Gps For Pandora?

theehman

Still Fresh
Did a search for GPS but nothing came up. Any possibility this would work assuming suitable software exists for the ARM system?

USB GPS module

Can't tell the brand name or model number to tell you which linux kernel module needs to be added to support it, but generically speaking getting a USB GPS dongle to work in linux shouldn't be a problem. Do a quick google search on 'linux kernel gps' and you probably will get 10+ gps dongles that are being used in linux.

Fun facts:

1. There have already been like 2 or 3 threads on this
2. Clearly GP32X search sucks

Anyway, from what I've heard, all USB GPS devices have a sort of standard for data, so most of them should work fine.
We'll get some official data once the GPS users get their Pandoras.

Whenever USB GPS comes up, I always say: Go for a BlueTooth GPS instead. There's no reason not to, not really. Much less hassle.

Whenever USB GPS comes up, I always say: Go for a BlueTooth GPS instead. There's no reason not to, not really. Much less hassle.
There is at least one reason: extra batteries. A USB GPS should be able to be powered off the Pandora (assuming it is USB2.0 or uses less than 100ma) whereas a bluetooth one needs its own power source.

Last edited by a moderator:
My BT GPS (Holux M1200) can be charged via USB (actually that's the _only_ way of charging it). The Pandora shouldn't have any problems charging it, if necessary. On the other hand the BT's internal battery lasts more than 20 hours of continuous use with BT on, so I have yet to run into any problems there. In a car I can also use the cigarette lighter/5V USB adapter that it came with.

I have a holux aswell similar as described by Tor. Really looking forward to see what navigation software will be available for linux when the p&|a (ohmigad! can't help typing it like that! xDD) ships, as I'm guessing that after the initial excitement of the dongles being supported, that will be the main issue :)

that brando site is cool all that usb crap i could chuck in my pandora lol

There is at least one reason: extra batteries. A USB GPS should be able to be powered off the Pandora (assuming it is USB2.0 or uses less than 100ma"] whereas a bluetooth one needs its own power source.
Most mobile phones have built in BT and built in GPS nowadays. Most of us will probably use mobile phone and BT for portable interweb access anyway.
If you already have a GPS, then a thread about what kind of GPS to get is a pointless endeavor :p
the original poster showed a USB GPS, Tor said there was no reason to get a USB one, I supplied one reason why a USB one might be preferable.

There is at least one reason: extra batteries. A USB GPS should be able to be powered off the Pandora (assuming it is USB2.0 or uses less than 100ma"] whereas a bluetooth one needs its own power source.
Most mobile phones have built in BT and built in GPS nowadays. Most of us will probably use mobile phone and BT for portable interweb access anyway.
If you already have a GPS, then a thread about what kind of GPS to get is a pointless endeavor :p
the original poster showed a USB GPS, Tor said there was no reason to get a USB one, I supplied one reason why a USB one might be preferable.
I'll add another reason that USB might be preferable:
You'll never be allowed to use a bluetooth GPS on a plane.

I have a holux aswell similar as described by Tor. Really looking forward to see what navigation software will be available for linux
There is some software available at openstreetmap.org, which I assume will work on the Pandora. What GPS software do most people use on Linux?

As for software on the OpenPandora, I think the most likely candidates are:

Navit, an opensource turn-by-turn navigation system.

and

TangoGPS, an opensource map.

Both have been ported to ARM systems (OpenMoko for one) and can utilize many maps, including OpenStreetMaps.

I'm not sure on the status of porting them to the Pandora, though, or if anyone is working on it.

But yeah, if I end up getting a Pandora, I'm going to be getting a USB GPS dongle for my car. I really want to be able to update OSM on the go...

I use my garmin with Viking and it's a pretty good setup for analyzing trips and so on, but since the garmin is standalone it does the turn-by-turn bit.

I got one of these for $53USD. USB-based, does data logging with its internal battery and the location remembering finder will come in handy when I'm travelling overseas later this year. The software that comes with it on the driver CD is Windows-only but it uses standard communication protocols so it should run on the Pandora as easily as any other generic GPS.

If all you care about is a 'cheap' GPS, they've got a USB GPS stick for $23USD. A complete listing of their GPS units is in their recent blog post. Just bare in mind shipping with them is often a bit pricey for individual items so I recommend you pick up some other stuff in the process - 4-port USB squid hub for $5USD, generic USB tool bag for $11USD, roll-up keyboard for $6USD, etc...

For the benefit of any new people who haven't been through all the USB discussion, take note:

1. To plug something into Pandora's main USB port, it must be USB 2.0 certified. USB 1.1 devices need to connect via a hub. This port will supply 500mA.

2. USB 1.1 devices can be plugged into the mini USB port (via an OTG adapter), but this port will only supply 100mA.

Just something to keep in mind when choosing a device. A USB 1.1 GPS that draws >100mA is going to require a hub. The safest bet is to make sure everything you buy has the USB High Speed Certified logo on it. Wall of text here: http://pandorawiki.org/USB

, but this port will only supply 100mA.

Just something to keep in mind when choosing a device. A USB 1.1 GPS that draws >100mA is going to require a hub. The safest bet is to make sure everything you buy has the USB High Speed Certified logo on it. Wall of text here: http://pandorawiki.org/USB
1. USB 2.0 certified is not good enough. USB 2.0 is a superset of USB 1.1 and includes USB Full Speed and USB Low Speed. USB 2.0 is NOT an indication of the speed of the port. Many full speed devices have been sold that advertise themselves as USB 2.0, and though this is deceptive, it is accurate and therefore not false advertising. What you need to look for is "USB High Speed". Only High Speed devices will work when plugged directly into the full sized USB port.

2. All speed ratings for USB devices will work in the OTG port as long as they use 100 mA or less.

Back