My Pandora Wishlist

People have been talkng about colors and designs for the pandora 2 on this section for, like, ever. But what if the entire back of the device was an E-ink screen? Then you could customize it with whatever bitmap (or whatever it would require) picture or design that you wanted
not worth the cost?

@ post #18 , I suggested modular things repeatedly, a while ago 'exPandora' and was repeatedly told how expensive, pointless and uninteresting it would be - I think the best thing would be if ED's shop stocked USB peripherals with guaranteed pandoraOS (linux) drivers.

Problem is: where would such USB devices go while not jeopardizing pocketability? - This is why I suggested having twin battery compartments, with a USB port in one of them.

I was kind of assuming that the people that didnt have the space or need for such devices wouldnt get them. It's really either modules or nothing when it comes to a device this small. Not everyone will need these modules but the people that do would appreciate the work put intot them. I think what would need to be done before hand would be a poll of some kind that provided some kind of statistic for how many people would need these things and thus buy them. At least then they could be produced responsibly if at all. I can live with buying accessories for the pandora seperately, and I will because of the things I want the pandoa to do. But if the thing I'm buying came from the opt then I would feel better about it both because of where the money is going to and because of the pretty much assured quality of the thing.

I know I'm not the only one that both has and carries around multple accessories for the currrent pandora. I persoanlly have a small webcam, digital tv/fm radio reciever, usb hub, cd/dvd/blueraydisc drive and portable hard drive for the pandora. Granted, these are things I used to lug around for my laptop which has since gone into a coma and three of them dont work yet, but that is mostly out of a lack of time. I should also note that I have a backpack. Even then I have a nintendo ds case that straps to my belt which I also use to carry multiple more sd cards with the pandora.

For people who are willing to do it, space for pandora accessories wont be a problem. For those that dont want the accessories, the pandora 2 by itself should be enough since I imagine it will be a pretty formidable device. The pandora 1 certainly is.

old poll here:

I do see why expansion modules would be good, but it would probably to be better tring to design around the working USB peripherals made by other firms...

has idea;

gets notepad;

scribbles;

old poll here: http://boards.openpa...ware-for-the-p2

I do see why expansion modules would be good, but it would probably to be better tring to design around the working USB peripherals made by other firms...

has idea;

gets notepad;

scribbles;

Binky has an idea. Something cool is about to happen.

Also, just found the thread where the idea of an e ink back of the screen was brought up already. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha! one of the arrows is facing the wrong way :)
companionsketch.png

Why not bluetooth connection? I like this idea, if I'm understanding it right. It's a seperate but tethered device that you can keep nearby and use as a hub to attatch things to, right?

On a side note, couldn't you do the exact same thing forsome kind of tethered hard drive? and what are the security risks of that wireless tethering?

EDIT: also, why is a reflective screen EASIER to read? Why a screen at all?

1. It might be more complex using BT for USB forwarding
  2. Yes, you could do it with storage devices - maybe plug some High-capacity USB sticks into the above
  3. don't know about encryption...
  4. Reflective screens are more comfortable on the eyes - this one could be comfortably turned portrait, maybe even have clever tech to only detect the stylus

1. It might be more complex using BT for USB forwarding
  2. Yes, you could do it with storage devices - maybe plug some High-capacity USB sticks into the above
  3. don't know about encryption...
  4. Reflective screens are more comfortable on the eyes - this one could be comfortably turned portrait, maybe even have clever tech to only detect the stylus

I like the idea. Right off the bat, I think it should be screenless, though. Also, to avoid more dongles, could a wireless usb reciever (or whatever it would use) chip thingy be put inside the pandora and would an internal chip thingy have the same speed/connectivity as an external dongle of some kind? Also, would the speed of this wireless thingy be acceptable/comparable to a physical usb connection?

Also, how much time and money would have to be put forth to actually design, debug and produce such a multi/omnipurpose secondary device for the pandora2? would it be reasonable enough to propose to the OPT when the time came or is this something that might as well be forgotten about because it's never gonna happen? Ok, that last question probably doesn't have an answer, but you get my point.

You can buy wusb hubs anyway

including a WUSB chip in the p2 would be a great idea, but I was thinking of adding other useful things to the external unit.

weather the P2's transceiver was as good as a dongle would probably depend on available space. In good conditions WUSB is as good as USB2.0 hi-speed

given that there are almost certainly off-the-shelf wusb chips, it shouldn't be excessively expensive...

perhaps:

P2:

usb otg

bt

wifi

wusb host

one SDXC slot

one micro SDXC slot under the battery (could be used by os)

Accessory unit:

wusb slave

SDXC slot

HSPDA unit (sim slot etc)

GPS/magnometer

four USB-A sockets

battery compartment (batteries the same as in P1

it should be possible to clip the P2 on top of the accessory unit to A keep them tidy and B transfer charge from one battery to the other

I think the above would be a great selling point - being able to plug arbitrary USB devices - even power hungry ones like harddisks - into your pandora without reducing pocketability or battery life :)

I think the above would be a great selling point - being able to plug arbitrary USB devices - even power hungry ones like harddisks - into your pandora without reducing pocketability or battery life :)

If the secondary device had the same type of battery that the actual pandora2 has then I am totally down. Not really ok with giving up an SD card slot on the main device though. I WOULD however be happy if the secondary device had another sd card slot. Is micros sd card support really necessary? I mean, if you really needed to use a micro sd card then they have sd card shaped adapters that you can put a microsd inside of and it works just like anm sd card. Alot of times they give you one of these with the micro sd card when you buy it. But you can't do the same with a microsd card slot and a normal sd card. The idea of being able to "expand" the nand is cool and i would be totally ok if they could put another slot (possibly microsd) exclusively for that but having that AND the two sd card slots is absolutely going to add to cost.

Long story short, this idea for a secondary device for the p2 has me pretty stoked. It not only can add functionality, but can actually help to drop the price of the main unit, which is something i didnt think would be possible. anyway, heres a quick list of what i'd like to see...

PANDORA 2--

2 sd card slots

wifi

bt

wusb

single usb host

mini usb (if that is the same one we have now, i keep mixing up micro and mini usb)

no ac out, just use the mini usb

similar, if not same battery to pandora1

better general computer specs, obviously. ie ram, nand space, cpu, etc

PANDORA 2 WUSB HOST--

TV out (preferably mini hdmi)

1-4 usb hosts

1-2 sd card hosts

similar battery to p1

no screen

power switch

mount/unmount switch (if possible, for each input or each type of input, ie one for each usb and sd slot or one for all usb and one for all sd)

Ok, maybe 4 usb slots is a bit much, and maybe 1 sd slot would be more realistic but i think this is a good idea still.

If you want video on the expansion unit, WHDI is probably more appropriate - It would be awesome plugging the expansion unit into a TV and using the P2 as a controller though :) :)

My reasoning for dropping the full USB, and downsizing the second SD slot was:

• Makes PCB design easier, as there is more space to work with
  • Encourages people to buy the expansion unit
  • Does not represent a huge drop in functionality (you can still get USB host over mini/micro USB otg)

how about putting a high-current charging port on the expansion unit - then you could use it as a spare battery charger, or a charging dock, whilst adding another gentle incentive to support OP and make the accessories commercially viable

If you want video on the expansion unit, WHDI is probably more appropriate - It would be awesome plugging the expansion unit into a TV and using the P2 as a controller though :) :)

My reasoning for dropping the full USB, and downsizing the second SD slot was:

• Makes PCB design easier, as there is more space to work with
  • Encourages people to buy the expansion unit
  • Does not represent a huge drop in functionality (you can still get USB host over mini/micro USB otg)

how about putting a high-current charging port on the expansion unit - then you could use it as a spare battery charger, or a charging dock, whilst adding another gentle incentive to support OP and make the accessories commercially viable

I'd be ok with that, particularly if it made the design of the actual device simpler. But even if you can convince me to live with a single built in sd card slot (having one or more in the secondary device would be just as good, I suppose) you will be hard pressed to get me to be ok with dropping at least one built in usb host. I like having that there and removing it, even if it was moved to the secondary device, would feel like removing something essential to the device. I don't own a usb to mini usb converter and i havent ever seen one.

I don't know if this thread is relevant anymore, but there is ONE THING I FORGOT when I said what I wanted in the pandora 2.

A usb port COVER. Not like a cheap rubber thingm ether. A classy one that goes flush when it's closed and is almost seamless.it can physically be rubber, or anything, but I want a nice usb cover. AND AN ALUMINUM BLACK CASE, wait sorry that's both implausible and stylish. Implausibley stylish. Why are the things I want impossible? :(

A classy one that goes flush when it's closed and is almost seamless
quote++

The one on the cowon D2(+) is very nicely one:

101596_side.jpg

And overall the design on those things is lovely :wub:

especially the ones with the part-metal casing

d2_zoom08.jpg

what is that magical doohicky? just a video player of some kind?

Also, yes, very very nice.

what is that magical doohicky?
Its a glorified mp3 player - roughly 3" by 2.5" - nice DAB support, does pictures - flash games and videos too when pushed ****** great SQ, battery life

Has a SDHC slot B) - and operates as a sane USB mass storage device

Also as a massively extended audio tweaking system

If the OP2 was being made today, with all the lastest specs, what would those be?

I want to just say this again cuz, I've said it before, the P2 have to be slimmer. Take a couple of inches off. the current size is 27.5mm thick. Anything under 20mm I think would be good. and of course a 5" screen with the current size and I'm sold.

Back