Hase Development "blog"

Ziz

Advanced Member
Heya!

I am working on Hase again and as my changes are not related to the Software release of Hase 1.4 and 1.5 I thought I make a new thread for this. If you don't know Hase yet, feel free to download it from the repository. Seriously: No download -> no opionion. ;)

I have a long todo and started with the most important part: The movement.

The problem was, that it made fun to float in space, but it wasn't really possible to control the position accurately. Furthermore from time to time you just get struck. I tried to fix this. The default movement is now very slow just like in Worms or Hedgewars. You still make small jumps, but the force of the jump depends on the gravity, so the jump is always very short even with low gravity.

With pressing the jump button you can make the previous far jump to move faster. If you press the jump button twice you do a high jump. This jump also depends on the gravity around you. It is not very high, but enough to jump on other players or other small obstacles.

So this means: At some point you will be captured somewhere. And this is intended. This is a gravitation-artillery-fun-game, so I tried to make hit and run harder. ;)

Furthermore the items bounce now, the items and the player are flinged away when hit, the levels may have holes in them, the min and max power of the weapon is reduced and you can't use the build tool as aiming help anymore ;)

This video shows the former changes. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsrHlZYn6mc

Greetings,

Ziz

PS: Yes, the AI is still stupid. Yes this is on my todo ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool!

Do the random mines bounce about like that health crate did?  Do they stick to people if they hit them, like your manually fired one appeared to do?

That small hop motion seems quite slow to me.  Have you compared it against the old mode of locomotion - is it actually the same speed on say a medium sized circle?

Stupid self-sacrifice by the dumb ai is one of the things in the game that makes me laugh the most.  I hope you can keep that in as a easter egg even after the AI improvements - or make AI skill configurable (which might give single player mode a bit more variety at least)?

Very cool!

Do the random mines bounce about like that health crate did?
Yes
Do they stick to people if they hit them, like your manually fired one appeared to do?
No, the reason is: The shooten mine is a bullet. The mine lying around an item. They behave different. Maybe I should differ the sprite and make a "minebomb", which explodes and drops a mine or similar.
That small hop motion seems quite slow to me.  Have you compared it against the old mode of locomotion - is it actually the same speed on say a medium sized circle?
No, it is slower. As said. But this is intended. If you want to hop fast you can always use a long hop. I think I showed some of them in the video.
Stupid self-sacrifice by the dumb ai is one of the things in the game that makes me laugh the most.  I hope you can keep that in as a easter egg even after the AI improvements - or make AI skill configurable (which might give single player mode a bit more variety at least)?
The AI will in the future still run into it's own bullets. I will improve the AI, that it
  • Kills enemies standing on it's head
  • Changes the direction if it stucks
  • Tries to avoid mines, but to collect health
  • Mabye collects tomatos and changes the weapon if necessary

Do they stick to people if they hit them, like your manually fired one appeared to do?
No, the reason is: The shooten mine is a bullet. The mine lying around an item. They behave different. Maybe I should differ the sprite and make a "minebomb", which explodes and drops a mine or similar.
The ones in real life stick.

The AI will in the future still run into it's own bullets. I will improve the AI, that it

• Mabye collects tomatos and changes the weapon if necessary
Ah, does that mean the fact AI bots who accidentally collect tomatoes don't get extra AP is a bug? I've wondered about that. There's an instance of that in the video I think.

Oh, and I meant to say, I'm not sure magic should impel the player who's hit like a bullet does. They don't make a crater, so they don't have a blast radius etc. Your choice I guess, it just struck me as a bit odd.

I don't feel like watching the video again right now.  Yes, in fictional universes where such things are common, sometimes magic blasts you back by design without leaving a crater.  Sometimes it destroys everything.  Sometimes it lets you float around in a bubble.

Ah, does that mean the fact AI bots who accidentally collect tomatoes don't get extra AP is a bug? I've wondered about that. There's an instance of that in the video I think.
It is intended, so that we don't have to wait the whole turn for the AI not knowing what to do with 1 AP (like with the zombies...)
Oh, and I meant to say, I'm not sure magic should impel the player who's hit like a bullet does. They don't make a crater, so they don't have a blast radius etc. Your choice I guess, it just struck me as a bit odd.
You've never seen Harry Potter? The spells do fling the wizards a lot! :D
The power of the fling is based on the damage, not the crater size. ;)

Today there is no new video for you, but a screenshot:

Bildschirmfoto 2015-08-02 01:26:28.png

I improved the level creationing. You can now

• Save levels (even of already played games and of any game in the lobby)
  • Load levels
  • Undo the last "New level" step
The level format is the same I sending to the server. It is not really human readable. Later I will write a little "Disassembler" to an easy description langauage like
quad 1000 1000 250 350
circle 500 300 200In fact my internal design does the same, but it shortens it to:
Code:
#rs rs 6y 9q*dw 8c 5k
# is quad, * is circle and the mix of letters and digits are the same numbers as in the code above - but with base 36. ;)
With an assembler you can then make a valid hase level out of the human readable code and use it e.g. to draw simple pandora, a pacman or whatever you would like to play in. ;)

Will I ever make a real editor? Probably not. :p

Dear diary...

jk ;)

Yesterday I implemented three little features:

• The game master can kick players. Removing local players and AI works the same way.
  • You get a notice if you get kicked
  • If a player times out in the game lobby, he get's removed after 90 seconds, too (just like ingame)
Furthermore if the game is closed you get a message. This did work at some point in time before, but needed to be fixed now. ^^
Bildschirmfoto - 03.08.2015 - 10:38:21.png

Greetings, Ziz

Newest feature: You can change the game options AFTER creation of the game. Your fellow players don't like your turn length of 5 minutes? Just change it without the need to recreate the game! :D

Bildschirmfoto - 04.08.2015 - 01:06:34.png

Furthermore I did some server improvements. If a submission doesn't work the game tries to send the data again - up to three times. However the check for a sucessful transmit was buggy. So some transmissions alwas happend three times. o_O Hopefully fixed this. ;)

You can change the game options AFTER creation of the game. Your fellow players don't like your turn length of 5 minutes?
 Nice.  I will set it at a couple minutes, then change it when it is another player's turn, then change it back for my turn. :p
The game master can kick players. Removing local players and AI works the same way.
Could this be voted on by players to prevent abuse?  Not a big deal since those that regularly kick players out will probably find they have n one to play with, and I can think of many reasons when this feature would be useful.
Dear diary...
diary said:
Stop talking to me.
:D

You can change the game options AFTER creation of the game. Your fellow players don't like your turn length of 5 minutes?
 Nice.  I will set it at a couple minutes, then change it when it is another player's turn, then change it back for my turn. :p
Oh, I though it is obvious, what I mean.You can of course change the game options after creation of the game, but BEFORE it starts. -_-

The game master can kick players. Removing local players and AI works the same way.
Could this be voted on by players to prevent abuse?  Not a big deal since those that regularly kick players out will probably find they have n one to play with, and I can think of many reasons when this feature would be useful.
No, no player voting. That is much too complex. If a game master is known the be abusive: Don't join his games, tell others about him and create you own game with blackjack and hookers. ;) But I doubt this will be a problem.
Greetings, Ziz

Edit: As it seems not the be clear: This blog is pure reading and watching pictures and videos atm. There will be no test version for at least the next week for different reasons.

I didn't do much today (not much spare time), but I

• Removed the max player option. If you think in a game are too much players, kick Binky some random player ;)
  • Increased the options for the game a lot, but did implement only the
  • Start AP (values from 1 to 5), whichs meaning is obvious imho. However I wonder, who really wants to play with 5 starts ap. Instant avada kedavra all the time. Like the hunger games... May the odds be ever in your favor!
  • Start HP (values from 50 to 200 health)
Screenshot:Bildschirmfoto - 04.08.2015 - 15:10:33.png

As you can see the other options are the border behaviour (imho obvious, too), extra damage for long shoots and the start of the Ragnarök mode. I will not explain this yet, but I think this will make a lot of fun. When I did implement it, I will show you a video. Just so much: It's a sudden death scenario for the end game. ;)

Greetings, Ziz

Hi guys,

I did now implement all the options I introduced to you the last time, so what is new?

• Infinite level mode, which means if you reach the border, you will come out on the other side of the level.
  • Long shoot damage mode, in which the bullets make more damage if they stay longer in the air. If you hit a hare very close to you very small damage is dealt.
  • Ragnarök mode! Bored of boring end games, which are boring? Then Ragnarök mode is for you! Starting with an adjustable round (or the whole time!) all items are replaced with skulls. Furthermore every round an increasing count of skulls is created at the beginning of a turn. These skulls act somewhat like items, but explode if the hit something with a low speed.
  • Furthermore I did decrease the damage dealt from the cluster bomb to avoid loosy bug using instant kills. :p
  • Bullets also don't live longer than 30 seconds from now on.
Watch this video to see, how it looks and feels:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YCSyJXqaeo

As you can see, in the end the whole level is destroyed and the hares are floating in space without control. However in this test game the hares didn't shoot themself, so in a real game we would not reach this situation. ;)

Greetings, Ziz

Back