wont (or rather should not) outweigh bad controls or any other problem that arises from "being stretched to thin".

I guess that a sort of solution to the unfairness problem could be that a multiplatform game would be judged individually on each platform it supports and then take the average of that score.
This if it plays awful on one platform, that would drag down it's score.

My reasoning builds on that the amount of points awarded for multiplatform support should be quiet small and only there at all to encourage devs who feel that they could include it to include it.

Either way, I will try to release something, hopefully for more than one platform.
But even if I had no intention to do so, I would still think a bonus for multiplatform support would be nice.

I'm not so sure about the older platform bonus tough, I can see the reason for a bonus for releasing to the gp32, in order to try and increase the flow of new software for what is,
more or less, the spiritual grandfather of most handhelds in our community.
But I am not so sure if it's enough of a reason.
I guess that it is probably harder to dev for the gp32, but this is wild guesswork at work again :)

Please, don't change the rules. If the competition was announced with these rules, don't change them..

And the more software older systems get, the better. The original rules benefit that. Multiplatform is also good and your bonus points system is a good idea, I think.

How the judges will evaluate all the programs/games/candidates? They will need one hardware of all the machines supported in the contest to make a fair decision.

Maybe a "panel of judges/jury" for each machine is a good idea.

Byes

If my entry makes the deadline, there will be action! Action and BLOOOOOOD! MUAHAHAHAHAAA

Back