Xreal - Most Advanced Open Source Engine Based On Q3 Engine

'lulzfish' said:
Also, I'm a little underwhelmed by the iPhone's graphics. Does it seriously not do mipmapping?
i was referring to the game devs.

otherwise, of course the gpu does mipmapping. it would be very counter-productive for a gpu not to do mipmapping (tex caches thrashing ahoy). actuatually, mgx is a very nice fragment-shader-less gpu that does dot3 combiner ops in the tex stages (so you can do normal mapping). a few iphone apps actually use that, some even in combination with skinning, wich is impressive given apple do not expose the vertex shaders and you have to do your skinning "vertex shaders" on the VFP11.

Last edited by a moderator:
'lulzfish' said:
Confirmed: All dogs are poodles.

People who are asocial also thank you for every single player game you make.
I guess it's like kicking somebody in the nuts with a remote controlled boot, what's the point of destroying people you can't actually see be destroyed?

The graphics on this look pretty ridiculously good. If Pickle manages to get this working, we may have to chip in on that boat.

'cb88' said:
YES!!! All dialup users thanks you!!
Well, I'm using just a 56K Modem but that is not the reason why I want a good Single Player game. I just like such games and if you know Games like Half-Life, Unreal, Bioshock and so on you know that Multi-Player-Deathmatch isn't the only thing in the world. \^_\^

Of course I would like to see something like Team Fortress for the Pandora. And because good AI is still so incredible rare, I would be very thankful to have good Multi-Player Bots. Maybe some AI-researching Students from M.I.T. or so have some spare time to code a powerful AI for us? :D

'fusion_power' said:
'cb88' said:
YES!!! All dialup users thanks you!!
Of course I would like to see something like Team Fortress for the Pandora. And because good AI is still so incredible rare, I would be very thankful to have good Multi-Player Bots. Maybe some AI-researching Students from M.I.T. or so have some spare time to code a powerful AI for us? :D

The impression I had is that once iD discovered DM that most of the competitors started to seriously reconsider the work of designing AI for their games.

Or perhaps I'm still bitter because Q3 ended up being sans single player.

'Mithrildor' said:
Wow. 45K connection? We have 120 MB/s avaible here.
Sorry to correct you but it would be 120Mb/s not MB/s Big difference.
Difference is 120MB is 120 million bytes
But when you are comparing connection speeds usually mega-bits are used not bytes so....
120Mb is 120 million bits which = 15,000,000 bytes or which is 15MB/s which I still think is alot but I don't keep up with that stuff. Just to give you an idea how I came to this conclusion is if your connection is indeed 120MB/s that would mean its 960Mb/s!!!! Thats crazy fast, not technically impossible though through a giga-bit (1000Mb/s) ethernet card.

I use COX CABLE INTERNET and their fastest speed here in Oklahoma is up to 20Mb/s I have the 12Mbps package.

Where do you live that you have 120MB/s or even 120Mb/s?

also here is a link to my providers site offering internet and will see it says 12 or 20Mbps not MBps
https://secure.cox.com/service/offers/AddFeatures.aspx
Link my not work.

EDIT: Found internet providers offering 160Mbps connections and one even offering 256Mbps but they are seem that they are located outside the USA......dang you America!!!!!!!! nah just kidding God Bless the USA

Right now?

I've got this, for an internet connection.

tin-can-string1.jpg

'PoisonedV' said:
I've got fiberoptic B)
What's the speed on your fiberoptic? I know some people with fiberoptic who don't get much more than I get with cable.

'Derek' said:
'Mithrildor' said:
Wow. 45K connection? We have 120 MB/s avaible here.
Just to give you an idea how I came to this conclusion is if your connection is indeed 120MB/s

Ok its indeed 120Mb/s avaible here in the netherlands
I never said I have 120 Mb/s , I need to be happy with 4Mb/s for, but its enough for me now, to download movies and music.

On Topic KNOW!!!

since this uses VBOs shouldn't it technically run better than quake3 if you chopped off some of the heavy shader stuff?

well... it would be faster wouldn`t it? could be used as an engine for games like Mdave`s

I really don`t have a grasp on the requirements of xreal since it requires shaders and I don`t have a graphics card that has them... what is the proformance on lower end HW like intel or low end ati/nvidia?

I mean I can run ioquake ~30 - 60 fps... on a GF 2 MX 400 .... but that is a fixed pipe is would ioquake be cpu bound enough on a 1.8Ghz sempron to reduce the FPS... I wouldn't think it is

'fusion_power' said:
At the end it is unimportant, how good the engine will look. I think it is much more important, what people do with the engine, how good they can use the engine and how good the games will be. I know some good looking open Source Engines (2D and 3D) for the PC and there never was a really "burner" game made with it. I dream of an 3D open Source game with the intense game experience "Unreal 1" gave me years ago or a Open Source Game of the calibre of "Bioshock". :)
Yes, I think we need more Single Player Open Source 3D Games. Multiplayer is nice but simple Deathmatch all the time really sucks.
If there was an open source 3D engine that would run on pandora and was C++ beginners friendly I would really make one, well actually more something like a first person adventure or rpg :p

What pandora really needs is some original games that have a long lasting appeal for single players, If I only had the right engine and enough time...

since this uses VBOs shouldnt it technically run better than quake3 if you chopped off some of the heavy shader stuff?
VBOs do not greatly help in this memory architecture... Its just a mechanism for keeping data in dedicated graphics memory (of which we have none).

'Dragons_Slayer' said:
'fusion_power' said:
At the end it is unimportant, how good the engine will look. I think it is much more important, what people do with the engine, how good they can use the engine and how good the games will be. I know some good looking open Source Engines (2D and 3D) for the PC and there never was a really "burner" game made with it. I dream of an 3D open Source game with the intense game experience "Unreal 1" gave me years ago or a Open Source Game of the calibre of "Bioshock". :)
Yes, I think we need more Single Player Open Source 3D Games. Multiplayer is nice but simple Deathmatch all the time really sucks.
If there was an open source 3D engine that would run on pandora and was C++ beginners friendly I would really make one, well actually more something like a first person adventure or rpg :p

What pandora really needs is some original games that have a long lasting appeal for single players, If I only had the right engine and enough time...

I'm working on a roguetype engine/game that I'm hoping to port to the Pandora. Talk about long-lasting appeal for single players. I've been playing NetHack for 10 years.

@Adventus that makes sence thanks

@Dragon's slayer uhm... Irrlitch is a c++ engine someone mentioned it already has a gl es 1.0 backend and they are working on opengl es 2 iirc

It seems fairly easy ... just never had the free time to get into it... I am supposed to have a bunch of free time this summer I hope I can find one of those pesky round-to-its

'Adventus' said:
VBOs do not greatly help in this memory architecture... Its just a mechanism for keeping data in dedicated graphics memory (of which we have none).
well, technically, VBO is a mechanism for exerting efficient access/ownership of the data in a vertex array. whether that results in vertex buffers residing in local video memory is almost entirely up to the driver, even on architectures with plenty of such memory; the most the user can do is hint the driver of the data's intended usage.

Back