Heretic2x Released

HauJobb

Website
Visit site
HEP released his first port called Heretic2x.
It is an interpreter for "Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders"
Enjoy the fullspeed port of hhexen with the included demo wad ;)

heretic.gif

Update:
(Heretic 0.4)

- Soundcode fixed
- Keymapping added via "mapping.txt"
- Fullscreen support.
- Config file sets gamma to maximum value

Keymapping:

A = shot
B = run
X = Use/Open
Y = change weapon
L = open map
R = strafe
Start = use item
Select = menu
Vol-/+ = switch items

Download: Heretic2x v0.4

Was this the one where you could stamp on the chickens or something??
Had so much fun multiplayer hertic (& hexen - the pig) during work lunchtimes.. bit like the shrinker in duke nukem. So annoying to be killed in that way :)

Cool.

We really need to be using the shoulder buttons for strafe though (Descent too). Circle strafing is impossible (but needed) with these controls.

Since "open map" is not something that you really need to quickly access it could use a combo like "start"+"B" ot something like that.

Otherwise great port.

Why is it in letterboxed widescreen? Part of porting a game to a handheld is properly utilizing 100% of its screen.

We really need to be using the shoulder buttons for strafe though (Descent too). Circle strafing is impossible (but needed) with these controls.

Button mapping options are crucial for these ports. Personally I like to strafe with the stick and turn with the shoulder buttons.

Thanks to HEP for the release!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like another game to keep me occupied during my lunch break... Thanks for the port!
I agree with what the others have said regarding the controls though, not being able to circle strafe can be such a handycap.

Why is it in letterboxed widescreen? Part of porting a game to a handheld is properly utilizing 100% of its screen.

Maybe because the original Game was using 320x200 Pixels as well? Stretching it to 320x240 would stretch it and mess up the proportions of the graphics.

Maybe because the original Game was using 320x200 Pixels as well? Stretching it to 320x240 would stretch it and mess up the proportions of the graphics.

Unless i'm wrong, it does not matters for 3D games as there would be no stretching, but just an add of viewable zone

This is great, though I can't help thinking that if someone had ported ZDoom, then we would have Heretic, Hexen, Doom and Strife all in the same port, not to mention the outrageous amount of add-ons wads for this port.

Unless i'm wrong, it does not matters for 3D games as there would be no stretching, but just an add of viewable zone

I would think that would require re-coding alot of the interpreter right?

I may be easier to shift up the screen to the top and fill the 40 px bar on the bottom with a HUD but again probably alot of work.

This is great, though I can't help thinking that if someone had ported ZDoom, then we would have Heretic, Hexen, Doom and Strife all in the same port, not to mention the outrageous amount of add-ons wads for this port.
Alternatively for strife, one could try porting SvStrife, based on PrBoom which has already been ported.

SvStrife Source: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=14144

svstrife would be great too :rolleyes:

Fantastic game, excellent port. It's amazing to see what you programmers can do. More amazing that you share with the community. I played this all night and am still amazed. Thanks.

Great port : Heretic was one of the first games I got when I first got a PC.

However for some reason , the 'fire' and 'straft' buttons do not do anything. This makes the game rather tricky.

Back