GPD XD

and then licensing becomes a nightmare if you want to bundle or officially support an app or emulator
Why would that be a nightmare? Licensing issues have NOTHING specifically to do with Linux, they exist on every single OS out there.
It's nothing specifically to do with linux. But it ends up being the nature of the beast due to how software ends up on the device. Porting must be done by hand rather than through a compatibility layer like other mobile OS's.

1 example is snes9x, legally, you couldn't bundle it with the hardware you're selling flat out because that's without a doubt commercial use and is being sold as a complete package. Then if you as a company officially made a port specifically for your piece of hardware having it as a selling point it enters the question... is that commercial use? It happens, snes9x has been ported to all types of those older linux based handhelds, but if you start cutting hairs, they were technically breaking copywrite laws, often not even including the license they were breaking.
True - but that is also the case for most SNES emulators for Android, as they're based on SNES9x as well.

That's also the reason I can't offer a fully preinstalled image for the RetroPi (Retrode + Pi2 in one case)-Project.

I can only offer scripts and a tutorial that make setting it up easy, but I cannot include the emulators.

It looks the closet a Chinese manufacturer has gotten to making a decent android handheld to me. My only concern is the position of the dpad which looks a bit to low.

True - but that is also the case for most SNES emulators for Android, as they're based on SNES9x as well.

That's also the reason I can't offer a fully preinstalled image for the RetroPi (Retrode + Pi2 in one case)-Project.

I can only offer scripts and a tutorial that make setting it up easy, but I cannot include the emulators.
absolutely, I'm not saying the android ecosystem is excluded from the bundling problem. I was merely trying to differentiate that in linux devices the software is usually catered to the specific hardware and the licensing problems with being able to supply those programs ported to that specific hardware if not supported by those specific developers. Android, the same software can be available without any ties to that specific device, or even implying that you should use it. Turely non-commercial, and even allows much room for competition within each genre of application based off user preference.

EDIT: now this never happens in reality, in fact, most Chinese android manufacturers illegally bundle paid applications even. But that's not the root of this conversation :p

I understand providing an aftermarket script gets around the licensing problem for commercial use of those emulators technically. But really, I can't imagine anyone buying a retro-pi that won't be using those emulators, so it might as well be bundled. And thats kinda the whole point I'm making.

Last edited by a moderator:
A "turnkey" solution if you will. Due to the popularity of android, finding a 3rd party that specializes in porting android is easlier/cheaper. 

On the other hand, with linux, you have to port the OS, fix the bugs you introduce, and it takes a lot more effort to maintain.
Android is truly something heaven sent for all those chinese "gadget" companies.
I would like to play devil's advocat and ask a question I have read a thousand times in context of the Pandora:

Why should I buy one, I already have a more powerfull phone and there are already a ton of gamepad addons available ?

A "turnkey" solution if you will. Due to the popularity of android, finding a 3rd party that specializes in porting android is easlier/cheaper. 

On the other hand, with linux, you have to port the OS, fix the bugs you introduce, and it takes a lot more effort to maintain.
Android is truly something heaven sent for all those chinese "gadget" companies.

I would like to play devil's advocat and ask a question I have read a thousand times in context of the Pandora:

Why should I buy one, I already have a more powerfull phone and there are already a ton of gamepad addons available ?
Do people really ask that question? Either way, the things pandora offers is different than what phones offer. Since it chooses to offer linux rather than android, the use cases available are going to differ greatly.

Now if your phone had a bunch of physical buttons and a keyboard, but a better processor and was able to run both android and linux, getting something that replicated that much functionality would be kinda silly.

That's probably not the case though, and the real answer lies somewhere in the convergence. Your preferred use, and what product is available to meet that goal.

Show me a 3g pyra that runs both linux and android and I'll get rid of my phone. Show me a phone that runs linux and android and has gaming buttons and a keyboard and I'll get rid of my pandora.

I believe thatgui was saying that this is a question often asked against the Pandora, with a concise answer as you've given, so what is the answer for these cheap handhelds? Why buy a gpd-xd when we have a phone, or a Pandora, or whatever?

Just in my experience; folks talk a big game about using a 3rd party controller or one of those clip on bluetooth gamepads for your phone, but in the end the experience is usually pretty terrible. The clip on pads often suffer from really high latency, and the un-attached game pads usually require you to place your device on an stationary surface and hold the controller with both hands. What good is a mobile gaming device if you can't really play it on the bus (without looking like an asshat).

In addition I find the ecosystem of mobile operating systems really underwhelming. Android is great and everything it has a very mature app market but obscure functionality is often difficult to achieve if there isn't a zero-config solution already in the market. Most handsets I've owned have suffered from pretty varied battery life and there are a wide range of hardware options which don't support mass storage never mind a full spec USB port for peripherals.

So then I thought the solution would be a cheap one off gamepad device (like the GPD-G5A). I came to find that these are usually committee or "me too" designs that lack any real innovative product design, are riddled with hardware flaws (depending on who manufactured the thing, because remember a lot of the time these devices of the same model and generation aren't even made by the same factory), and usually come with some bloatware localization of android with who-knows-what ad/spyware waiting in the wings. Whats more the whole interface design of Android breaksdown when you throw dual analogs and a full set of game keys into the mix; suddenly you're flipping between moving sticks and tenting your hands over the screen to type things. I got serious cramps after an hour long gaming session on a long bus ride.

The OpenPandora seemed a godsend to me; a truly extensible mobile device with built in -largely ergonomic- full function controls, a full spec universal serial bus, really mature power management and a community driven software culture built around the core competency of the device. I'm a little less enthused now that I've suffered firmware reflashes, Nub calibration woes, and SD card corruptions, but ultimately I'd say I still prefer the Pandora over any of the Android/iOS mobile gaming solutions I've tried. Personal preference but thats my reasoning.

I believe thatgui was saying that this is a question often asked against the Pandora, with a concise answer as you've given, so what is the answer for these cheap handhelds? Why buy a gpd-xd when we have a phone, or a Pandora, or whatever?
So for the cheepo android device (excluding the nvidia shield) and the why behind the purchase for most people I believe is exactly that, the price point, but there's also the familiarity and ease of use of the OS, large app ecosystem. And despite not meeting everyone's needs, the quality of the games/apps available I feel are superb.

Some of those devices have their own unique appeals though, such as larger screen, dedicated controls over that of a phone or tablet, ergonomic controls over other game things etc. And some may not value a keyboard for their use cases. Just like in buying/building a computer, the specs need to meet the intended use.

I don't think you'll get more use cases out of the XD than the pyra or a phone, but lots of the same, and maybe just enough, and those overlaps and how it meets your needs is what's important. I can see a market that is looking for a device with a long battery life, clamshell gaming handheld, that fits in your pocket. Some might see it as a gimped pyra in total functionality, but the price is also gimped as well. You could also see it as a better gaming experience than just a phone or tablet.

If you don't need the swiss army knife, when all you needed was a couple of the tools to get the job done why pay extra just for the premium experience? I think is the question that could be asked.

Now the functionality the pandora/pyra doesn't have over an android device (being able to run some of the more recent apps/games) could potentially be fixed by a dedicated recent android OS port. (minus hardware limitations of pandora) As is now, on the pandora and theoretically the pyra, you can/will get what you need to get the job done with a compatibility layer or chrooted android, but it's not exactly a premium experience. For that premium android gaming experience you do need to turn to an android gaming device (not limiting to the cheap ones) with a dedicated native port of android. If that doesn't appeal to your uses, then that's ok. But don't at the same time question the fact the desire exists for some people. The cool thing about it though, is that a complete overlap/eclipse in functionality and experience can happen relatively easily.

Looks like the GPD XD will also be available in a 32GB model

yes, thanks
Edit:

to explain this a little further

So for the cheepo android device (excluding the nvidia shield) and the why behind the purchase for most people I believe is exactly that, the price point, but there's also the familiarity and ease of use of the OS, large app ecosystem. And despite not meeting everyone's needs, the quality of the games/apps available I feel are superb.

Don't get my wrong, loving my niché device, this is not meant as a "this device sucks" through the backdoor question. But leaving the Pandora/Pyra out of this for a moment (which probably reflects the current situation of the market for mobile gaming devices), I just don't see the appeal.You can skip the whole Linux and keyboard aspects as most people seem to be fine without one. As the Gpd-xd only sports Android, there is no difference left in terms of OS or games catalogue.

Which leaves formfactor, (maybe) battery life and dedicated controls on the table. Maybe I am wrong, I can't imagine that the clamshell formfactor is something that draws someone to a device and with most people already plugging in their phone at least once a day.

So (in my world) dedicated controls are the only thing left over (and I am currently craving them a lot, playing Final Fantasy Adventure with touch controls ups the difficulty several levels), which seems also not very appealing as even with the low price point, you could burn through severeal controller addons before reaching that price point.

Ok, I'll act like the pandora/pyra doesn't exist when presenting my case. I will also leave theoretical potential use cases out of it as they would also apply universally among most devices anyway.

lack of quality physical controls has always been a major problem with the obscure handhelds. It seems like such an easy thing to get right given all the examples in the wild of ones that are excellent/good/sufficient. It's curious how so many end up so bad. GPD actually has a pretty good track record of making controls that aren't horrible. Some end up being mediocre, but few end up being *BAD* (looking at you JXD)

The form factor is maybe more attractive than you'd might think. Clamshell is the best option of fitting the most physical work space into a portable form factor. Having controls that aren't jammed together or placed/spaced in areas that would end up uncomfortable. Being able to hold your hands a certain way, and angle the screen another does have it's advantages over the 'PSP' form factor. Nintendo ds I feel better meets my comfort in use than a PS vita for example.

Having physical controls over having a external gamepad on a tablet has it's appeal in usability. Not having to pair a device before each game session is convenient. There is inherent lag introduced when going to a non-wired protocol. Lets just be honest and say the add-on adapters to your screen/keyboard that simulate game controls just plain suck. You need the physical controls, you need them to be integrated for the best experience possible.

Battery life is also an area of contention. Only being able to play real games for 3 hours between charges ends up being the norm on most other android handhelds and even some phones. Some won't mind this, but others might find it disappointing. My favorite device to date was the xperia play. There was an aftermarket extended battery that added 3600mah to it's lifespan ~9 hours of use. I could play retro games on it for really long road trips. I could pull it out of my pocket and get several games sessions in on it without worrying if it still had a good enough charge, or that my desired use would end short because of lack of a charger etc. The standby was excellent, I sometimes would rack up 1-2 weeks between charges if I would only pull it out for a 10 min gameing session here and there. Reliable is the best word to describe it.

All that combined give this device it's appeal I think. If anything, it's at least what makes it more interesting than your run of the mill psp clone android device.

I never said that I can't wait for it to be released?

Also, as for my "I just want to feel this thing in my hands now" comment...Well, I'm actually just curious about how this thing feels seeing as it's design influences come from a 3DS XL.

This thing is a failure already.

The answer: You shouldn't buy any of these cheap Android crap. Doing so means you're downgrading.
Are you schizophrenic? Your opinion on the other forum is that you can't wait for it to be released and that you "just want to feel this thing in my hands now".  :blink:
mistake #1, attempting to understand SONY's thought processes

O/T

I went ahead an preordered one from geekbuying.Hopefully it lives up to the hype.

Back