Hardness Maps

devlkore

^_^
Website
www.sparktasty.net
Does anyone know of any good resources regarding hardness maps?

I really need to use them for my game that I keep going on about :D

LA!

I've missed so much in the Fenix forum while I've been away, it's nice to see some new faces (avatars).

Thanks, devlkore (and Moogle of course). If you wouldn`t have asked that question, I would have asked it :D

ThanX guys.

On a side note, where can I get the Dreamcast Fenix collection that has 2 of my demos on it and is there gonna be a Fenix competition?

I looked through that tutorial, and it doesn't explain the ins and outs of hardness maps that well, it also seems to require DIV tools.

The thing is, I need a hardness map for the ship that you will control, not the background. Are there any other tutorials (or source examples) of using hardness maps? Even a crappy tutorial might have a bit more information.

ThanX again, BYEEEEE!!

Basically, in my game I want you to be able to go near the bullets and for it to have some kind of effect (bonus, recharge, whatever), so I want a hardness map that just contains 2 circles, one inside the other and it needs to follow the ship, it has nothing to do with the background.

Each enemy bullet will check the colour of this hardness map to detect whether or not the player should lose energy/die or get the bonus for being near a bullet.

Kind of like Shikigami No Shiro.

Hm I dont really get it. A hardness map is something completely precalculated and it's only used when you need the player to interact with the scroll (so that you can climb a hill, stand on a platform, etc. without using collisions). If I got you right, you're asking for a real-time generated hardness map for each frame?

I think you should definitely include a get_dist() function in each bullet's main loop, hardness maps (again, if I understood what you meant) are not the solution.

Good luck with your project ;)

How about checking the distance, like you told me? :D :D

EDIT: Oh, shit, just noticed Segata Sanshiro wrote the same thing :)

I'm going to be using collisions on a small sprite that is going to be covered up by the proper ship sprite for the part of that can be "damaged", and use distance for the bullet "skimming".

Yup, that should work fine ^^ But bear in mind a GP32 CAN'T handle the amount of bullets you probably have in mind, not even in 8-bit mode...

Back