Gpx2 Unvailed!!

Vimacs posted on Jul 27 2005 at 05:32 PM said:
dont forget the price we are talking about, as it will be cheaper than the current gp its great enugh, only thing i miss is a touchscreen, it would add so much value espacialy for linux.
and when it is backwards compaible i bet it will sell good, cheaper than gp, more power, linux, what more do you want, and its a good media player also, compareable movie players retail for twice of the price.

Screw movies, we want GAMES!

Last edited by a moderator:
skeezix posted on Jul 27 2005 at 04:42 PM said:
The GP32 itself is not an impressive machine, but thats what made it unique -- being all off-the-shelf, its easy to code for. No custom hardware limits you, but means the tricks are all up to you. So these guys will likely be in the same vein.. common goods making it easy. However, relying on multiple CPUs for power instead of single more powerful CPU ratchets it up a touch, so newbie devs will be outclassed (at least for awhile.)

Even though the GP32 is not an impressive machine spec wise now, it was when it was released. The new GP doesn't even have that saving grace.

I believe it will do things better that the current GP32 struggles with eg SNES, high quality Video etc. But I also believe it could have been so much more.

It will boil down to this. Do you want to spend your cash on a unit that adds SNES, slightly better video and a few other tricks but will probably miss out on N64 PS1 GBA etc or wait and see what comes along in another couple of years. After all one industry guru has predicted a sub $100 laptop within 3 years.

"Interestingly, the Tungsten T5 PDA and Treo 650 smartphone from PalmOne, released in late 2004, use NAND flash to back up the contents of main memory during normal operations. PalmOne names this technique "non-volatile file system" (NVFS). It gives the illusion of a RAM storage pool that does not lose any of its data when power is removed. This PalmOne knowledge base article explains how this technique works on the Treo 650."

information from wikipedia...

Doesn't this mean that NAND Flash Memory in fact can be used as extra RAM?? :blink:

/Shaddac

davey g posted on Jul 27 2005 at 06:44 PM said:
Rather than start a new topic I though I'd just ask this in here. At the moment when I enter a thread I see the first post in the thread and then a list of all the other posts below. I don't know how this changed and I can't find the setting in my controls, any help will be appreciated.

Back on topic, the XGP is the portable media player one and this is the one that is supposed to be more like the original GP32. Although this one is also being billed as a portable media player, but considering the original GP32 was aswell, this isn't much of a surprise.

Click on standard, You have linear setting selected.
Located at the top right hand side of this page.

Thread.jpg

Trooper

DaveC posted on Jul 27 2005 at 07:35 PM said:
That 64 Meg is INTERNAL FLASH.  That means it is for storing apps like FW etc.  Remember flash memory has limited writes.  So you would like wear out the write cycles in a week and have a paperweight.  So it is only 32 MB RAM.

No. Rlyeh has said that those 64 MBs can be used to store (for example) NEO GEO ROMS. It's a little slow writing but fast reading and can be rewritten unlimited times, so yes, a NEO GEO emu is perfectly doable. For example: you can have your neo geo roms zipped on the SD card and the emu can unzip them to the 64 MB.

And don't forget that the GP32 CPU speed is 66 MHz (or even lower, I can't remember) so a 250 MHz CPU is a very big plus.

Lets see when the Gp32 normally had 66Mhz and can do 133 easy
the new Gp will go either up to 500 or just to 316-366 (don´t know if its multiplied by 2 or just adds 66Mhz...)

will all you moaners stop it and just give the poor thing a chance goddamnit!!!!!!

remember what craig said about not judging the system on it's clock speed alone, a la gba?

A600 posted on Jul 27 2005 at 05:58 PM said:
DaveC posted on Jul 27 2005 at 07:35 PM said:
That 64 Meg is INTERNAL FLASH.  That means it is for storing apps like FW etc.  Remember flash memory has limited writes.  So you would like wear out the write cycles in a week and have a paperweight.  So it is only 32 MB RAM.

No. Rlyeh has said that those 64 MBs can be used to store (for example) NEO GEO ROMS. It's a little slow writing but fast reading and can be rewritten unlimited times, so yes, a NEO GEO emu is perfectly doable.

And don't forget that the GP32 CPU speed is 66 MHz (or even lower, I can't remember) so a 250 MHz CPU is a very big plus.

Flash rom all has limited writes. Besides many Neo games are bigger than 64 MB anyway. Even then do you know how slow it will be to run a game? you would have to copy from the SD to the internal flash then run from there. Then when you want to run a new game you have to delete from flash, then copy in a new game, unpractical.

Then there is the fact that the CPU speed is so slow. At 200-250 MHz you can't emulate a Neo Geo very well anyway. That is not even fast enough to do SNES with sound at a decent framerate.

x68000 posted on Jul 27 2005 at 08:08 PM said:
will all you moaners stop it and just give the poor thing a chance goddamnit!!!!!!

Yep, lots of moaners here <_<

A600 posted on Jul 27 2005 at 06:10 PM said:

That is because it sucks. Too slow of a CPU, not enough RAM, no buttons for vertical play BAH!

DaveC posted on Jul 27 2005 at 08:09 PM said:
Flash rom all has limited writes. Besides many Neo games are bigger than 64 MB anyway. Even then do you know how slow it will be to run a game? you would have to copy from the SD to the internal flash then run from there. Then when you want to run a new game you have to delete from flash, then copy in a new game, unpractical.

Then there is the fact that the CPU speed is so slow. At 200-250 MHz you can't emulate a Neo Geo very well anyway. That is not even fast enough to do SNES with sound at a decent framerate.

We'll see...

This is looking/sounding good, but before I buy one I'll have to sit back and wait cuz I have no money... and also just to make sure that it'll be worth it. I don't wanna buy it if it'll have practically nothing... if they're still tweaking the design, they should give us a volume knob instead of buttons and have the screen set in the case like on the GP32 so it's protected, at least a little bit.

I cant emulate Snes properly on my old 450Mhz Pc with 64Mbs of ram
Very much games are slow or unplayable slow.
But I heard something about another new Gp2 in this tread hopefully this one has better specs...

use zsnes and blow windows away :)

250 should be enugh for snes, but thats not what it is about.
hopefully we can overclock to ~300mhz, 2*300 would be enugh, also the design is great for me.

DaveC posted on Jul 27 2005 at 07:12 PM said:
A600 posted on Jul 27 2005 at 06:10 PM said:

That is because it sucks. Too slow of a CPU, not enough RAM, no buttons for vertical play BAH!

davec, you really need to give it a chance. After all, the gp32 far out performs what its specs suggest it can do. And we already were told by craig that the system has the capability to emulate many things more than we already have.

It's easy to whinge and moan, but let's put our faith behind gamepark and craig who have both come up with the goods so far, why should we think any different now.

If this system doesnt emulate amiga, neo geo and mega cd, instead of 'eating my hat', i will eat my gp32 instead!!

Oh, and i'll do it at the gbax meet whenever that may be if you want to be there to gloat.

EDIT: and if i cant eat it, i'll smash it up instead!

Well the specs are not spectacular but the price (less than $200 right?) makes me want to buy it the most. For its price, it is a major improvement to the GP32. Sure it could have 400 mhz, 64 MB ram, WiFi, but then I bet there would be less available units to buy and will probably be $250 or greater, which I would not buy.

Back