Gp2x Game Development Update

Huxley posted on Oct 2 2005 at 05:43 AM said:
Azure posted on Oct 1 2005 at 11:15 PM said:
Well, since I already have a GP32 and have a ton of other stuff that I still need to get, I'll only get the GP2X if it can do most of the stuff listed. Mainly:

SNES (Full Speed w/ sound FS1 or less)
GBC (Full color support a la mono games on a GBC)
GBA (Full Speed w/ sound FS3 or less
GENESIS (Full compatibility)
Neo-Geo (Full speed with sound; compatibility for most games)

I think everything you've listed bar GBA emulation is pretty realistic. Although their won't be much call for 'colour support' of mono GB titles - ED's idea for full 256 colour graphics sounds much better :)
Even Neo-Geo? That'd be awesome if we could get that, but it sucks that we won't be able to play anything that is 500+ megs (Though most of the good games are under 500 anyways, we won't be able to play some games like MOTW, LB2, and most Metal Slug games).

Last edited by a moderator:
Mega CD is possible according to reesy who is looking to expand his emu to feature this. Although adding MegaCD support is essentially going to mean that the gp2x will have 2 full systems to emulate in one go. Could be tricky, but there are plenty games worth playing. Sonic and final fight CD anyone? Ooooh, and there are some brilliant working designs translated RPG's too such as the 2 lunar games and Vay.

As for it being as rare as a Gp32, i wouldnt be too sure on that one - around 50,000 gp32's sold - around a few million Mega CD units.

Azure posted on Oct 5 2005 at 01:00 AM said:
Huxley posted on Oct 2 2005 at 05:43 AM said:
Azure posted on Oct 1 2005 at 11:15 PM said:
Well, since I already have a GP32 and have a ton of other stuff that I still need to get, I'll only get the GP2X if it can do most of the stuff listed. Mainly:

SNES (Full Speed w/ sound FS1 or less)
GBC (Full color support a la mono games on a GBC)
GBA (Full Speed w/ sound FS3 or less
GENESIS (Full compatibility)
Neo-Geo (Full speed with sound; compatibility for most games)

I think everything you've listed bar GBA emulation is pretty realistic. Although their won't be much call for 'colour support' of mono GB titles - ED's idea for full 256 colour graphics sounds much better :)
Even Neo-Geo? That'd be awesome if we could get that, but it sucks that we won't be able to play anything that is 500+ megs (Though most of the good games are under 500 anyways, we won't be able to play some games like MOTW, LB2, and most Metal Slug games).

All of the Metal Slug roms I have are around 30Mb?? And LB2 for that matter. Unless I mistunderstood what you meant...

it has to do with the amount of actual RAM, not the physical file size.

your best chance to play all the MS games will be on yoyo's Neo CD emulator.

ther are only the first to games for the neoCD system, and those would also fit into the ram of the gp2x ;) but lastblade2 could work this way.

i just wanna play neo drift out and neo turf masters - remember paying around 70 GBP each for them at launch for the japanese imports.

I thought the whole point of the 64mb ram was so we COULD play those games. Seriously if all we can play are the CDs then it's pointless for me as I'm not looking to redownload a different version of these games, and even if I were they're harder to find than the regular cart roms.

there are only 2 or 3 games which are to big but have a CD version i think.
There are more games which just are to big, so we cant play those. But perhaps there is a way to do it like in GPadvance.

Alpha2 posted on Oct 5 2005 at 01:35 PM said:
I thought the whole point of the 64mb ram was so we COULD play those games. Seriously if all we can play are the CDs then it's pointless for me as I'm not looking to redownload a different version of these games, and even if I were they're harder to find than the regular cart roms.
64 is still a LOT better than 32. Besides, we're still getting MOST of the NG games with 64 megs of ram. We'll just be missing out on the newer games but the classics should be fine (The only real problem will be no KOF past '97 and no MS past Slug 2). Most of the good games will be doable:

AoF 3
ASO II
Blazing Star
Blue's Journey
Bust-A-Move (Again)
Captain Tomaday
Fatal Fury Special
King of the Monsters 1/2
Last Blade 1
Last Resort
Magical Drop III
Magician Lord
Slug/Slug 2
Neo Bomberman
Neo Turf Masters
Prehistoric Isle 2
RBFFS/2
SSII
Sengoku 3
Shock Troopers
Twinkle Star Sprites
Viewpoint
Waku Waku 7
Zed Blade

Alpha2 posted on Oct 5 2005 at 08:35 PM said:

AFAIK the only reason the Neo emulators on the DC and PSP are of the CD version was due to memory limitations, so I see no reason why that shouldn't change for the 2X. There were a LOT more games released for the MVS that should fit within the 64mb, and some good ones too. But I guess it will be easier to port the CD emulators over first, so I wouldn't expect to see MVS/AES for some time yet. /speculation

Blazing Star
Bust-A-Move (Again)
Captain Tomaday
King of the Monsters 1
Magical Drop III
Neo Bomberman
Prehistoric Isle 2
Sengoku 3
Shock Troopers
Waku Waku 7
Zed Blade

These are all excellent games that never made it CD. Waku Waku 7 and Blazing Star makes it worth the effort alone IMHO :D

What about Cyberlip atleast? Next to Sengoku that was like one of the first ones I ever played! If emulation was perfect I might not mind buying the disks and ripping them but that depends still onthe quality of the emulator and how much the disks cost... and also if I really can get them because I don't do the ebay thing.

pay for a pirate set? just d/l the complete set! anyway, yeah the neo cd games are pretty cheap.

btw, xbox with its 64mb of ram is able to play every neogeo mvs game. i know it has vram for this, but could something like that be used on the 2x?

junker posted on Oct 6 2005 at 01:44 PM said:
btw, xbox with its 64mb of ram is able to play every neogeo mvs game. i know it has vram for this, but could something like that be used on the 2x?

possibly, depends what access speeds are like with the NAND memory, bare in mind there will prob only be about 32mb on that available after the OS and stuff are on it... and maybe have more if we can get rid of the standard SD drivers that are currently quiet slow so I hear :(

Azure posted on Oct 5 2005 at 11:18 PM said:
Alpha2 posted on Oct 5 2005 at 01:35 PM said:
64 is still a LOT better than 32. Besides, we're still getting MOST of the NG games with 64 megs of ram. We'll just be missing out on the newer games but the classics should be fine (The only real problem will be no KOF past '97 and no MS past Slug 2). Most of the good games will be doable:

AoF 3
ASO II
Blazing Star
Blue's Journey
Bust-A-Move (Again)
Captain Tomaday
Fatal Fury Special
King of the Monsters 1/2
Last Blade 1
Last Resort
Magical Drop III
Magician Lord
Slug/Slug 2
Neo Bomberman
Neo Turf Masters
Prehistoric Isle 2
RBFFS/2
SSII
Sengoku 3
Shock Troopers
Twinkle Star Sprites
Viewpoint
Waku Waku 7
Zed Blade

I Wont be able to play Metal Slug 3??? NOOOOOOOOOOOO! :(

junker posted on Oct 6 2005 at 02:44 PM said:
pay for a pirate set? just d/l the complete set! anyway, yeah the neo cd games are pretty cheap.

Good idea, IF you can find a steady tracker

i'm just about to go upto a 1mb connection on monday as i live in the countryside, but 10 miles away in my nearest city they have 24mb connections now!..................b**tards

@alpha2 - thought you would have no problems getting a dsl/broadband connection in NY state.

It probably isnt a problem by now but my brother (He actually WORKS for Verizon and could get it for 15 bucks a month) is too much of a lazy bastard to get us a new line because he wants to hang on to his old email and website that he has through Earthlink/minspring.

Back