GP32X Needs You!

I do write code ;p I mean, I don't write code all the time and okay, right now is one of my less active periods, but it has ALWAYS been like that. It comes in spurts. I mainly wrote my main things over a period of a few months then some months of inactivity happened between them. For instance, I didn't do much from spring 2007 to fall 2007, then didn't do much from the middle of 2008 clear until the middle of 2009. It just seems like I haven't done much all the way until now because I was working really hard on something from summer 2009 until spring 2010, which was such a big project for me that that really wasn't enough time to get far enough with it (although I did get pretty far). Then I broke my hand and could barely type for 6 weeks, then lost momentum.

The other thing is that I do things in a very serial fashion and it takes a lot to get me to change my plan of action. Right now Temper on Pandora is still at the head of the queue (I don't know why you think it won't happen, ask skeezix, he watched me netplay on it), but I'm held up because I have to do GUI stuff for it and I hate doing GUI stuff. Then I have some major long term stuff to get back on immediately after that. But I can't just bump one thing for another, much less can I work on multiple things at a time. Probably doesn't help that at work I actually have been coding for real for a change.

EDIT: I agree with you 100% Tom`, but of course that probably goes without saying. I know a lot of people who can code in their sleep and trust me when I say that I can't. But like with a lot of things, it's not so much your long term average record but the peaks you hit when everything is on the line that really count.

Exophase said:
The other thing is that I do things in a very serial fashion and it takes a lot to get me to change my plan of action. Right now Temper on Pandora is still at the head of the queue (I don't know why you think it won't happen, ask skeezix, he watched me netplay on it), but I'm held up because I have to do GUI stuff for it and I hate doing GUI stuff. Then I have some major long term stuff to get back on immediately after that. But I can't just bump one thing for another, much less can I work on multiple things at a time. Probably doesn't help that at work I actually have been coding for real for a change.
I don't know, I just assumed that Temper was kind of on infinite hold as it was mentioned being almost done month ago, then I heard nothing about it for a while.

What kind of GUI stuff are you doing? Maybe just do the bare minimum like the GP2X one if you are held up? That seemed good enough. Do you need any art for it? I remember I gave you those icons and preview pics for the PND. If you want any splash screens, button art, backgrounds, etc just PM me. Seriously, I will contribute art for it if you would like and I will try to make it good and not suck (of course you would always have the right of refusal if you didn't like it) :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I just need sensible ways of inputting relatively complex things like IP addresses and usernames in order to make the netplay something someone will actually want to use. It's purely pragmatic, I don't care about making it pretty nor adding anything to the base GUI (although being able to search for filenames with keys would be nice). Although some nice art would be pretty snazzy, you're welcome to try to get me to use something in-game too ;D

Really at this point especially I should focus on making a release that has enough to offer over the latest GP2X and Wiz versions. Otherwise you'd may as well just use GINGE.

Exophase said:
I just need sensible ways of inputting relatively complex things like IP addresses and usernames in order to make the netplay something someone will actually want to use. It's purely pragmatic, I don't care about making it pretty nor adding anything to the base GUI (although being able to search for filenames with keys would be nice). Although some nice art would be pretty snazzy, you're welcome to try to get me to use something in-game too ;D

Really at this point especially I should focus on making a release that has enough to offer over the latest GP2X and Wiz versions. Otherwise you'd may as well just use GINGE.
Yeah the base GUI is fine, I just didn't know what you were planning. Maybe a nice background for it would be nice of course it would need to be in darker colors as to not overpower the GUI text. I could do that if you needed. As far as searching filenames even if you have all of the ROMs there aren't that many. Maybe just hittin a letter on the keyboard could jump to that section, easy enough and adequate.

I am not sure what I would do for art in-game. Do you mean like a graphic surround for the borders on the ends or something?

I know you want an improvement over the GP2X. But if it holds you back indefinitely it my not be worth it. Yeah Ginge. I ran Temper in Ginge and it was ok but the framerate jumped around a bit and was inconsistant. Scrolling wasn't too smooth, was "herky jerky". Plus if you used the Pandora's extra resolution you could scale the width to a higher target res so it would look smoother and you could implement different filters that you were going to experiment with etc.

Anyway this is off topic, like I said just PM me and I will work on any art you would want if/when you want. Just give me an idea of what you would need and how it would fit in. A screenshot maybe(even from a phone camera etc) and an explanation would work.

Weird how these things are, I guess - I kind of like programming GUIs, because it's pretty easy and produces a visible result, unlike anything else I try to code. :p

Of course, apart from Visual Basic the only thing I've used is PyGTK - maybe you could consider GTK, as it's included on the NAND and pretty quick and easy to work with (assuming you're using the Glade interface designer).

@ Nova

You could always put the candidates on a probation period, if your that unsure.

+1 for Exophase.
+1 for Atomicthumbs
+1 for WizardStan
+1 for Sony

Give them all a shot.

Tom`: My call for people to code more than mouth off was more intended to be directed at those I know can code, but seem to be spending a lot of time moaning instead. BTW, I include myself in that list.

If I've offended anyone, its not intentional - my enthusiasm often gets me into trouble, and sure its easy to 'come off like a jerk' online, most of the time, when you're too excited to think about what you're typing. I think the important thing is to not insult people, though, and anyone tending to insult and assault persons they don't, really, even know, rather than communicate with them to know more, imnsho, ought not be mods.

EDIT: typo.

torpor said:
I think the important thing is to not insult people, though, and anyone tending to insult and assault persons they don't, really, even know, rather than communicate with them to know more, imnsho, ought not be mods.

And while you're obviously making that statement against me (even though I don't want to be a mod), I think you too have a track record of being pretty insulting - that comment you made about one of Mali's posts being the stupidest thing you've ever read comes to mind - and by your own criteria maybe you should stop asking to be made a mod.

Eniko said:
I say this place needs a woman's touch. ;)

Fortunately Prometheus and Clare are already mods. I'd say if anything you guys are overrepresented in the government.

And while you're obviously making that statement against me (even though I don't want to be a mod), I think you too have a track record of being pretty insulting - that comment you made about one of Mali's posts being the stupidest thing you've ever read comes to mind - and by your own criteria maybe you should stop asking to be made a mod.

Well, thats very nice of you to point out, and I will address the issue immediately by not calling you some nasty thing. However, by sheer stats, I hardly think the comparison is apt, sir. Caustic sensibilities serve no-one.

Exophase said:
You know, Nova didn't actually call for a vote here. Request or nominate the position, yes. There's actually a difference. This isn't an election (as far as we know).
Well is just seemed the democratic thing to do. Silly me, I know there is no place for democracy on these boards. :p

Prometheus said:
Well, you know how the good people of gp32x.de adore polls. :p
I guess this makes me a bad person. :(

Silly me, I know there is no place for democracy on these boards. :p

Hmmm? I guess this board is ripe for liberating then. Anyone got any flawed invasion plans with plenty of depleted uranium and fat pork projects for their friends involved tucked away?

J/k folks...lighten up already, you´ll all feel even more awesome already :)

torpor said:
Well, thats very nice of you to point out, and I will address the issue immediately by not calling you some nasty thing. However, by sheer stats, I hardly think the comparison is apt, sir. Caustic sensibilities serve no-one.

I would hope that you would have the discernment to judge what is and is not insulting by something less superficial than whether or not "bad words" were used. Posts laced with sarcasm and a veneer of false tact are not helping. You have said some very insulting things to me and others here, things that in my opinion are at least on par with my response to call you a "dick" then an "asshole." To say the least of the accusations you've made that I only make rubbish flame bait posts on these forums, you've made claims that I'm better suited back in the kitchen making dinner writing code than saying what's on my mind, that no one will like me until I go back to giving them what they want, you've lost faith in me, so on and so forth.

People are probably itching at me to tell me to stop dragging this into something off-topic and take the personal flames to PM. I hope I'm taken seriously right now because I think this is very much on topic, I do not think that making torpor a mod is a good idea. Some judgment needs to be applied when deciding mods, and it has to go beyond whether or not they seem willing and respected in some capacity. Being nice is a good thing, but ultimately what's even more important is that they possess the ability to make calm and fair assertions regarding the content and intention of the post of others. And I feel like torpor just hasn't been doing this; I hesitate to start listing examples but I don't think anyone is going to take me seriously if I don't, so this is what I'm talking about:

- mali makes a comment about "facts of life" being a vague statement and you say it's one of the stupidest things you've ever heard him say (http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/55907-moving-forward/page__st__15 you actually say several other pretty insulting things to him in this thread when he isn't attacking you in the least)
- You make some comment about how Zaephen doesn't know what he's doing for "mixing" floats and ints (casting the former to a latter in a place where it makes proper sense to do so): http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/56086-programming-question/page__view__findpost__p__908084 You actually edited the post down from saying he shouldn't cast things when he doesn't know what he's doing (don't know why you'd assume that), showing you didn't really read the code.
- http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/55296-pandora-press-reviews/page__st__15__p__892525&#entry892525 < Here you slam me for explaining something craigix asked me to explain, and when I tell you to chill out because I was just doing what I asked you go on a personal tirade against me, with a lot of rhetoric that you'd probably do pretty well to take into consideration yourself.
- http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/56295-whos-staying/page__st__60 < Here you take a comment I make about how I'm glad you put me on ignore because that hurts your chances of becoming a mod to mean me saying that I intentionally make things difficult for mods (what??)
- In this very thread you turn my criticism against why you shouldn't be a mod on me when I've said from the START that I'd be a bad mod. I wouldn't be at all surprised if your next post was structured exactly like this one to out-do me at something I don't want.

This isn't really just about torpor. Everyone, think carefully. Making a bunch of people mods is a risky proposition if you aren't careful about who you choose (and then, even if you are). With all of the drama we've had recently, including the boards splitting in two, you'd think this would be apparent. There have been a lot of people putting themselves or others forward to be mod here, and the impression I get is that you all would enjoy the status more than you think there is a pressing problem that needs solving. I'm very much against boards that are undermoderated and end up in de-facto control of trolls, spammers, or general chaos (4chan comes to mind), and I'm against having just a couple of ultra strict mods rule with an iron fist and draconic policy (SemiAccurate, where regulars are banned every other week for stepping on too many toes while making a point), but having too many mods and giving them out too casually is a serious risk too. At the very least please try to understand why I think very careful consideration needs to put forward with applications like torpor's, and not to get lost in the popularity contest of +1s and what, in his case, is starting to look like a political campaign.

starting to look like a political campaign.

I'm enjoying being your target-of-the-month, but frankly I stand by my position that the ^^^^ wall of text ^^^^ up there would be better serving the community, if it were instead code.. And, yes, I mean that from a purely political stance.

It seems you really take this mod thing seriously. Maybe you should try it, so we can observe your prowess.

@Exophase
I completely agree with the sentiment that choosing mods is important and not to be taken lightly.
There are plenty of people I respect on these forums who I don't think would make good moderators.
I would go further and say the people we choose should not only never have been involved in flamewars, but also have tried to stop them.
By giving those people the tools and the authority they can do what they're already good at effectively.
Gruso and Prometheus were good choices, but I'm not sure any of the people recommended in this thread are. (Sorry :p )

torpor.

... this is the last time I'm ever going to say something like this to you.

I code, you just don't know what because I don't talk about all of it.

Coding and pasting walls of text that took < 10 minutes are not mutually exclusive. To that end, you have absolutely no business telling anyone that they should be coding instead of doing anything else. You're basically telling people that they should do nothing but code.

I have no obligation to "serve the community." I'm entitled to do things for my own personal reasons too.

Your net contribution to these boards is nowhere as high as you think it is. Your contributions to the Pandora are not as important as you think they are. You have no business talking down to anyone, programmer or otherwise.

Most of my posts are technical, not "political" or "hostile." Maybe you really should read all of the posts I've made in the past 48 hours.

I don't want to be a mod, stop even bringing it up. I don't have to prove myself as a mod to be right about you being a bad choice for one.

You're not my "target of the month" any more than I appear to be yours. The big difference is that you admit to enjoying making me unhappy. I have been on the defensive almost the entire time, save for the post where I told you to shut the fuck up after talking again about how you wish posts you didn't like were code instead.

"Poking a stick" at someone is called trolling. Are you a troll?

Exophase said:
torpor.

... this is the last time I'm ever going to say something like this to you.

I code, you just don't know what because I don't talk about all of it.

Coding and pasting walls of text that took < 10 minutes are not mutually exclusive. To that end, you have absolutely no business telling anyone that they should be coding instead of doing anything else. You're basically telling people that they should do nothing but code.

I have no obligation to "serve the community." I'm entitled to do things for my own personal reasons too.

Your net contribution to these boards is nowhere as high as you think it is. Your contributions to the Pandora are not as important as you think they are. You have no business talking down to anyone, programmer or otherwise.

Most of my posts are technical, not "political" or "hostile." Maybe you really should read all of the posts I've made in the past 48 hours.

I don't want to be a mod, stop even bringing it up. I don't have to prove myself as a mod to be right about you being a bad choice for one.

You're not my "target of the month" any more than I appear to be yours. The big difference is that you admit to enjoying making me unhappy. I have been on the defensive almost the entire time, save for the post where I told you to shut the fuck up after talking again about how you wish posts you didn't like were code instead.

"Poking a stick" at someone is called trolling. Are you a troll?

Yikes. You're really enjoying this. Is anyone else?

Back