Heart Of The Alien Redux Gp32

A600

Certified Guru
Heart of the Alien Redux GP32

You need to extract the data iso from your original SEGA CD:

Download CDDissect from http://xport.xbox-scene.com/cddissect.php
insert the HOTA CD on your CD-ROM drive and type

cddissect.exe hota -data

the file hota01.iso will be created, rename it to hota.iso and copy it to gpmm/hota

CONTROLS

[Pad] Movement
Shoot, keep down in order to run
[A] Use your whip
[RSHOULDER] Jump
[LSHOULDER] Quicksave (1 slot)
[SELECT] Quickload
[START] Leave game, or skip animation

Download

Sourcecode

hota1.png

hota2.png

would you consider porting this to the gp2x? I have a gp32 but it is a NLU and I can't stand it after using my gp2x...

Anyways, thanks for this, looks great! This is the first i have ever heard of this game.....

Is it possible for this to be done with other Sega CD games?

No. This a interpreter only for HOTA

deadlychicken22 said:
would you consider porting this to the gp2x? I have a gp32 but it is a NLU and I can't stand it after using my gp2x...

I'd port it but right now, I'm not going to buy a GP2X. Anyway, the sourcecode is available and it should be pretty easy to port it and to add mp3 support (GP32 version doesn't support mp3 because it needs the smpeg lib)

btw, thanks must go to the creator of HOTA Redux, Gil Megidish http://hota.sourceforge.net/ for this awesome program. (I'm only a humble porter)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't mind the RSHOULDER jumping, really. But one thing I noticed was the shoot/shield/blaster button (the B button) is too sensitive. I find it very hard to use the regular shoot because it very quickly goes to shield mode, and it seems impossible to use the blaster (whatever it's called) without also making a shield.

Never played this game before, so I don't know if it's a problem on all versions or not, but it makes it hard to progress.

What about swapping the functions of RSHOULDER and SELECT? Jumping is probably used more often than quickload ;)

I mapped jump to the rshoulder because sometimes you must jump while running and it's easier that way.

But one thing I noticed was the shoot/shield/blaster button (the B button) is too sensitive. I find it very hard to use the regular shoot because it very quickly goes to shield mode, and it seems impossible to use the blaster (whatever it's called) without also making a shield.

I also noticed it. I'll try to fix it but for now (I'm at stage 8) I didn't miss the regular shot :)

deadlychicken22 said:

I'd port it but right now, I'm not going to buy a GP2X. Anyway, the sourcecode is available and it should be pretty easy to port it and to add mp3 support (GP32 version doesn't support mp3 because it needs the smpeg lib)
Once I get better at programming (learning C++ right now) I will look into porting it, but I really have no idea how to go about doing it (time to look through the wiki and google....). Anyways, thanks for the great release, this has forced me to dust off my NLU gp32 once again.....

For everyone who hasn't played this yet, please don't be disappointed by the shitty (and I mean really shitty) ending.

Awesome :D.

I do have a build of this I made for the 2X somewhere, I must dig it out, I figured nobody would be interested. Great game (for the most part). Not a patch on AW but worth a look :D.

o_O HO MY GOD!!!!
AWESOME =D the sequel of another world, in HEARTH OF ALIEN include also the first episode ANOTHERWORLD =).
I have a GP2X, hope wich someone of good soul, can made a porting =°(.
GREAT WORK =).

@shinneri: About the fire button problem: I checked last night the windows version and works exactly like the GP32 version. The laser is fired only if you press the button very quickly, once you get used to it, is very easy :)

How big is the file on the gp32?

Damn, times like this - I wish I had a gp32 with some sort of lighting!

@shinneri: About the fire button problem: I checked last night the windows version and works exactly like the GP32 version. The laser is fired only if you press the button very quickly, once you get used to it, is very easy :)
Yeah, I'm getting more used to it now. Great game.

Thanks again, A600. :)

Back