Xreal - Most Advanced Open Source Engine Based On Q3 Engine

JayFoxRox said:
I guess this thing is a bit overhyped. It shouldn't be a problem graphical wise, why is everybody so horny?
It might be a problem if its a pure port but if an engine is made for the Pandora we can get stuff which looks by far better than this..
Quake 1-3 all show what the SGX can do with opengl-es 1.1.
This is the only engine (and open sourced) that ive seen that has opengles 2.0 support. To me the point of getting it to run is to learn what the hw can do.
Basically this is a doom3/quake4 level engine, if xreal runs it could give us a good indication of how those engines will run when they become open.

Basically its comes down to the only thing we have seen use 2.0 are TI demos, if this works it will be the first 2.0 playable game. (TINCS might be the only other thing close to being runable, but we probally wont see that on a pandora till after the actual release)

Last edited by a moderator:
JayFoxRox said:
I guess this thing is a bit overhyped. It shouldn't be a problem graphical wise, why is everybody so horny?
It might be a problem if its a pure port but if an engine is made for the Pandora we can get stuff which looks by far better than this..

What engine you are talking about? What the hell is "stuff"?

'Sphinxter' said:
'JayFoxRox' said:

What engine you are talking about? What the hell is "stuff"?

i also want to know, the Xreal screenshots looks damn nice!

I wasn't talking about a specific one, just said that if a engine was designed and made for Pandora it could result in games / applications which look by far better than this.

Pickle: I might get my 96k game working before the release which also uses OGLES2.0, but I wouldn't hold the breath on this one myself as its a dirty party-prod from breakpoint so far (With working bump mapping though).

JayFoxRox said:
I wasn't talking about a specific one, just said that if a engine was designed and made for Pandora it could result in games / applications which look by far better than this.
Why would a pandora engine be better, what are you going do that would make it look better?

quake 1-3 are like sports cars that have been driven 4+ years or so they are fun but you have gotten used to them by now

XReal has that new car smell and a very sharp looking paint job

Pickle said:
JayFoxRox said:

Why would a pandora engine be better, what are you going do that would make it look better?

Exactly, thank you.

'cb88' said:
quake 1-3 are like sports cars that have been driven 4+ years or so they are fun but you have gotten used to them by now

At the end it is unimportant, how good the engine will look. I think it is much more important, what people do with the engine, how good they can use the engine and how good the games will be. I know some good looking open Source Engines (2D and 3D) for the PC and there never was a really "burner" game made with it. I dream of an 3D open Source game with the intense game experience "Unreal 1" gave me years ago or a Open Source Game of the calibre of "Bioshock". :)
Yes, I think we need more Single Player Open Source 3D Games. Multiplayer is nice but simple Deathmatch all the time really sucks.

'fusion_power' said:
'cb88' said:

At the end it is unimportant, how good the engine will look. I think it is much more important, what people do with the engine, how good they can use the engine and how good the games will be. I know some good looking open Source Engines (2D and 3D) for the PC and there never was a really "burner" game made with it. I dream of an 3D open Source game with the intense game experience "Unreal 1" gave me years ago or a Open Source Game of the calibre of "Bioshock". :)
Yes, I think we need more Single Player Open Source 3D Games. Multiplayer is nice but simple Deathmatch all the time really sucks.
here here for single player modes

cb88 said:
YES!!! All dialup users thanks you!!

What? Are you implying that only people with slow connections play single player modes? If so, you are very mistaken, good sir.

No obviously not I was implying that networked games are highly impractical for dialup users... or have you forgotten what it is like? running along fine in ioquake at the 28k bandwidth setting.... only 3 other people in the map... LOCKUP!!! (Acutally saurbraten is playable so it isn`'t soo bad)

my connection maxes out at about 5 k steady and 12k on a good day once in a blue moon 5k is barely enough to get the packets out fast enough and a modem is half duplex iirc this is all connected at 49kbs

Also i have friends that play single player games Portal ... bioshock etc... don't press me for more names though since I'm not exactly a "gamer" per say

B-ZaR said:
cb88 said:

What? Are you implying that only people with slow connections play single player modes? If so, you are very mistaken, good sir.

Saying that a certain group of people would be thankful, in no way implies that the only people thankful is that set of people. Simple logic:

All poodles are dogs, but not all dogs are poodles.

No reason to assume anything from his post, other than what was posted.

BackAssward said:
B-ZaR said:
cb88 said:

Saying that a certain group of people would be thankful, in no way implies that the only people thankful is that set of people. Simple logic:

All poodles are dogs, but not all dogs are poodles.

No reason to assume anything from his post, other than what was posted.

Very true. cb88, I apologize for my late night outburst. You sounded sarcastic to my tired ears.

if prey could be ported, that would be a burner ^^
The linux-port is fantastic, one of the best linux-ports ever done.

clause: I know the source-code isn't available and a community-port is impossible, it's still one of the most likely high-quality top-edge single-player shooters to debate.

Well, maybe Prey is not that far away. And the people at 3drealms are aware of Pandora...

CODE
http://uk.wireless.ign.com/articles/952/952649p1.html

'mcobit' said:
Well, maybe Prey is not that far away. And the people at 3drealms are aware of Pandora...

CODE
if they had only used mipmaps.

mcobit said:

CODE

"What it really needs to further attract the hardcore crowd are first-person shooters"

Ha, FPS on the iPhone.
Joke about the importance of popularity vs. actual practicality goes here.

Also, I'm a little underwhelmed by the iPhone's graphics. Does it seriously not do mipmapping?

Back