Gph Is Going To Release The F-300

I was going to buy a Wiz but decided to stick with the GP2X as I wasn't happy with the smaller screen. If GPH make change the screen to a 3.5" oled and add a proper d-pad (wiz one will do) to the F-300 then I almost certainly will get one. ED can you work your magic again?

How hard could it possibly be for one company to take a few minutes to read up on what makes a decent controller? The wiz pad is the best so far, but it's still a little bit lacking in the precision department. Not only this, but why would they go and put the wiz in an F-200 shell, regressing back to batteries, the old backlit LCD screen, etc. If they want to make something good, they should stick with the F-200 model, put a non-rotated OLED screen on it, and make it have a decent D-Pad.

It's REALLY simple to do those things, and it makes me wonder if GPH is paying any attention to the market they're attempting to sell to.

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
How hard could it possibly be for one company to take a few minutes to read up on what makes a decent controller? The wiz pad is the best so far, but it's still a little bit lacking in the precision department. Not only this, but why would they go and put the wiz in an F-200 shell, regressing back to batteries, the old backlit LCD screen, etc. If they want to make something good, they should stick with the F-200 model, put a non-rotated OLED screen on it, and make it have a decent D-Pad.

It's REALLY simple to do those things, and it makes me wonder if GPH is paying any attention to the market they're attempting to sell to.

GPH wants to keep selling F200 like handhelds because they already paid to have the F200 designed with molds built and whatnot. GPH is not keen on producing redesigns - at this relatively low volume it's not worth it. That may also explain why they went with a dual d-pad original design and made the least significant change they could when forced to rectify it.

At this point they're really just selling the Vocamasters with the F200 design in order to capitalize on it for a platform where the target audience doesn't really give a crap about the controls. F300 is just being proposed as an afterthought because they see a potential buyer interest for it and they don't really have to spend much to convert Voca production to it. And even then they're still trying to gauge it. GPH is not a company that makes hardware moves easily.

I don't have much confidence that they can even get 320x240 OLEDs in that size. These screens are not widespread yet. That Wiz can have smallish portrait OLEDs suggests they're being used in phones or PDAs somewhere, where portrait orientation dominates by far. Also, I bet using an LCD is cheaper, both because of the screen itself being cheaper and because they could probably use the Pollux's display controller directly instead of needing an external one like they're using now.

Last edited by a moderator:
So it's decided! No one buys the F-300 unless GPH makes it with a 3.5" OLED, a decent d-pad, and a good battery!

Now that it is settled, we just need a mod to pin this as an announcement. ;)

On a more serious note, at first I was interested on the F-300, but if GPH is not going to commit into making it as the community likes it (and has pointed to them over and over), I think i'm just fine with my F-100 for now. :p

The F300 is currently just an idea and not a fact, they are only looking into if it is viable. Actually it shouldn't really have become public knowledge.

But they already have made a prototype, haven't they? Also Wiz kernel is full of F300 references, and one of Wiz firmware updaters even says "Vocamaster".

notaz said:
But they already have made a prototype, haven't they? Also Wiz kernel is full of F300 references, and one of Wiz firmware updaters even says "Vocamaster".

Plus the information was passed from Tony Han to ED. If its such a big secret then why is the GPH frontman telling about it?

I have talked to Tony myself, and he said that he was quite surprised the forums knew of the F300 as he only mentioned it to ED as a possible project, ED kinda got over excited and posted that the F300 will be out near Christmas, but if you check the thread you will see ED retracts this statement and said:

EvilDragon said:
Looks like there were some communication problems between GPH and me (which can happen, if both have to communicate with a foreign language).
The F300 is just an idea at the moment. It MIGHT see the light of the day, but that's not decided yet.
And the thread post is HERE.

Sorry to dampen this thread but it really is just a possible idea, so please don't go holding GPH to producing it.

Sorry, but I'm quite a bit confused. RX Shorty wrote in the initial post of this thread:

Just received a email from GPH

Afaik Anarchy at the Spanish forum received the same mail. He already opened a thread on his board, if the people are interested. I really don't know what's the problem...

Here's the thread at gp32spain.com:

http://www.gp32spain.com/foros/showthread.php?t=64160

sbock said:
Sorry, but I'm quite a bit confused. RX Shorty wrote in the initial post of this thread:

Afaik Anarchy at the Spanish forum received the same mail. He already opened a poll on his board, if the people are interested. I really don't know what's the problem...
Well as both ED and I have said, the official word from GPH is what we have already told you. But if you want to speculate on what such a project could be like, please be my guest! It might be interesting to feed back to GPH what specs you all would want if the F300 is ever produced, you never know what might happen!

But don't go holding your breath...

;)

notaz said:

The Wiz-based Vocamaster is a reality. The difference between this and the F300 we're talking about would be a name and software.

this is my features list in order of importance ( if they release the f-300)

1. Oled 3.5' 320 x 240. with no tearing.

2. a great d-pad

3. great battery life

Others features that are not really important but can be fun:

- Better cpu and gpu to be able to emulate n64.

- a oled screen type that can be used in direct sunlight

- low weight and slim model.

BUT IN REALITY I ONLY NEED THE 1. OLed 3.5' and i will be very happy, and i will buy it. unfortunately i dont think i will buy the f-300 with a lcd screen. i already have a f-200 and gp32.

I DONT MIND IF I HAVE TO PAY A LOT BUT I WANT A OLED 3.5' screen

(its sad the pandora cant have a oled screen.)

No don't force them to change the screen because the f-300 is the only alternative for these people who don't want to have an OLED screen , and that thing is keeping me from buying the Wiz ...

The other problem is if they make a cradle for the Wiz what will the f-300 users do ??

Regards

sbock said:

Afaik Anarchy at the Spanish forum received the same mail. He already opened a thread on his board, if the people are interested. I really don't know what's the problem...

Here's the thread at gp32spain.com:

http://www.gp32spain.com/foros/showthread.php?t=64160

Yep it was more of a order email of how much units we desire.
But then again, the latest news from ED is something I keep myself pinned on.
I wasn't there at Leipzig.

It's a bit strange...

Depending on the price maybe I could see myself picking this up...I didn't like the size of the Wiz, the size of the screen, the fingerprints issue with the shiny body, or the buttons and D-Pad. All I ever wanted was an upgraded GP2X with a superior D-pad.

I have more PSP button caps that would probably work on the gp2x F-200 d-pad, so we'll see. If the price is right (and if this ever comes to light) maybe I'll buy.

I agree about price being the deciding factor for me. My opinion is the Wiz is too expensive. I don't think it should have been over $150. If they could make this 120-130 (without OLED is fine with me), I'd happily consider this.

At the same time, unless they can make it almost entirely compatible with the Wiz, they shouldn't do it.

slaanesh said:
I'd get one. I'm not really fond of the current Wiz - it's just something about it's looks. The silver trim on the buttons and controller. :p
But isn't what is on the screen that counts more? That Dingoo that you have become so crazy over lately has a bad screen as far as viewing angle (especially rotated) and not as good contrast for the arcade titles you like. I mean a little chrome has totally turned you away from the system? To each his own but that just seems a bit strange.

Orange Pumpkin said:
No don't force them to change the screen because the f-300 is the only alternative for these people who don't want to have an OLED screen , and that thing is keeping me from buying the Wiz ...

Why's that??

DaveC said:
slaanesh said:
I'd get one. I'm not really fond of the current Wiz - it's just something about it's looks. The silver trim on the buttons and controller. :p
But isn't what is on the screen that counts more? That Dingoo that you have become so crazy over lately has a bad screen as far as viewing angle (especially rotated) and not as good contrast for the arcade titles you like. I mean a little chrome has totally turned you away from the system? To each his own but that just seems a bit strange.

The viewing angle on the Dingoo is fine, even rotated. Maybe I just got lucky and got a good one but I'd say the screen is fantastic (easily better than GP2x, DS/lite, PSP). I can pick out loads of faults with the Dingoo but the screen is definitely not one of them. I haven't had a go on a Wiz yet though..

Back