hardware suggestion - charging coil

codifies

Very Active Member
One of the things I added to elderly S2 was a wireless recieving coil for charging (its one of the ones with a low profile usb plug)

the charging coils are very slim and could easily fit inside the case with little and possibly no redesign!

The one major bonus is that there is zero wear and tear on the charging socket and it should be a very cheap to add...

Seems like something nice people can hack in themselves, however I have my doubts with how the battery compartment is positioned that it would be that easy to fit in.

Its not just the coil, you will need some electronics too. And there is energy transfer loss, much more than the heat dissipation through normal contact charging. Just go find a solar charger with induction coil...

On the plus side, the OP has lots of surface. Just do not leave it charging on the induction stove in the kitchen. lol.

Now a Crank Generator otoh.... are there games where you can use only 1 hand? Will need the other one to crank...

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried to get the ball rolling with this here

Got this response from ED : 

Additionally, I don't really want to support wireless charging as it's such an energy waste right now.
Though from the Poll responses it could well be a desirable feature for significant numbers of Pyra customers.

A concern about needless waste is entirely understandable & desirable, hope a similar concern is also applied here.

To make a good decision on whether wireless charging is needlessly wasteful it would be useful to know how much energy you could expect to use per full charge for a Pyra when using wireless charging compared to wired.

IMHO wireless charging would make an excellent optional extra for the Pyra by offering a compatible 'sticker', let people know the relative efficiencies and then let them decide if it's for them.

Maybe this is also informational:

http://www.wirelesspowerconsortium.com/technology/why-not-a-wire-the-case-for-wireless-power.html

( from: http://www.wirelesspowerconsortium.com/technology/total-energy-consumption.html)

Wired is 60%-76% efficiency. And here are some wireless charging technologies:

why-not-a-wire-the-case-for-wireless-power_page_19.jpg

Calling it a "waste" of energy is rather amusing yes it might "only" be 60% efficient, but then to fully charge a pyra twice multiplied by say 10 (or even moe!) is basically a really tiny amount of energy compared with your TV, washing machine or *wide* range of appliances that are routinely used for hours on end...

As for extra electronics and too much space actually no... my retro fit charging coil is very slim not much thicker than a few sheets of paper, and simply fits into the phones usb socket...

Sure I can (an will) be doing a retro fit myself to save ware and tare but it would have been nice to have it included...

The real question is it worth to throw it in this late into the development. The mainboard PCB and casing is pretty much completed already. Every delay to put in new features is an increased cost to the development and end user... Sure is it handy?, yes. I just don't think a minor convenience of saving a few seconds to plug in a device is worth the cost to adding wireless charging into the design.

A simple charging coil is sticker thin and should be able to be wired to the charge pads fairly easily after market. Even if ED doesn't provide any official mechanism it shouldn't be hard to mod yourself a charger. There's no need for extra electronics: as long as it outputs a fixed voltaget the pmic should take care of the rest.

A simple charging coil is sticker thin and should be able to be wired to the charge pads fairly easily after market. Even if ED doesn't provide any official mechanism it shouldn't be hard to mod yourself a charger. There's no need for extra electronics: as long as it outputs a fixed voltaget the pmic should take care of the rest.
But how do you ensure that the coil produces the right voltage?  By varying the diameter, placing it on the charger and measuring with a multimeter?

But how do you ensure that the coil produces the right voltage? By varying the diameter, placing it on the charger and measuring with a multimeter?
Basically, yeah. There's a formula for figuring out the voltage based on the magnetic flux which can be calculated from input charge station. I don't know how to do it exactly, someone else who knows how to properly apply the formulas would need to figure it out.Fortunately someone already did, and if you don't trust yourself to get the wires wound right you can buy pre-wound parts and build it the simple way.

Its not just the coil, you will need some electronics too. And there is energy transfer loss, much more than the heat dissipation through normal contact charging. Just go find a solar charger with induction coil...

On the plus side, the OP has lots of surface. Just do not leave it charging on the induction stove in the kitchen. lol.

Now a Crank Generator otoh.... are there games where you can use only 1 hand? Will need the other one to crank...
There's alot japanese visual novel or dating "sims" with that intent  ;)

Would be neat if the dock could wirelessly charge the Pyra.

Back