GPD WIN 2

I like the concept a lot, but don't get any hopes for very long battery life. I have the Cube Mix Plus tablet with the same chip set (m3-7y30), which gives me 2-3h gaming at best when playing at full chip set speed.
And the 2 batteries in that tablet are pretty big - they make up more than half the volume of the 10" tablet.
The chip set produces a lot of heat under stress i.e. gaming - this thing heats the aluminum backside of my tablet to a temperature that is too hot to touch, but at least it does no thermal throttling.

The Intel 615 HD GPU feels like a substantial upgrade to the one used in the Atom Soc of the GPD Win though, and having a real exchangeable ssd is great.

Is everyone really OK with 2 batteries? How are they going to handle it? I personally haven't seen any other portable computer or phone do that.

Is everyone really OK with 2 batteries? How are they going to handle it? I personally haven't seen any other portable computer or phone do that.

Actually it's quite common... Even iPhone X uses a two battery design...

I doubt this will be the case on the Win 2, but as an example with computers, on Thinkpads you even have the readout of the individual batteries available.

I have been told my GPD, that the Indiegogo price of the WIN 2 will be $599

Retail is expected to be $699 +/- 10% depending on the reseller

The Indiegogo campaign is planned for Jan 15th (ie 27 days time)

All of this can change between now and then I suppose

Last edited:
A price quite close to the Pyra then.

At this price level I think no buyer will be keen to forgive anything about the quality of the device. Let's hope that GPD builds this according to the expectation it is setting.

from indigogo

Owning a portable handheld game console capable of running AAA games such as GTA5, has always been the dream of many gamers. But even the best handheld consoles on the market like the PSV and 3DS struggle to run these games. Better performance normally requires a device whose size, weight, power consumption and heat production prohibit small form-factors. However, what an optimal handheld design pursues is portability, compactness, small heat production and long battery-life.

Last year, we successfully launched the GPD WIN, the first 5.5-inch Windows handheld game console in the industry. The significance of this machine lies in the fact that many games that could only be played in front of a television or a computer in the past, can for the first time now run on a portable handheld. However, we understand that the first generation GPD WIN had some deficiencies, especially in the area of performance and heat dissipation.

We are committed to developing a handheld game console that can run AAA games smoothly. At the same time, the heat-dissipation, power consumption, device weight, portability, battery-life and other indicators will also be taken into account. Thus, we have gone through a product development period of a long time to introduce to you a new generation of our product: The GPD WIN 2. Official retail price will be $1000.

http://forum.gpd.hk/t190-gpd-win-a-handheld-game-console-that-can-run-aaa-games-smoothly

a thousand dollars!

Last edited:
Forget about the 699$ price tag for retail... It's just a high price tag to make you think you need to preorder... Pretty sure the win never reached it's retail price...

from indigogo

a thousand dollars!

Ok, to stem confusion, this is the deal

RRP $1000
Expected retail price is $699 +/- 10% depending on reseller
Indiegogo price is $599

All of the above barring RRP , has come directly to me from the co-owner of GPD. RRP was from Kendy

Of course, anything can change from now until the Jan 15th Indeigogo Campaign etc

Last edited:
that's what we call kohl's math here in the states

(kohl's is a retail place that has the price 8x higher on literally everything in the store then gives insane "discounts" to make it appear you're getting a deal. They even make a point to tell you how much money you "saved" at checkout)

Last edited:
There's a lighting store around the corner from me on a very prominent main road . It has had a 70% off sale sign emblazened across it for the last 15 years

from indigogo

a thousand dollars!
At that price it makes sense for GPD to keep the Win 1 and 2 in the market, since the win 2 is a completely other price category.

I would have never expected a GPD Product get more expensive than the Pyra!

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

Wow... if it's $699 USD (without tax), it will be over 700 EUR in Germany (incl. tax)
And if they're expected retail price is the one for chinese resellers, then it'll be even more expensive (as shipping costs, return costs and units for warranty returns need to be calculated into the retail price as well... )

That is indeed over 100 EUR more than the cheapest Pyra and probably at least as expensive as the 4GB Mobile Pyra...

Well, that's a normal price for such a product. It's just weird that a previously underdog company like GPD (who sold handhelds a lot cheaper compared to the competition) now has that normal price tag.

All the prices I quoted are for the western market. China is cheaper

The SOC they are using - the M3-7Y30 - is very expensive, to a lesser extent , so is the 128GB SSD.
I'm sure they are not payng this amount, but the list price of the M3-7Y30 is $281USD

I'm sure they are not payng this amount, but the list price of the M3-7Y30 is $281USD

That means they should get it around 150 - 180 USD (if they get it directly from Intel - might be cheaper from unknown sources in China). Still quite a very high price for a CPU, but that explains things.

The 1k price is certainly just pulled out of nowhere to drag preorderers in thinking its a great bargain... I'd surprised if it retails for much more than preorder price...

The 1k price is certainly just pulled out of nowhere to drag preorderers in thinking its a great bargain... I'd surprised if it retails for much more than preorder price...

It will, as it was the case with the Win and the Pocket as well.
Retail price in China will probably be 650 USD and in Europe 750 USD (based on my experience)

I like the concept a lot, but don't get any hopes for very long battery life. I have the Cube Mix Plus tablet with the same chip set (m3-7y30), which gives me 2-3h gaming at best when playing at full chip set speed.
And the 2 batteries in that tablet are pretty big - they make up more than half the volume of the 10" tablet.
The chip set produces a lot of heat under stress i.e. gaming - this thing heats the aluminum backside of my tablet to a temperature that is too hot to touch, but at least it does no thermal throttling.

The Intel 615 HD GPU feels like a substantial upgrade to the one used in the Atom Soc of the GPD Win though, and having a real exchangeable ssd is great.

I was looking into buying a Cube Mix Plus with keyboard and pen plus an iPega 9023 for gaming, just waiting for a good sale on GearBest or AliExpress but since the announcement of the GPD Win 2 I've putted these plans on hold until the IndieGoGo campain. But I thought it would set me back something like USD $450,00 the same price point as the Cube Mix Plus combo that I was looking into. With this annoncement of USD $599,00 it goes far beyond my budget.

I will probably still wait for the campain to make sure of this price tag but in the meantime I ask:

What would be the difference in performance of the 2 devices?

And which would be the advantages of the GPD Win 2 to justify the extra pirce tag since, AFAIK, the hardware is almost identical?

I got my pocket a month or so ago for less than the igg discounted price, so I'd expect that the Win2 will be considerably less if you give it a month or two after release :)

As for the hardware/build quality, they totally nailed it with the Pocket so I'm expecting good things from the Win2.

And which would be the advantages of the GPD Win 2 to justify the extra pirce tag
I guess a lot of the reason would be the relative size of the devices which would impact development / production costs.

Also the Cube mix plus seems incredibly cheap, the mind simply boggles that they can provide that spec for less than £333 delivered in the UK, as vcoleiro1 says the list price of the SOC is over $280

Looking at the specs the performance would be fairly similar unless ram use exceeded 4GB.

As for the GPDWin2 another thing to consider price wise is VAT & Customs charges, it seems a real lucky dip as to whether you get hit with these buying from China / Hong Kong but my guess would be they are more likely to be applied when buying via IdieGogo than via a 'grey import' site.

Back