Handwriting recognition

in theory yes, if someone gets on the task of finding/porting/writing a program that handles it

though the keyboard would be much faster, as it's pretty decent

How about ripping off the Graffiti for Android? Owned by Access - license holder of original Palm's Graffiti handwritting recognition system. But I'm in no way the guy who would be able to do such a thing. If it is possible at all ...?

Has this occurred?

I would love handwriting recognition on this device if possible.

Last edited:
I would only find something like this useful for Japanese input, but only because that would allow me to practice writing kanji properly; using the keyboard (and an input method) would surely be much easier for practical purposes. In English, I don't really see the point...

Besides, the Pandora's touch screen is kind of mediocre anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides, the Pandora's touch screen is kind of mediocre anyway.

What's wrong with it? (genuine question)

Well, I'm comparing it to the Nintendo DS, which also uses a resistive touch screen. Compared to the DS, the Pandora seems to require you to press MUCH harder on the screen before anything is registered. You get used to it, so it's OK, but it's not perfect. Also, there's a slight delay which is noticeable if you're dragging the stylus (or your finger) quickly.

AAUI the screen on the Pandora is actually really good. The problems you are experiencing are software issues which can be fixed.

AAUI the screen on the Pandora is actually really good. The problems you are experiencing are software issues which can be fixed.

So, you're saying that by a software change, the touch screen can be made more sensitive? I suppose I would be more inclined to believe that if MyPaint showed it...

From what I can see, it looks like there's a flexible piece of plastic on the outside preventing the touch screen from being touched directly. If this is a correct observation, no software change can ever possibly "fix" the low sensitivity.

I can't figure out what "AAUI" is... all I'm finding is "Apple attachment user interface".

So, you're saying that by a software change, the touch screen can be made more sensitive? I suppose I would be more inclined to believe that if MyPaint showed it...
I think the screen out puts 16 pressure levels, changing which of them constitutes a touch would help

From what I can see, it looks like there's a flexible piece of plastic on the outside preventing the touch screen from being touched directly. If this is a correct observation, no software change can ever possibly "fix" the low sensitivity.
Isn't that how resistive touch screens work? You just don't notice on the DS because you are looking straight down at it.

I can't figure out what "AAUI" is... all I'm finding is "Apple attachment user interface".
search me!

Isn't that how resistive touch screens work? You just don't notice on the DS because you are looking straight down at it.

I beg to differ. You don't notice it because the distance for the DS is much smaller. Hence, you don't need to press it down as much. Believe me, I've tried to notice it on the DS, and I just can't. It's easy to notice it on the Pandora, on the other hand.

I compiled cellwriter. If this is useful for you, I can make a pnd of it.

http://risujin.org/cellwriter/

Edit:

Here is a preliminary pnd, please test and if it is good, I'll put it on the repo:

http://maheld.heckel.../cellwriter.pnd

For me, cellwriter would be my cup of tea.

This is very useful for me .

If possible, a pnd would be grand!!

This is a pnd! Please test it!
I am using a IMAC OSX . Nothing appears but code so I cannot download this pnd file.

I cannot decipher the code language unfortunately.

Sorry :(

I forgot to mention this prior.

Last edited:
Back