My Pandora Wishlist

Hello again.

Basically I am very pleased with the pandora and it already has done more for me than I expected it to be able to. In fact I may have mentioned before that waiting for a pandora2 is redundant right now when the pandora1 is so capable already. Cutting to the chase, here's why I changed my mind.

In a pandora2 I'd like to see more pc/netbook functionality. The 1Ghtz boards are proof that by the time the p2 is under construction this could be possible. I am currently using the pandora for basically all od my computing needs (albeit out of necessity since my only other computer is still broken) and it has opened up a very satisfying lifestyle of minimalistic computing (by which I mean consolidation onto one device, being extremely mobile, etc) that I think SHOULD be more popular even if it isn't. I would hope that it will become so for the pandora projects sake.

On top of that I would like to see an even more "pandoraesque" interface. By this I mean a unique but simple interface similar to what we already have but nicer looking by default and more immediately accessible. Being able to make the pandora more immediately functional is not a developement issue, but a community issue, since newcomers need to literally ingrain themselves into the community to get the most out of the pandora. Which is awesome, but I think that, given that the pandora would appeal the most to people who are always "on the go" that programs, interface, bug fixes, etc should be immediately accessible to the public in a more immediately gratifying ways than the forums (not that the forums should go). Just my two cents.

I don't know if this is possible, but I would also like to see a slightly bigger screen. Not a big deal in the long run, though. I hear people complain about the speakers but IMHO the speakers are already very nice, especially for a small device like this.

Hdmi output would be awesome (via mini hdmi plug). might be more expensive than the current tv out idea, but then it might be easier to make an dmi tv out happen than the current plan...

I would also like to see a larger nand if possible, since it isn't always possible or practical to expect devs to keep programs from saving things to the nand.

I love the pandora keyboard buttons, but maybe a slightly more flattened version of them could be an improvement so that you dnt have to use quite as much force to type, especially when typing quickly.

A TOUGHER CASE.

possibly also some kind of design that allows for external aesthetic attatchments or form fitting cases. But then there would need to be a plan for those as well.

Keyboard buttons dedicated to media functions like PLAY, PAUSE, NEXT, PREV stuff like that. Only if it would be plausible to expect those to work with media programs, though, since in my past general linux experience they sometimes don't.

possibly a removable false front for the purpose of removing and replacing customizable colored buttons? Again, this is implying any thought at all can be afforded to physical customization.

THREE sd card slots???? I'm just saying, more room is more room. Also, sdxc if possible, but I imagine older, or current, sd cards would be cheaper by the time the p2 became a possibility, so it might actually be smarter to invest in the old/current card reader. Unless, of course, 128gb sd cards become the norm by that time. although the current sd card reader can read 128gb cards pretty flawlessly... I dont know, whatever works.

usb 3.0 port

for the love of god please keep both the micro usb method of charging and the power out. Or make the micro usb port the primary way of charging. Come to think of it, thatd be awesome. so many things use micro usb for charging, I would only need one cable.

Backwards compatibility. Actually, that brings up a good question. SHOULD the p2 be backwards compatible to the current pnd system or should a more advanced, more efficient pnd system be put into place, and would developers have jumped on that bandwagon by the time the p2 came out? Would we risk losing too much good software if it weren't backwards compatible or would we miss out on the opportunity to be able to make even more powerful software for a different system?

I have pretty much everything I could want gaming wise on the pandora1, and I would only hold out for a ps2 emulator if it were possible, but it isn't.

this may or may not already be possible, but I'd like to see the ability to remotely access your home computer at any time. How at any time?

3g/4g inside the pandora. Hell, even a dongle made specifically for the pandora would be nice. But, Iam splitting hairs here since both of the last two things are possible now with a program thats already available (I'm pretty sure) and a usb internet modem or some other third party device. Although a custom pandora app for use on windows/linux/mac that could be used to interface between the two wirelessly WOULD be cool. Maybe take advantage of the bluetooth, make a specific app that uses it, I dont know.

Design wise I can't decide whether I would rather like to see the pandora become more rounded, even more box shaped (with actual corners), or a different design altogether. I know that currently the thickness, weight, and overall size of the pandora is perfect. It even has room to be a little heavier, but obviously that would be coincidental to the hardware needs and not a challenge. Although an aluminum case with a black finish would look classy as fuck. And when it gets scratched it would have a terminator 4 feel to it. If that even makes sense...

Long story short, if things like this happened when the pandora 2 came out, or some other game changer, then I will actually buy one. Until then, I'll just donate to the project when I can.

First thing is, the Pandora 2 should be not that expencive like Pandora 1 goes. I think about 300$-500$ maximum. Brings more people that buy it and you can order bigger batches which also makes stuff much cheaper.

However, your suggestions sound more like 1000$ per unit. :D

$1000 seems like a pretty high estimate, but then I am expecting new technologies to become available by the time the p2 comes out. However, for a device that is a game changer to what is already a game changer (yes, the open pandora is a game changer) I would pay anywhere from $300-$800 and depending on just how powerful it is, yes, I WOULD pay $1000 for it. Granted, it would need to be a legitimate micro computer by then and not a minimalistic micro computer, but I digress.

And for the record, the very instant tht playstation2 emulation becomes possible all bets are off for the price range.

yep, Pandi 2 shouldn't price over 500. I'd definetly pay much more! but I don't want to see peoaple having a hard time getting one. It would also atract people with different fields of interests and those with low budgets.

Nowdays HDMI is already pretty much standard. In lets say 2 years its a must have. So the next Pandora will definetly have HDMI (or my favourite DP).

Yeah, flat keys would be awesome. Tiping is really good when your holding the device but it becomes bearable to type when lieing on a surface (like a keyboard). My fingers always slip -.-

Maybe a 5inch AMOLED screen? ; ) ... If too expensive scrap it

Like peacelovefleashbones I think also beeing a computer capable of performing desktop stuff is one of Pandoras main strengths. AND its moblie! ; )

How about having two battery compartments (with identical batteries), configured to discharge first one, then the other battery.

There would be a couple (2) of full-size USB ports in one of the battery compartments

This way, you could have a (full-load) battery life of 5-6 hours - with an internal disk (i.e. USB flash drive) - or a GPS dongle, or whatever

or a huge battery life comparable to the P1.

As long as OP distributed dongles guaranteed to fit / work with the OS - this would allow everybody to have the extended features they wanted without putting the cost/complexity of the main device up.

You could also swap batteries while the Pandora was running, or cut a hole in lower case of your Pandora to install a larger USB peripheral

Last edited by a moderator:
Vibration/Force-feedback.
Can you get a USB dongle for that?

Edit: wait, that's beginning too sound 'wrong' - this is unintentional :rolleyes:

It would be cool if OP could make a USB card to fit in the second battery compartment with scarcer peripheral chips on it :)

Some excellent ideas, peacelovefleshbones and others....

As I also like the idea of the Pandora being able to be used as a full but pocketable computer....

So, better keys to type on (ie, flatter tops, not so glossy...), 5" display (like on my Dell Streak...), larger NAND if possible, plus some of your other suggestions would be great....

Pandora is great now, but can be even better as my lil' pocket rocket..... :)

1) I'd like to have e-paper screens embedded into the buttons so that the original key layout can be shown. Why e-Paper and not Led display? Those screens whould only need energy when changing images. I don't know any console that is currently emulated that only had color-coding for the keys.

Possible complications: 1- you'll probably need a seperate controller, which uses up both space and power 2- I don't know if it's feasible to have such small e-paper screens.3- the buttons would have to be at least partially transparent. Transparent plastic is usually weaker than opaque plastic.3- It would increase the price/

2) Extra set of shoulder buttons

3) Console support for: Amiga 1200 (including AGA), Dreamcast, GameCube , PS2, Saturn (that one is actually the hardest due to the incredibly complicated hardware).

4) Full cable for TV-out/ other extensions preferrably using *open* standards.

5) resettable fuse that will protect the Pandora from recreational USB hobby projects :).

6) SDXC compatibility.

7) Rugged case, possibly with solar cells embedded.

solar cells would be little use, and expensive

e-ink displays in the buttons is either incredibly unlikely, or the market changing awesome Craig keeps hinting about

1) I'd like to have e-paper screens embedded into the buttons so that the original key layout can be shown. Why e-Paper and not Led display? Those screens whould only need energy when changing images. I don't know any console that is currently emulated that only had color-coding for the keys.

Possible complications: 1- you'll probably need a seperate controller, which uses up both space and power 2- I don't know if it's feasible to have such small e-paper screens.3- the buttons would have to be at least partially transparent. Transparent plastic is usually weaker than opaque plastic.3- It would increase the price/

6) SDXC compatibility.

I like that!

Pandora already has, somewhat, so that's a big likelihood.

Also though this had nothing to do with its function, I think the P2 could do with a little more style - the current case (all one colour, no labels) looks like a box designed to put an overgrown games console in.

How about some curved sides? :)

Like the curves of a Vita?
quite possibly.

I was also thinking about curving the lower corners to match the upper ones - and having little bits of separately molded silver/coloured trim

I would honestly like to keep the pandora as modular as possible, but this tends to counteract my desire for devices to just WORK. For example, A built in gps thingy would work out of the box but would also bring up the cost. Meanwhile any given gps external device may or may not work.

What I would REALLY like to see but didn't mention above because it seems more unlikely than ps2 emulation on the P2 is modular external accessories. What if there was developement for a managery of custom usb (or whatever) pandora accessories that had garunteed native support? Accessories like a gps reciever, a digital TV and\or fm/am/digital radioreciever, or even an alternate 3/4G wifi dongle that automatically becomes the dominant one when plugged in? then we could keep the functional but not as badass current internal wifi chip while still providing 4g. But design for these external things would have to be streamlined in ways that don't get in the way of normal use to be any better than one you could just buy elsewhere.

On the topic of modular accessories, I think the R2 and L2 buttoms would be best if detatchable. Imagine a removable usb (or whatever) addon that placed a second set of shoulder buttons just below (actually extending slightly off the device itself) the real ones. That would be much more comfortable than any placement I can think of and still keep the design for the pandora uniform and not ps3 controller shaped. The shoulder buttons aren't used for alot so not everyone will need them and not everyone who does will need them all the time.

Also, just one last thing. Putting work into accessories like this would create that sort of garunteed after purchase market that businesses use nowadays but in ways that people actually want. You know, by turning your pandora into ironman and attatching rocket launchers or sattelites or whatever it is kids do nowadays. It would also allow the OPT to drive down the cost of the P2 by taking shit out of it and putting it into attatchable things. Thus making those rediculous nintendo ds carrying cases actually useful to buy for the pandora, but thats neither here nor there.

MY OPINIONS!

3) Console support for: Amiga 1200 (including AGA), Dreamcast, GameCube , PS2, Saturn (that one is actually the hardest due to the incredibly complicated hardware).

4) Full cable for TV-out/ other extensions preferrably using *open* standards.

5) resettable fuse that will protect the Pandora from recreational USB hobby projects :).

6) SDXC compatibility.

7) Rugged case, possibly with solar cells embedded.

I don't understand whatthe obsession with epaper is but I can thing of one application of it that could be really cool.

People have been talkng about colors and designs for the pandora 2 on this section for, like, ever. But what if the entire back of the device was an E-ink screen? Then you could customize it with whatever bitmap (or whatever it would require) picture or design that you wanted. I think someone mentioned that Eink screens are actually pretty sturdy but I think some kind of protention would still be necessary, at least from scratching if not crackng. Just for fun I might draw up some case design ideas later and post them in a new thread, but this could be a cool idea. If nothing else though I think it would be implausible just because of the unique application of the screen and the cost of manufacturing as a result.

People have been talkng about colors and designs for the pandora 2 on this section for, like, ever. But what if the entire back of the device was an E-ink screen? Then you could customize it with whatever bitmap (or whatever it would require) picture or design that you wanted
not worth the cost?

@ post #18 , I suggested modular things repeatedly, a while ago 'exPandora' and was repeatedly told how expensive, pointless and uninteresting it would be - I think the best thing would be if ED's shop stocked USB peripherals with guaranteed pandoraOS (linux) drivers.

Problem is: where would such USB devices go while not jeopardizing pocketability? - This is why I suggested having twin battery compartments, with a USB port in one of them.

Back