Gp32 Or Clie?

Protoss

Website
eatsleepgame.com
I am looking @ getting a GP32 FLU, and I have found someone willing to sell me theirs for $170 w/ shipping. The thing is, I could find a 200mhz Clie for $130. I am going to use the handheld for gaming of course, but I have played Warfare Incorporated on my friends Zodiac (he got his as a gift) and I am addicted to it. I like the fact of emulators being free for the GP32, and despise people selling them for the Palm. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thnx, Protoss

if your going for PDA functionality then obviously the clie is for you.

however, forget about any form of decent gaming on it, the controls are crippled on every pda, if you want to play snes/megadrive/nes/gg/gb then definitely get the gp32!

I am looking @ getting a GP32 FLU, and I have found someone willing to sell me theirs for $170 w/ shipping. The thing is, I could find a 200mhz Clie for $130. I am going to use the handheld for gaming of course, but I have played Warfare Incorporated on my friends Zodiac (he got his as a gift) and I am addicted to it. I like the fact of emulators being free for the GP32, and despise people selling them for the Palm. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thnx, Protoss
Well since the Clie has shitty controls for gaming I wouldn't reccomend that. Warfare is good but what happens after you beat it? Then you will just have a PDA with crappy games and dodgy controls.

Last edited by a moderator:
GP32

Emulators are free
Nice controls
No os slowing down
Linux soon (PDA functions)
Total cost: 170$

Clie

You pay for emulators
Shit controls
Os slowing down
PDA functions
Total cost: ~200$ (after emus and stuff)

:eek: :eek: Man, I just posted the topic, and 4 replies :D You guys convinced me, now if I can get my mom to negociate a PayPal deal with my dad (mom doesn't have a credit card) so be warned, Protoss is about to join the GP32 scene! :ph34r: B)

Is there going to be a new versiopn of tie break tennis soon? I love that game! Yeah your gonna have tons of fun with your GP32. Dozens of great games for free and all the emulated games you can handle!

Is there going to be a new versiopn of tie break tennis soon? I love that game! Yeah your gonna have tons of fun with your GP32. Dozens of great games for free and all the emulated games you can handle!
not as far as i'm aware, but i've only just been shown the true wonders of this game

i've wanted a decent tennis game for an age and then someone flippantly comments its been available since ADIC!

Some reasons convincing me are that i just searched on Shareaza for GP32, and I came up with full length movies that are only 90MBs @ max B) I can see it now, me viewing The Matrix and some Red Versus Blue on the bus ride! :ph34r:

i've wanted a decent tennis game for an age and then someone flippantly comments its been available since ADIC!
Yeah, but only one character and one court. Fun while it lasts, though.

And the GP32 is by far the best option for emulation & homebrew on the go...if you're on a budget.

Don't excpect real high quality on those movies.
The quality is the same as any normal movie. You won't notice the lower resolution, because the screen is smaller. Also, because the screen is LCD, it blends the frames together much nicer then a CRT, so you can afford to have a lower framerate. (About 17fps)

Yeah, but only one character and one court. Fun while it lasts, though.

And the GP32 is by far the best option for emulation & homebrew on the go...if you're on a budget.
really, i've only been picking up and playing for a couple of games, didn't know there was only the one!

oh well, its all the same really, kick ass game though!

Don't excpect real high quality on those movies.
The quality is the same as any normal movie. You won't notice the lower resolution, because the screen is smaller. Also, because the screen is LCD, it blends the frames together much nicer then a CRT, so you can afford to have a lower framerate. (About 17fps)
That does depend on the movie - I've seen one god-awful Matrix 2 encode that was juttery, had tons of artifacts in action or not, and still took up 120mb; but I've also made Last Exiles encodes that look perfect and take up ~17mb each (I clipped the intros on most of them), and seen Finding Nemo that looks like a DVD at 121Mb.

And done Eddie Izzard things to ~100Mb myself looking fine. Or Harry Potter 2, likewise, looking lovely and the whole thing fitting in at 118 :).

Basically, don't rely on everything looking good if you download it. But a lot of things will if you encode them yourself (which isn't that hard to learn).

when you encode 2pass kopies xvid 1.x size for vid ~90mb and 30mb for sound you can get nearly evry movie in very good quality on your gp, even 3h ones have ok quality

GP32

Emulators are free
Nice controls
No os slowing down
Linux soon (PDA functions)
Total cost: 170$

Clie

You pay for emulators
Shit controls
Os slowing down
PDA functions
Total cost: ~200$ (after emus and stuff)
When people ask honest questions, give honest answers ;) *duck*

(And don't get flamy and get me wrong; I like my GP32, but you have to giuve them the answer they need, not your biased one ;)

GP32
- emus are free; many are very high quality.. many are not.
- Good controls, for sure -- no sore wrist :)
- OS slowing down? Palm OS is the fastest OS around and doesn't impact emu speed *At all*. Not one bit. ie: You made that up.
- Linux soon -- will not be a PDA. ie: No touchscreen for data entry, and using the modded chatboard isn't a great option for PDA -- two pieces flopping around does not a PDA make
- end of life device (ie: Lots of homebrew, but ... how much longer?)

Clie
- You pay for a couple of emus; by far most emus are free
- not as many emus as GP32, for sure, but all the big ones covered (ie: No Dragon, but you get Frodo, CaSTaway, TG16, Genesis, etc etc)
- Shit controls for sure (every PDA has crap controls except Zodiac)
- PDA
- Amusingly enough, also end of life -- Sony has abandoned the PDA market. However, being Palm OS, it can continue to use the thousands of Palm OS apps

Total cost is $170 versus $130 period. (Nice $70 inflation there -- why not count the SMC card thje GP32 will have to get too? :)

The only true answer is..

If you want it for games, get GP32 (duh, or Zodiac if you've got big money). If you want PDA, get the Clie or another Palm OS machine, not a gp32.

Thats it :) If you want games, get a GP32; you can't beat the emu games cost there.

jeff

:eek: I got owned!

I was pretty much writing from what I've heard on these boards, but since Skeezix knows what hes talking about I would read his chart insted :D And SMCs are cheap anyways. Like 15 US dollars after rebate on Tigerdirect.com

i'd get hold of one of zire 21s from ebay.

they look rather classy to me, as you've got the gp32 for gaming and video you can use the zire souly as a pda! i'll be picking one up prior to uni.

Back