Horde3d Shader Based Engine Opengl Es 2.0 Port

DDd

Still Fresh
Hi,

I would like to introduce a project that i am going to undertake in the next months. Porting Horde3D graphics engine to OpenGL ES 2.x.

Horde3DLogo.png

Horde3D is a next-gen openGL 2.0 Shader based (no fixed function) graphics engine, it is small (~5.000 lines of code) and simple. And also has an associated editor.

More information on Horde3D: http://horde3d.org and on http://horde3d.org/wiki

Port information, is atm scarce at best ;) http://www.horde3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=289

This is a small project (there is not much to port) however it is also a complex project (the code is not trivial).

If anyone would like to collaborate on this project, it would be a welcomed addition. My priority for this project has taken a blow, due to my acceptance in GSoC 2008, nonetheless it will still happen just not as quickly as I would hope.

I am currently experimenting several physics (leaning towards bullet) and UI/media libraries to make this a game engine vs just a graphics engine. The porting of such libraries should be trivial if they are ANSI C/C++ and do not have esoteric dependencies.

I will update this thread, with development events.

DDd said:
If anyone would like to collaborate on this project, it would be a welcomed addition...
Hey, I've seen you in Ogre3D forums asking for a Ogre3D OpenGL Es 2.0 port (like you, I was very interested in that port, my nickname in that forum was "wormsxp"). As a Ogre3D port is unlikely to be done by the Official Ogre3D Team in the near future and I haven't enough experience with OpenGL / OpenGL ES programming, I can't make that port alone...

So, I think the best thing I can do is trying to help you with your horde3d port (but I would need some time for learning OpenGL ES).

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the team ;)

As soon as i have something ready to be made public i will upload it to a repository and we can work from there. The API is very young so i am sure we all have much to learn.

I have some issues with ogre, it is too damn big and has many dependencies, so i decided to use horde3d instead, since it is already a shader based engine. Irrlicht was also a good candidate, but since it also has a fixed-funtion legacy, and is bigger than horde3d it makes it a less desirable target to port (for me at least), however forum member hybrid is undergoing this effort... I am looking forward to see the progress that he has made.

Yes, that's me :) The Irrlicht code is not much larger, at least not the one which needs to be ported to OpenGL-ES. The current OpneGL driver has a total LOC count of around 8200, which is including all comments, empty lines, and the pretty simple, though line intensive OGL extensions handler (wrapper code for the extension mechanism). Moreover, I have the ogl-es 1.x code up and running and all geometry passing updated to the required API subset for ogl-es 2. So I believe that it's just adding the shaders to Irrlicht to get a working ogl-es 2 version. We'll see :D

Well... I should really start porting the code. I have been postponing because of no hardware availability. On horde3d side there is also a lack of compressed texture support, etc etc... there are little things that keep preventing a smooth development of this project, but one by one they will have to be tackled eventually.

While the ogl2.0es drivers are still not available to the public, it's no reason not to start coding for pc emulator.

Keep track of the efforts on Horde3D forum, as soon as i start coding i will use the horde3d public code repository so the code will be developed in traditional open source fashion.

I'll be sure to lend a hand in the porting process too :)

Wouldn't mind porting Plight of The Weedunks to the Pandora for a giggle!
Though I'm only just in the process of learning ES 2.0 so I'm in no state to actually start it, unfortunately... but hopefully by the time the Pandora starts shipping, I'll be somewhat more comfortable in it, and should the Horde porting process not been started yet, I could give it a shot :)

Good luck with it though!

Very impressive work! Kudos..

I wonder about it's performance on the Pandora, or how much of it will actually function.

Hi ,i have a game in development running off of 3dgs and didnt like the idea of porting it if that is even possible,if i started from the begining and started working with Horde3d for windows could i port my game to pandora if the above port of Horde3d was a success ?

if i get the yes and i can trust that you guys get nit ported over it would make me very happy so i can pick up my project again ,then hopfully get my game on the pandora in the future.

Kind regards

Paddy

Hello,

I'm also interested in porting Horde3D to OpenGL ES 2.0. I've set the building enviroment (using powervr sdk in amd64 debian with a 32 bit chroot) and I'm ready to work on it but I would like to discuss it first.

DDd, please PM me ^^

(I'm cross-posting this to the horde3d forum)

Back