GPD Win: has anyone tried running "ableton live"?

___

Advanced Member
Hey people,
a colleague is interested in the GPD Win (couldn't get him interested in the pyra... dang), specifically for creating remixes with ableton live on the go.

I was wondering if anyone here has tried running ableton and if it is usable. Obviously a live recording scenario will not be feasible.

It could work but it wouldn't be the best solution, considering the screen size / resolution to look at the loops etc.

He'd be better off spending the money on a 13" Laptop

Yer, get a laptop. I run FL Studio on a GPD Pocket and although gorgeous, the screen is way too small to be useful. that said, Ableton is basically a musical spreadsheet UI-wise, so the contrasting outlines of its controls may be easier to see.

Well he does have a powerful laptop so that isn't really what he needs.

FL Studio I'd assume is less memory hungry than ableton and not comparable. So the question remains: How does ableton perform?

Screensize is an issue but he needs to judge that for himself and if I remember abletons interface correctly, you can pretty much configure how much of the UI is displayed at once, so maybe that is an appropriate solution for him. Also there is touch OSC and similar controller software that could be used to play around once you have a specific setup that suits your needs.

Trust me, I develop DAW software for a living and even with touch, that screen size will be painful to use. Not sure why you think that FL would consume less memory than Ableton? Running with an empty project, FL requires 60MB for the 64bit build. But as they both run VSTs and store samples/patterns, I'd assume that their memory usage would be similar - I can't imagine that the difference between them would be very large at all.

@ZXDunny I assumed it was less memory intensive because ableton seems to include a lot more features by default and it's specs recommend 4gb ram minimum, while fl studio recommends 1gb as a minimum.

Okay, I guess it's not a device for him then. He'll need to stick to his laptop.

thanks for your answers!

Ha! Sorry, but as one of the developers of FL Studio, I can say with quite some certainty that Ableton provides very little that FL doesn't :D

it has indeed been a while since I last tried FL Studio. last time I needed to do some stuff in ableton, it completely overwhelmed me. but I am not an audio/music guy.

Also: very cool that you develop FL Studio @ZXDunny

I'm not an audio/music guy either, but I'm learning fast :D

Reactions: ___
Back