Hardcore Hack Idea: Recycle Gpios

atiflz

GP2X Enthusiast
Website
twitter.com
As far as I know, MMSP in the 2x has 32 GPIO pins and most of it is used for gaming controls. It seems to me it is theoraticall ypossible tu solder off the joystick and some buttons to get more than 10(up to 18) GPIO pins and using a heavily modified firmware to use those pins for any job from motor control to serial port emulation.
Experienced hackers, how realistic is that?

Why emulate a serial port when you have a fully working one on EXT ready made?

That was just an example but you're riht, not a good one. The idea is to totally scrap the unit and use the board for something entirely different by recycling GPIOs.

Probably best to make sure those gpio's don't have any debounce circuitry on them first. I'm assuming that will be done in software, but you never know with GPH...

The idea is entirely possible. As Squidge says, you have to check the hardware to make sure there's no form of filtering or debouncing in hardware but then it could be done. It has been done before on the Gameboy and GBA, people have developed several kinds of hardware, including an oscilloscope and a kind of PLC control, which interfaces with the game cartridge slot.

But how realistic is this when microcontroller developer boards go for less than half the price of a 2x and a simple microcontroller application board including the microcontroller costs less than $25?

Yeah, I know buying a UC board is cheaper and easier, but(provided I'll have some time) this is going to be fun.

Thank you for the replies, I didn't think of the debounce issue.

ati said:
Yeah, I know buying a UC board is cheaper and easier, but(provided I'll have some time) this is going to be fun.

Thank you for the replies, I didn't think of the debounce issue.

Of course, you're right about the fun! And microcontrollers usually come without Linux, so there definitely is an advantage in using the 2x.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back