Guarenteed 166mhz GP32!

Carface

Still Fresh
Well I was going to get a GP32 FLU today and I was hoping when I got it that it would be 166mhz. Very fortunatly I go onto GBAX today to get it and see they doing GP32's and FLU versions guarenteed at 166mhz. Whoopee and Phew!
It may cost about £20 extra but at least I'll get what I pay for without any risk as that was the only thing I werent too happy about before.

And lucky I dint get it last Tuesday, I was that close!!

£20 seems a bit steep - what are they doing just checking that they work at 166mhz? I got mine from there before Christmas and it run at 166mhz fine

It's true that it is a good idea to sell gp32 certified 166 MHz (mine o/c at 156 MHz and I'm happy 'cause most o/c less than that I believe) but do they take responsability if your gp32 die?
'cause they never told that this dooesn't damage your gp32!
So you should ask them before purchasing I think.

Well I already bought it now.
Anyway there always seems to be talk about o/c and damaging GP32's especially few months ago but I never heard of a damaged GP32 from o/c once.
They seem to me to be pretty robust little machines and I wouldnt really worry bout o/c at least upto 166mhz cos you never seem to hear of any problems.

I think they are modded so that they are sure that they will work at 166mhz... ( there is a guide on the internet on how to do this so they might be following that)..

if they arent modded that means they are selling the 166mhz gp32's to people who pay extra and that you are certain to gt a non-166mhz gp32 if you dont pay an extra £20 because of this!!!

I never heard of a damaged GP32 from o/c once
seems normal coz the GP32 is equipped with a "too much OC" detector
So if the CPU cant handle the hih frequency the GP32 just freeze
I think this is better than frying a GP....:lol:

see you ;)

btw : I think 20 bucks is a little too much...but 166MHz rocks...5mine only go up to 144 and I would have been pleased to play SNES @ 166)

You both are right!
I'm fed up with hearing "o/c is dangerous!"
Rubbish!!!
It's normal if the manufacturer say that because we never know what it can happen but they really know that in fact 166 Mhz isn't dangerous.
It just decreases the lifetime of your gp32 and a processor lives around 10 years generally.
So even it lives 5 years overclocking it's enough I think.
For example in my gba booklet they say that using rechargeable isn't a good thing! Ah ah ah I've been using this since years and my gba is very ok!
So stop saying it's dangerous to o/c!
Mine always runs at 156 Mhz very nicely hours a day(gpdoom, gpengine, opensnes...).
So when fuckin' men have heard a REAL story about damaged gp32, then they will be allowed to say "It's dangerous" but not before that!

And I know too that there is a lot of people who o/c their gp32 without any problem.
So it would be nice if people could check before telling false story.

Excuse me for my very bad english 'cause I'm french!

I got my one last year at 24th of december from LikSang. I tried the OpenSNES Emu at 166 Mhz. There were no problems at all!

Maybe the newer ones are all/most 166 running? :huh:

I don't think that overclocking is dangerous too. :D

if gbax are just selling gp's that they checked with opensnes9x or something for an extra £20, then thats a little fresh for my liking.. still... they do provide a good service otherwise...

to each his own...

but yeah, as for running the cpu ocd all the time, its up to you, but nobody ever blew a pc cpu that ive ever known of.. just various motherboard components... :blink:

Actually, they are all equipped with the extra voltage mod, which on one hand means that they can probably overclock to more than 166, but on the other hand they run out batteries much faster.

A quick question.

Would I notice any benefit if I got a "guaranteed" 166Mhz GP32? My current GP32 o/c's @ 156Mhz without any hassle. Would I notice any difference with the extra 10Mhz? :unsure:

dd

A quick question.

Would I notice any benefit if I got a "guaranteed" 166Mhz GP32? My current GP32 o/c's @ 156Mhz without any hassle. Would I notice any difference with the extra 10Mhz? :unsure:

dd
Well, it is 6.4% more Mhz this does not equal a 6.4% speed increase though but since it uses an arm processor it is fairly close to that. Perhaps a 5% speed increase. Are you sure you can just overclock to 156? I used to think so too, but mine overclocks fine all the way to 164 (which no game supports for some reason). I have not had the chance to actually try 165Mhz though so that may work as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine can o/c 156 Mhz too but not 166 in doom for example but there isn't 160 Mhz in doom.
But in opensnes there is 160 Mhz and it crashes after 30 seconds maximum.
So it's posible to o/c at 156 Mhz and not to be able to run at more speed.

A quick question.

dd
Well, it is 6.4% more Mhz this does not equal a 6.4% speed increase though but since it uses an arm processor it is fairly close to that. Perhaps a 5% speed increase. Are you sure you can just overclock to 156? I used to think so too, but mine overclocks fine all the way to 164 (which no game supports for some reason). I have not had the chance to actually try 165Mhz though so that may work as well.
Hmmm...

£133.23 for a 5% speed increase. Very good for the seller but as the buyer it brings back memories of the comment Mr. Lydon (AKA Rotten) made at the very last Pistols gig! ;)

dd

Last edited by a moderator:
overclocking is king :p

but I wouldn't shell out for another 5 or 6%...

Wont be enough differenct to make it worth it.

BTW - What did he say? (Johnny Rotten that is....)

scottm: Check GBax.com, they're modifying the GP32 if it doesn't run at 166MHz. The guide to doing that is on my site. I think 20 quid is pretty reasonable for that.

Drumaster: Overclocking does NOT decrease the life of your CPU. If your GP32 runs at a clock speed for (say) 30 minutes, then running at that speed will never, ever, cause your GP32 any damage. If your GP32 locks up or resets, then it still has not done any damage, it's just not capable of operating at that speed.

I'm quite frustrated by the rubbish stories that I keep hearing about it: it will damage your GP32, it is caused by heat, it is caused by bad RAM, newer GP32s run better at 166MHZ than older ones...

All of those stories are WRONG!

The truth is: it's a simple electrical timing issue, it is random whether it will work on one GP32 or another, the manufacturer specifies that it will run at 133MHz and anything above that is a bonus, and overclocking will NOT damage your GP32!

I trust in you Robster because you seem to be honest.
But you say it's easy to mod the gp32 to o/c at 166 Mhz.
Is there any noticable difference between 156 and 166 Mhz(mine goes at 156).
Because I'm not good at all in soldering you know (I didn't manage to install corectly the afterburner on my gba!)

By the way, digestivedunker is the best nickname I've heard in a long time! I love it :D

Johnny Rotten's comment was "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" which is a bit harsh in this case - if you don't think that the 20 pounds is a good deal for guaranteed overclocking, then fine: don't use Craig's service! But remember that some gp32s only run at 140MHz, and the extra 20 or 30MHz is reasonably significant in that case.

Drumaster: I don't recommend that you do the mod if you are not confident with soldering. And as you can do 156MHz anyway, there isn't very much to be gained.

I'm actually pretty happy to do the overclocking mod if anyone's really desperate, but as I'm in New Zealand the postage will take a week each way :(

Maybe someone like Anarchy at Gp32Spain will take up the challenge...

Back