Are You Planning To Develop Games For Gp2x?

Planning to develop games for GP2X?

• Yes and I'm going for high quality commercial games

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes and I'm planning to make ports/emulators

• Yes but only simple free stuff

• Maybe if there is an easier solution then C

• Maybe but only with some kind of game making software

• Maybe, I don't know yet

• No because I don't have a clue how

• No I'm just interested in playing games

• Total voters

If (when) I get a '2x I'll carry on doing what I do.

Making bits & pieces to amuse myself and when I release them they'll be free.

I haven't the patience or the skill to make an all round 'good' game, but I keep plodding on :)

For now, I'm still twiddling with the GP32 and it keeps me quiet ;)

Had a gp32 for ages and I actually am just getting into gp32 development and will also get a gp2x as soon as Craigx sends it ;). I'll definitely would like to creat stuff for the gp2x. I know quite a bit about C and have created some small gp32 programs just to check out how things work and how de dev environments work.
In the past I have been modifying programs to my taste (emulators) on the BeOS.

Cheers, Mark

To clarify:
Easier then C means a simpler programming solution like Basic.
Game making software means something like Click&Play or RPG Maker.

Well, being a professional developer, saying language X is too hard is like a writer saying English grammar is too hard. Making real commercial games is way way beyond whether you can write some code in whatever language. Just like writing, making a game/application isn't that hard; making a good one is the real challenge.

Your right for the most part, but there are exceptions like Digital Awakening said.
Remember Beach Head (and sequel) for the C64? Written mostly in Basic.

I personally bought a gp2x to get back into coding as a hobby. Its been a long while though... I have a million ideas, but as always work comes first :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, I'd like to add another thing to what I already said:

Since I already know the general C syntax and coding concepts, plus a little OOP, and SDL looks very nice to use... maybe I will get back into trying to learn to code properly ;) Won't be making anything uber-leet like an emu or whatever, but some basic to low/middle range (in terms of complexity) games maybe(so like the first class of games would be pong, pacman etc, the second like, basic platformers or whatever). Might give a try at porting ZDoom across if I get good enough too (but don't hold your breath) :)

It's good to see there's loads of people wanting to develop in some capacity. That is one of the main reasons I feel I missed out on something with the GP32, and why the GP2X will be so good- massive homebrewage!

SDL, from what I've seen before, looks like what it says on the tin: simple. An easy command to draw a pixel, then used to draw thousands of pixels, and easily used to make a game. I've already started porting some VB games of mine to C, then SDL, then GP2X. But what I reckon I will do is some PDA-style programs: organiser etc.

Simple free stuff for me, methinks!

Well, being a professional developer, saying language X is too hard is like a writer saying English grammar is too hard.  Making real commercial games is way way beyond whether you can write some code in whatever language.  Just like writing, making a game/application isn't that hard; making a good one is the real challenge.

There are commercial games written using software like Blitz Basic, don't know how successfull they are but that's up to the design and art skills of the devs and usually not the programming skills.

That was exactly what I was saying. Although I think, C/C++ shouldn't be too hard to most developers, I was not even advocating for C/C++. All I was saying was that the challenge of making good games should be on design and art direction not on actual implementation/coding. I see millions of so-called designers, but seldom I see actually good ones, for example.

I didn't know you developed games, where can I see something you have done?

Well, I don't feel comfortable revealing my identity, but I can tell you that I work for one of the commonly mentioned companies in this board, and you shouldn't have problem finding my games, not for free though. :)

I'll probably do complex free stuff -- SDL as a software target means I should be able to at least re-use a lot of my tools and code from my PC games, if not lift them completely for a simple port.

And hey, any excuse to hack around in C -- having simpler hardware is always a joy to write C for.

I'll probably be doing some shareware-esque free games/remakes. Currently trying to transport some of my stuff to the gba, although I'll probably drop that in favour of the GP2X.

I'll start of with doing lots of free ports, just to get a lot of games out there at the start.

I'm thinking about a commercial game. I've got a few friends who do portable games (For mobile phones). But it is too much work on my own. I'll post pics of my past games if people are interested.

If anyone is interested in making a commerical game in a team?

Mostly free minigames as well for me but when I get the time I would like to try my hand at a commercial game.

Well, being a professional developer, saying language X is too hard is like a writer saying English grammar is too hard.  Making real commercial games is way way beyond whether you can write some code in whatever language.  Just like writing, making a game/application isn't that hard; making a good one is the real challenge.

There are commercial games written using software like Blitz Basic, don't know how successfull they are but that's up to the design and art skills of the devs and usually not the programming skills.

That was exactly what I was saying. Although I think, C/C++ shouldn't be too hard to most developers, I was not even advocating for C/C++. All I was saying was that the challenge of making good games should be on design and art direction not on actual implementation/coding. I see millions of so-called designers, but seldom I see actually good ones, for example.

I didn't know you developed games, where can I see something you have done?

Well, I don't feel comfortable revealing my identity, but I can tell you that I work for one of the commonly mentioned companies in this board, and you shouldn't have problem finding my games, not for free though. :)
that question was pointed at craigix, not you!!

If anyone is interested in making a commerical game in a team?

I would be, but I don't think I'm competent enough yet.

Like most people, I'm probably going to be making simple free stuff for the first while. I'm going to be making a few lame clones of puzzle games to get a feel for what I'm doing and then as I get more comfortable with the hardware and my abilities I'll go on from there.

Java and C++ really arent that far apart... If you have a good understanding of java, getting into C++ shouldn't be too hard (if you want to in the first place of course).
If I get a GP2X I'll probably try my hand at coding for it a bit, but with my attention span it's doubtful I'd ever finish anything :rolleyes:.

I have quite a bit of experience programming with C, and have written games in the past (Nothing commercial... mostly hobbyist stuff in my spare time)... I don't have as much experience with SDL, although I have programmed with it before. If I can find the time to devote to it, I definitely plan to write a few games for the GP2X and port some stuff over to the system. If no one beats me to it, I'd love to take a shot at porting XU4 (Ultima IV remake) and Stella (Atari 2600 emulator)... and I'm dying to see a port of NetHack, although that would likely be a LOT more work...

--Zero

Back