Release Hase - Prototype two

Why only the first? Did they change the game principle? O_O But obviously this will get a worms clone in space. :D
All Worms games are like that of course but it was the first game that introduced the entire gameplay and I still remember how great it was back then when we played it in school. :D The first Worms also had this much more pixelated look compard to the later games which had more the comic look that was kept for every Worms game after.
It will, because if you want to have positions like worms, you should play worms (or hedgewars). My game will never get this good in this kind of gameplay. I concentrate on the rotation in Space idea. ;)
If this is the gameplay, then it's fine. So basicly you fight onto "planets" in "space"? Why not. ^^ Some graphic improvements and it should look great. Because I can't play Worms onto my Pandora, I would prefer any alternative, as long as you can play against AI bots in Single player.I had alot of fun with Worms1 Demo already back then, the AI was so mean, it always hit you with Grenades and Rockets, no matter how the wind was. This forced me to learn the same moves to even have a chance to this "cheating" AI. And these skills even help in the latest Worms games luckily. :D

By the way, I dreamed about an weird game, like Worms and Mario Cart but somehow like Speedrunners with more Weapons and destructible environment... :-||" I dream weird stuff sometimes but feel free to make an game out of this idea. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
How about a game mode where both players have 6 jumps.  Dont really know what the magic number is, could be 3.

There is LOS on the map.

All players start out at the same time and decide when to fire.

The jumps are like mini turns.

Also there are powerups. See the player in LOS at beginning of turn anywhere on the map. Regret a jump. Bigger blast on cannon.

Crashing into eachother throws you off course, so you begin somewhere you weren't when you ended a turn.

Flying from a crash does not remove LOS.

Its a game of calculating the lag. Your best chance is if you see a player at the start of a turn, your opponent will then be one hop away.

Who shot from where, where am i, where is the best place to get to, what do the other players know?

At the end of each turn, it is replayed, and you see all movement that has happened in the LOS you have removed.

You can blast yourself to rocket jump somewhere, this has more range than jumping.

Kinda like battleships, only you get to also move your battleships.

You can also deflect damage, which costs one life unless you are hit. Each player has 3 lives.

When a player dies it gets to see the replay of the whole round up untill that point. You are still in the game, and can trashtalk and cheat at will.

This adds an element to the game where you could be lying.

If its 2v2 or 3v3 it could be fun if the chat was realtime.
What is "LOS"?

I think I got the basic idea of your suggestions nevertheless. I think, I will try to stay as close as possible at the Worms gameplay, but with gravitation in space. However if I notice, that this idea doesn't work good, e.g. the game gets too hard or too easy, I will rethink your suggestion. But for now I hope, I don't need such a complex game play. :) In fact your idea sounds interesting, but it doesn't need such a gravitation based level design.

Why only the first? Did they change the game principle? O_O But obviously this will get a worms clone in space. :D
All Worms games are like that of course but it was the first game that introduced the entire gameplay and I still remember how great it was back then when we played it in school. :D The first Worms also had this much more pixelated look compard to the later games which had more the comic look that was kept for every Worms game after.
It wasn't pixelated in fact... It just was the resolution of the monitors these days. :D
It will, because if you want to have positions like worms, you should play worms (or hedgewars). My game will never get this good in this kind of gameplay. I concentrate on the rotation in Space idea. ;)
If this is the gameplay, then it's fine. So basicly you fight onto "planets" in "space"? Why not. ^^
Not necessarily planets... It could be just one, but very interesting formed. Everything is possible.
Some graphic improvements and it should look great.
I already got some offers for better graphics. However I look my hare. :p
Because I can't play Worms onto my Pandora, I would prefer any alternative, as long as you can play against AI bots in Single player.
It is a shame, that nobody ported Hedgewars yet. Is there a thread about it? A reason why this doesn't happen? Maybe a Worms for Playstation or the DOS Worms for Dosbox or Qemu work?
By the way, I dreamed about an weird game, like Worms and Mario Cart but somehow like Speedrunners with more Weapons and destructible environment... :-||" I dream weird stuff sometimes but feel free to make an game out of this idea. :D
I have enough projects atm, haven't I? ;)

It wasn't pixelated in fact... It just was the resolution of the monitors these days. :D
Not only that, the first Worms were much smaller, only some pixels tall, like Lemmings. Since Worms 2 they are much bigger and more comical.

Hedgewars could work but afaik it's Multiplayer only, so no bots or not really good bots. Maybe this is outdated info, not sure. ^^"

Your Idea with Hares is good, of course you should keep it. Add some hare-like animations and it looks better. Armed Hares in Space, instant remembers me onto Bucky O'Hare :D

Buckyohare.jpg

Hedgewars could work but afaik it's Multiplayer only, so no bots or not really good bots. Maybe this is outdated info, not sure. ^^"
It is. :)
Your Idea with Hares is good, of course you should keep it. Add some hare-like animations and it looks better. Armed Hares in Space, instant remembers me onto Bucky O'Hare
I would also take Frogs, kangaroos, crickets and any other jumping animals. How about this character design:

jazz1.jpg

I fixed a BIG bug in the "pulling from server"-method. Instead of getting the newest data, it always started from the beginning... That explains, why it takes a long time in the end of the game to get the opponents turn. New version in repo!

If you want to want to play Worms on the Pandora, you can easily run the PS1 version or else Worms DC under UAE4ALL

Would it help if I make some animated character sprites? What size should they have?

I could try to do some pixeling in workbreaks.

I think, that is the third offer for character sprite help...

Thanks, but for now the game should get more depth before I think about better gfx.

How about a game mode where both players have 6 jumps.  Dont really know what the magic number is, could be 3.

There is LOS on the map.

All players start out at the same time and decide when to fire.

The jumps are like mini turns.

Also there are powerups. See the player in LOS at beginning of turn anywhere on the map. Regret a jump. Bigger blast on cannon.

Crashing into eachother throws you off course, so you begin somewhere you weren't when you ended a turn.

Flying from a crash does not remove LOS.

Its a game of calculating the lag. Your best chance is if you see a player at the start of a turn, your opponent will then be one hop away.

Who shot from where, where am i, where is the best place to get to, what do the other players know?

At the end of each turn, it is replayed, and you see all movement that has happened in the LOS you have removed.

You can blast yourself to rocket jump somewhere, this has more range than jumping.

Kinda like battleships, only you get to also move your battleships.

You can also deflect damage, which costs one life unless you are hit. Each player has 3 lives.

When a player dies it gets to see the replay of the whole round up untill that point. You are still in the game, and can trashtalk and cheat at will.

This adds an element to the game where you could be lying.

If its 2v2 or 3v3 it could be fun if the chat was realtime.
What is "LOS"?

I think I got the basic idea of your suggestions nevertheless. I think, I will try to stay as close as possible at the Worms gameplay, but with gravitation in space. However if I notice, that this idea doesn't work good, e.g. the game gets too hard or too easy, I will rethink your suggestion. But for now I hope, I don't need such a complex game play. :) In fact your idea sounds interesting, but it doesn't need such a gravitation based level design.
LOS is the dark fog in games such as command and conquer.  It stands for Line Of Sight. Maybe im using it wrong. Thats the only new mechanic i introduced. You kinda had it already, because each player doesn't see the whole map. It replaces the rather tedious 45 second of playtime/wait. During which you can be really bad at jumping, and if you see your opponent to shoot him in the face, well thats skill gone too. One could adjust the timer down to where you would need to be aware of your position, make up your mind quickly, and know the controls, but thats a stopgap measure. What made worms fun, briefly, was it was a new computer game, and it had crazy weapons. Strategy always wins in terms of gameplay value over time. Liero and teeworlds as live-worms is fun too, but too imbalanced and lacking in the strategy involved for it to be competitive for the beginner.

The gravitation based gameplay you have is really good for a thinking-mans version of it. Lets say you can shoot someone in both directions if the level is perfectly round. But you are giving your position away if you do it.

As an example:

Turn1

So i start my turn, i have 4 jumps. I decide to explore and not shoot firstround to not give away my position. So three forwards, then then one jump backwards.

I see someone jump into rougly where i was at my outmost on the replay.

Turn2

I know they havent seen me, so i anticipate my opponent jumping towards me to explore more, so i shoot one hop in front of their position. If i hit it still means 2 lives left on my opponent, so i have to be careful, but i also know they will see my start-position i had when turn 2 began on their second jump if i miss. I make many jumps in the opposite direction, because i know i can take cover on each hop doing so.

Turn3

I see i blasted my foe on the replay, but as i jumped in the opposite direction on my last hop, there is a flat plain, and someone else is also there. If there are multiple people in the game i can tell them where this is and call in the barrage of fire from my teammates. I miss this person, but i get shot in return, both from person on a plain, and the one i shot at turn 2. I have one life left, and im bleeding in the colour of my character.

It becomes a game of rock,paper, scissor, which is casual enough. I think maybe the tradeoff between lag and tactic is each player has 4 events to do something. You can do 4 jumps, or 3 jumps and one shot.

Rocketjump, crashing, deflect, regret jumping. All those arent needed. Invisibility could be one.

@comradekingu, That just sounds like an idea for a totally different game...

I like the progress on Hase, might fire it up every now and then, so see you on the battlefield.

LOS is the dark fog in games such as command and conquer.  It stands for Line Of Sight. Maybe im using it wrong.

I think you are thinking of Fog of War (FOW).... Line of Sight literally means a direct line that your character can physically see... which I can see how it can be interpreted as such..

But line of sight is probably most applicable in this game, as it doesn't use a fog of war mechanic, other than stuff being off the screen.

Note I haven't spent the time to understand what Kingu's design entails, so I'm only going off the current gameplay.

LOS is the dark fog in games such as command and conquer.  It stands for Line Of Sight. Maybe im using it wrong.
You wrote a quite long word about new game mechanics and the one important words, which are the basic idea, you shorten. ^^ Okay, Line of Sight or shadowed map I know.
Thats the only new mechanic i introduced. You kinda had it already, because each player doesn't see the whole map.
Did you just see the video or actually play the game? You can zoom out and in with the shoulder buttons at any time. There is not such a thing a unviewable level.
It replaces the rather tedious 45 second of playtime/wait.
I already replaced them with "bug fixing". ;) I thought it is a server problem around my php-mysql-approach, but in fact I did something wrong at client side.
During which you can be really bad at jumping, and if you see your opponent to shoot him in the face, well thats skill gone too. One could adjust the timer down to where you would need to be aware of your position, make up your mind quickly, and know the controls, but thats a stopgap measure. What made worms fun, briefly, was it was a new computer game, and it had crazy weapons. Strategy always wins in terms of gameplay value over time. Liero and teeworlds as live-worms is fun too, but too imbalanced and lacking in the strategy involved for it to be competitive for the beginner.

The gravitation based gameplay you have is really good for a thinking-mans version of it. Lets say you can shoot someone in both directions if the level is perfectly round. But you are giving your position away if you do it.

As an example:

Turn1

So i start my turn, i have 4 jumps. I decide to explore and not shoot firstround to not give away my position. So three forwards, then then one jump backwards.

I see someone jump into rougly where i was at my outmost on the replay.

Turn2

I know they havent seen me, so i anticipate my opponent jumping towards me to explore more, so i shoot one hop in front of their position. If i hit it still means 2 lives left on my opponent, so i have to be careful, but i also know they will see my start-position i had when turn 2 began on their second jump if i miss. I make many jumps in the opposite direction, because i know i can take cover on each hop doing so.

Turn3

I see i blasted my foe on the replay, but as i jumped in the opposite direction on my last hop, there is a flat plain, and someone else is also there. If there are multiple people in the game i can tell them where this is and call in the barrage of fire from my teammates. I miss this person, but i get shot in return, both from person on a plain, and the one i shot at turn 2. I have one life left, and im bleeding in the colour of my character.

It becomes a game of rock,paper, scissor, which is casual enough. I think maybe the tradeoff between lag and tactic is each player has 4 events to do something. You can do 4 jumps, or 3 jumps and one shot.

Rocketjump, crashing, deflect, regret jumping. All those arent needed. Invisibility could be one.
In fact it shall be a turn based action game like Worms. I don't want to think about gravitation and player positions, I want to aim and shoot. Of course I will add more funny weapons later. And teams. However I will not make it to a worms like version of a mix of Scotland Yard and Battleship.

I can't wait to give this new version a go. Unfortunately, my SD card is now knackered, and I've had to order a new one

I implemented kicking of inactive players. If this player is the game master no Replay will be created (will fix this later).

An update is necessary for his. Please test this and tell me, whether it works or I broke something...

greetings, Ziz

PS: Thanks to the 1-star-voter. Always neat to get such feedback. :D

You say Hedgewars is multiplayer-only - this is incorrect, in later releases, the AI in hedgewars (assuming you use the higher ones like 4-5) knows what it's doing and is genuinely good. Apart from serious movement restrictions (can't use rope for now), it is a viable opponent, far moreso than for example WWP in a PS1 emulator is.

I actually looked into compiling it for the Pandora once, got stuck and forget about it, but intend to look further into it.

This looks a bit different though :)

I mentioned this may outdated infos. Yes, after research I found out that Hedgewars seems to have some acceptable single palyer modes. :) However, I never tried Hedgewars yet.

Be prepared!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R48QyCYTj7M

these bunnies with their little hop make me think....

Could you adjust that animation a little bit so it look less like f*** ? :D

Back