Release Hase 1.5

Feature request; Play a sound (beep, bell, "lets go!") on the client when it is your turn.  Often when playing hase we are doing something else while it is other people's turn, and we miss it when it becomes our turn.

I hope that was understandable.
Excellent idea! Better even: play a sound when it's almost your turn, e.g. when the last 5 seconds of the previous player start.

You can't do the last five seconds - they could use their AP up and end their turn at any point.  However, you get three seconds of running-away time (IIRC) which could be signalled, if your turn it coming up I guess.

Perhaps running-away time should be a proportion of the main turn time. Maybe a 15th?

2 sec for 30sec turns

4 sec for 1min turns

etc

Certainly an its-almost-your-turn warning would be good.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may have noticed, I've been away for a week. ;) I was on holidays.

A few times now I've ended up in games where everyone else thinks I'm a zombie, but I don't know (other than talking via IRC) that anything has gone wrong.

The game carries on as if nothing has happened, at least for one round of turns. (could the AI be silently taking over from human players?)

Sometimes I can even continue playing (and even win) my local fork of the game, long after the 'real' game has ended.

Sometimes, if everyone else is waiting for a player's data, which seems to be taking an unreasonable time to send (minutes, easily), and that player quits, the game unjams and everyone else can continue playing as normal.

I few times now I've been seeing "waiting for turn data from <user>", everybody else has been seeing "waiting for turn data from Binky" and when I quit, the game resumes for everybody else.

These problems seem to be present in at least the last two versions on the pandora repo.
I have no clue. :\ Maybe I will get more opportunities to debug this the next days/weeks.
To the beep-at-end-suggestion:

I can add such a thing. But I can't know, when a turn is ending, so I can't play the message before the beginning of the turn. Just think of this cases:

• I wait close the end of my turn time and shoot then. So I can't play a warning sound if something misses to shoot.
  • I have 20 seconds left, but shoot and the bullet hit something and I don't have any action points left, I get 5 extra seconds. Ever thought, what happened if I collect a tomato in this 5 seconds? ;) Right: Your turn time continues with 20 seconds left.
  • What if Player 1, Player 2 and Player 3 are playing one after each other, but Player 1 eleminates Player 2, so the warning should be played for player 3, not player 2. ;)
So I will just play some sound when the turn starts. :)

Ah, I hadn't considered getting a tomato after your running away time started (even though I've done that myself).  But yeah, a special 'ding' when it's your turn would be helpful - I often page away once I've entered a room and said I'm ready, and listen for the hop noises to know when the game has started; if I'm first I'm rather scuppered!

New Version 1.5.4.10:

- Bug fix for building stuff on the border (thx @ sheepluva)

- No zig zag in background for waiting for turn data

- Fixed a bug about a flickering screen while entering chat messages

- Removed the "Prototype" in the gcw description

- More space for the game names in the game list in the lobby

- Added warning sound if turn begins

- Redrawing the level border every time

- Added new sprite (thx @ Holysmoke)

New Version 1.5.4.11:

- Second local player got kicked in an online game and went Zombie

- Message, if the client becomes a zombie for the other players

- Fixed a bug about resizing the game window

I think the game is almost ready for wider distribution.
Yes and No. I think your "almost" means the same.On the one hand it really makes fun, network play works most of the time without problems and a little Hase community is already growing.

On the other hand I learned on this board, that the very first impression is very important. It was hard work (including shameless whining) to get new attention for Hase after the first prototype was nice, but not very playable.

I plan to make a new major release in some months (yeah, sorry, plural) adding a way better physics with improvements in the moving, falling damage and no stucking. Furthermore I will add more weapons, improve the old ones, add a tutorial and fix many little bugs and issues I can't fix without breaking the game at it is. And I don't want, that people have to download a new version on a daily basis. ;) So maybe the next version is better suited for your mentioned wider distribution. The fun of Hase doesn't lay in the graphics, but the game idea and the implementation. It doesn't need to be done as fast as possible. Let's rather wait and get positive feedback than increasing the community now with people, who need to handle a version, which is soon™ outdated (and people repeating all the feature request, which make sense, but are already known (like decreasing the max power for the weapons)).

Anyway. Somewhen in the next weeks I will start a (more or less) closed beta for people, who WANT to get new versions on a daily basis, so stay tuned! ;)

Greetings Ziz

PS: Version is 1.5.4.13 now, changelog is boring. ;)

Version 1.5.4.14 is out. I improved the heartbeat function (hopefully) and furthermore you can see, when somebody will get kicked because of a missing connection. :)

New version 1.5.4.15
  • Fixed the ghost arrow bug
  • Static linking of hase to remove the need for LD_LIBRARY_PATH
  • Added sheep sprite set (thx @ Binky)
  • Added skeletal cow err... horse sprite set (thx @ Levi)
  • New explosion sound (better and quieter)
  • Improved sound of cluster bomb explosion

Every day I'm improving!

New version with a bug fix (very long chat messages were able to kill the game) and not more than 10 lines of chat are shown anymore ingame. ;)

I released a new version, but not yet to the repository, because I am not sure, whether the build is stable. Especially the network improvements could result in crashes in the game lobby I think. So I need to test it. Furthermore I want to reward user reading this thread. ;)

These are the changes:

• No blocking for some network interactions anymore (experimental)
  • Camera zooms out, to see everything important
  • More bright border color
  • More different background music tracks. I hope they fit. Discuss!
The download link is this: http://ziz.gp2x.de/downloads/hase/hase.pnd
Enjoy!

Great game, Ziz!

The new version seems stable, and the BGM is nice. :)

Haven't had the opportunity to try multiplayer yet, though.

Great game, Ziz!

The new version seems stable, and the BGM is nice. :)

Haven't had the opportunity to try multiplayer yet, though.
Great, that you like it! Just join #hase on the freenode or use the hase ingame chat from time to time to find some multiplayer opponents. ;)

Thanks Ziz for still supporting the game!

1.6.7:
- Ported the server to php7 and moved to different server per default

Reactions: Ziz
I am not using libsdl2. So I guess you need libsdl-ttf-2.0.0 :)

Back