Greetings To Gp2x Community

gaterooze posted on Jul 5 2006 at 02:24 PM said:
c64 was/is my favorite system as well, and it is amazing to me to be able to play it on a handheld. I was just playing Lazy Jones and Mayhem in Monsterland earlier. Brilliant.
Thanks for your impressions of playing c64 on handheld.
I'm sure that it will be exciting to have all c64 with 1541 drive and
big collection of d64 images on one little handheld :)
Is there any GP2x frontend for c64 playing like
GameBase64 (http://www.gamebase64.com) ?
If not, maybe it's good idea for first project to develop on GP2x :)

Hope you enjoy the GP2X world.

tnx :)

Last edited by a moderator:
In the undying words of Weird Al:
"Didn't have Nintendo! We just poured salt on snails!"

C64 was my own first gaming experience as well. I was four (or maybe five) years old and sneaking into my brother's room while he was out, "hacking" myself onto his C64 to play. Keep in mind my age and the fact that I'm Norwegian, and still I knew all the codes and the messages and how to work everything. I sometimes wonder if video games DID rot my brain, because I'd forget my legs if I didn't need them to walk around with.

One of the first things I did when I got my Gippex (A stupid but loving nickname, I know.) was to load Donald Duck on it. You know, the one where you do odd jobs for different people and then you buy things for the kids' playground. I could play that game for HOURS when I was a kid. I'm quite ashamed that I've yet to boot up Archon, my all-time favourite. Maybe I'm afraid it would work or something. Or maybe the controls are what I'm worried about. It needs precision.

marcink posted on Jul 6 2006 at 06:11 AM said:
Is there any GP2x frontend for c64 playing like
GameBase64 (http://www.gamebase64.com) ?
If not, maybe it's good idea for first project to develop on GP2x :)

Frodo and Vice both have nice menus, but a GB64 thing would be cool :)

I somehow doubt an "advanced" front end would be of much use on the GP2X's 320x240 pixels. Most of the emulators are well set up and easy to use. I found Frodo easier to use on my Gippex than on the PC. Maybe because there are fewer buttons that could potentially hold the function you want, so it's easier to figure out. Much like Dzz's Nethack port.

rupan777 posted on Jul 6 2006 at 06:52 AM said:
Nobody here owned a Pong system?

*feels old* :unsure:

I had a binatone. It was kind of like this ( top middle image) :)
http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=retro%...TF-8&tab=wi

But it had a cartridge with different games. Probably got it duty free as I lived in Gibraltar for a couple of years at the time.

I took it apart to see if I could plug it into my amstrad....it never worked again :blink:

I had one of the Telstar systems. The cheap pong knockoff that had just a console with the dials built onto the console itself, so you had to sit RIGHT next to your opponent *shakes head*

I never owned a game system till the genesis. I played all my friends c64, intellavision, collecovision, nes and stuff, but again never owned a system till the Genesis/Mega Drive. The reason was I had an Atari 1040 ST in the mid 80's, shortly followed by an Amiga when it came out.

Titcher posted on Jul 6 2006 at 07:56 AM said:
Goity posted on Jul 5 2006 at 07:14 PM said:
Megadrive owned the snes.

Yep.

It did to a certain extent but not in the sound department. Yeah Yuzo Koshiro did some mad music with the Mega Drive but that's really as close as it gets to sounding as good as the SNES. Yes not all SNES games had good music but I feel the sound chip in the snes was far superior to the Mega Drive.

TyBO! posted on Jul 5 2006 at 09:46 PM said:
whiskthecat posted on Jul 5 2006 at 09:19 AM said:
Tobriand posted on Jul 5 2006 at 07:52 AM said:
diversity in origins is one of those fantastic things about this place! You've got people from all the old communities from the 80s and early 90s coming together under one roof - tis fantastic.

My first console was a SNES! :D

(I'm 14)
Ha, I'm 19 and my first console was Nintendo 64! *hangs head in shame*

... though I did own the original Game Boy before that, but that's a handheld.

Anyways, welcome marcink. :)

That's not that bad... I'm 17, and the first full-size console I owned was a Playstation 2. I don't have it anymore, I abandoned it in favor of a Genesis, Dreamcast, and Atari Jaguar.

Back