GPD MicroPC

Here are some observations after about half an year of usage of GPD MicroPC. This is personal experience and - for sure - YMMV
  • fast & adequate hardware. Compared to the devices it replaced for me /Sagemcom Spiga and Fujitsu U810/ it feels much more responsive.
  • excellent expansion options / port selection. If there is one main reason to recommend GPD MicroPC to anyone it is how much ports there are in a device this size.
  • Ubuntu Mate works OK. Nothing exceptional, nothing annoying. Never booted Win10.
  • main disadvantage - no SIM card slot => not always on.
  • Keyboard is tolerable, but not excellent. Better than some Vaio-s /280p anyone ;) / or the Droid 4 - but nothing like the Noikia N900 / PanasonicToughBook CF-U1. Hopefully Pyra's will be better.
  • screen is OK - but why the heck they did not put larger bumpers to prevent button marks on the screen? Mine had screen marks 'out-of-the-box'. I put some silicon pads to prevent them - but still these could have been designed better....
  • one somewhat annoying bug is that the charging light is always red / never goes green? I doubt it is the OS, but didn't spend time to investigate it .....
In conclusion - it definitely replaced the Fujitsu U810 - universal charger & greater pocketability & modern hardware. But it failed to become daily used device - mainly because of lack of cellular network connectivity and subsequently - no 'always on option'. IMHO it fits its purpose as "tech admin gadget" - but personally makes me expect the Pyra even more :)

Attachments

• GPD_mPC-bumpers_1.png
    GPD_mPC-bumpers_1.png
    771 KB · Views: 430
  • GPD_mPC-bumpers_2.png
    GPD_mPC-bumpers_2.png
    538.5 KB · Views: 434
"Christmas surprise" from my GPD mPC - battery is dead :( Device turns on normally when plugged-in to the charger, but battery status indicator does not show percentage / charging status and the moment I remove the charger - device turns off .....

After two over-night charges with different adapters - same situation.

Waiting for possible solutions from @gpd.hk ..... :confused:

That's a broken battery, the first batch had that. It needs to be replaced.
If you bought it from my shop, I can send you a free replacement - otherwise, GPD will do that.

Thanks for the confirmation!

Actually your post /and then reading the comments at IndieGoGo / made me contact GPD and not investigate further :) It was purchased during the initial campaign at IGG -but I will be glad to contact you for a replacement battery, if GPD do not react as presumed ....

Reactions: rSl
Back