Gpx2 Unvailed!!

maybe we should start a new thread, where we only post once, stating the (realistic) spec we want to see on this handheld. We could then tabulate the results and forward them onto craig to pass on to gamepark. Any thoughts?

I'm not a fan of touch screens, one way or the other they end up scratched or broke, and most of the time pretty smugged, although it would be very handy for a virtual keyboard and mouse in linux.

[brainwave] How in the hell is anyone going to use linux with out touchscreen or a keyboard, it will drive people insane using the D-Pad over some keyboard [/brainwave] :huh:

What the?!

userloc.JPG

Do you visit IC?

i don't think it is going to be a full linux os, more like embedded linux firmware - a bit like what you get on some satellite receivers.

Iorgy77 posted on Jul 27 2005 at 01:41 PM said:
PC Development
Basic development: Linux
Windows: Enabled via Cygwin installation

Open SDK Library
Supports software development library : SDL(Simple Direct Library)
Basic Library
Graphic library (Sound library)
Hardware I/O library

sounds awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
SbS Studios posted on Jul 27 2005 at 10:26 PM said:
@ davey_g

My brains pretty fried, whats IC? (i probably know, but right now i'm about 95% asleep :p)

I was actually thinking about the way you wrote Belfast, Norn Iron, which is the way I have it written on Insert Credit i.e IC.

Anyway, I stuck my GP32 on ebay a minute or two ago so I can get myself one of these XGP2X2 things if they turn out to be good. So you may soon become the only GP32 user in Belfast, unless there are others hiding out there.

craigix posted on Jul 27 2005 at 09:57 PM said:
Gamepark won't reveal (yet) the exact CPU set up. I have been taking notes of suggestions for months and also i've mentioned to them about the button layout for vertical use already, but a few emails to them should help further that cause ;)

They *are* listening this time.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

Then see my picture of the new GP32 and have them add 2 FULL SIZE buttons next to the stick for Start/Select and fire button dual use in vertical mode. Lose those tic-tac sized Start/Select buttons on the right, which are worthless for gaming. And have them just use a regular volume wheel instead of buttons, more in-betweens and faster to change.

have you noticed the "customer suggestion" button in the support section.

Post your ideas there if you want gamepark to recognice them.... but think about them and dont post any stupid demands... that would just flood the section and wont help us at all...

Edit: Yes, i already preorderd one :p it has a nice design and i just need this system xD the only thing i need now is money ;P

skeezix posted on Jul 27 2005 at 04:26 PM said:
/me weeps

2 * 250MHz?

Bah!

Is that a choice by design, or to keep prices down or which.. but with XScales being commonly available at 400 and 600Mz, its a shame to be stuck with 250MHz (even if times 2).

ie:

It means a lot of careful code writing to take advantage of both CPUs, no easy ports like we're used to. (GP32 is quite easy to port to normally). 500MHz alone is enough for SNES if careful, but of course you want more now.. 600MHz barely does PSX halfway well on PoPC so 500MHz split up likely wouldn't do it well.

Why no GPU? :(

I was rather hoping this woudl be 400MHz and with simple GPU -- 400MHz being enough for most common straight 2d emulation needs; a GPU for 2d blitting and basic 3D.

So hmm...

As is, it could make for some nicer emus, but not by all that much I imagine. Certainly it'd be good for portable video and such, but is that enough to carry it?

Hmm..

Whose going to buy? :)

jeff

you are so rigth!

Well, for a short time there will be 2 known GP32 owners in Belfast :p

Well, I'm giving up on all this speculation for now and going to toy with my new dreamcast :lol:, I don't think I can take any more people saying the systems going to suck and we only know a few details. I've got faith in Craig, and if he says it will be a great system I believe him, after all, he knows A LOT more than we do.

A600 posted on Jul 27 2005 at 06:58 PM said:
DaveC posted on Jul 27 2005 at 07:35 PM said:
That 64 Meg is INTERNAL FLASH. That means it is for storing apps like FW etc. Remember flash memory has limited writes. So you would like wear out the write cycles in a week and have a paperweight. So it is only 32 MB RAM.

No. Rlyeh has said that those 64 MBs can be used to store (for example) NEO GEO ROMS. It's a little slow writing but fast reading and can be rewritten unlimited times, so yes, a NEO GEO emu is perfectly doable. For example: you can have your neo geo roms zipped on the SD card and the emu can unzip them to the 64 MB.

And don't forget that the GP32 CPU speed is 66 MHz (or even lower, I can't remember) so a 250 MHz CPU is a very big plus.

might be, but it makes porting a lot harder again.

@dave: i think the gpx2 looks way better than your gp32-davec design....

dont always be so negative..... i like it how it is + the customer suggestions on the gpx2 site roxx :)

they give me a feeling like they really care about my suggestions :)
im definately buying one now...

they are no_skill....

i dont think they set up a "customer suggestions" site and dont hear to what we are saying...

@ Jarska333: post it @ customer suggestions ;)

If this thing can do Amiga and Snes Emulation and is a fair price i'll definitely be getting one, I got the GP32 for all my emu needs and a PSP but cant be bothered to mess around with emulation on it, it does a great job with movies, music and what good games are available are pretty special but Amiga and Snes emulation is the only thing missing from handheld gaming heaven.

davec needs to post his grievances on the gpx2 website as they are the only ones who will listen and maybe do somthing about it.

I also agree that the design is excellent - Cutting edge, psp style + retro enough, game and watch/neo pocket style - GENIUS!!

Back