How About The 720Mhz Omap For The Second Batch?

diegor said:
I'm not sure that you can buy now. It's quite standard to announce some new product to be available "real soon" and then releasing after 12-18 months. Expecialy if their current product is inferior ;)

And on the nvidia site, tegra2 is under "next generation tegra", but with any "buy" link. So probably is not ready at all.

edit: deleted some unmatching tag

Yeah well, uh, you're wrong. You can buy Tegra 250 dev kits now.. well, to clarify, maybe YOU can't buy them, but important enough companies can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase said:
Yeah well, uh, you're wrong. You can buy Tegra 250 dev kits now.. well, to clarify, maybe YOU can't buy them, but important enough companies can.
I can confirm this as I have one.

Laurent said:
Exophase said:

Good, and what is the current price of the chip? There is some distributor selling it?

Thanks in advance.

Laurent said:
Exophase said:
did you buy it privately? ; )

i'll most likely end up getting one myself, but for now i hear some things that make me exercise patience on this one. what are you impressions from the kit?

diegor said:
Good, and what is the current price of the chip? There is some distributor selling it?

Thanks in advance.
You call up Texas Instruments, you say "Hello, I represent <big company> and am interested in getting an engineer sample of the OMAP4"
And then their sales guys talk to your sales guys, their lawyers talk to your lawyers, some agreements are signed, and a little while later, you give them a huge amount of money.
Eventually you get a sample which you're supposed to tinker with to see if it is suitable for your application. If it is, then you order a bunch more.
At least, I'm pretty sure that's more or less how it goes.

darkblu said:
did you buy it privately? ; )
No :p But I know one individual who was given one by nVidia.

My point was just that the chip exists (though I guess it's still an engineering sample) and works.

i'll most likely end up getting one myself, but for now i hear some things that make me exercise patience on this one. what are you impressions from the kit?
What bad did you hear?

The only issue I have at the moment is the lack of Linux support with graphics driver. I have Ubuntu running on it using the framebuffer. Android support looks better including OpenGL ES, but there's no way I'll waste my time with that OS now.

Laurent said:
No :p But I know one individual who was given one by nVidia.

My point was just that the chip exists (though I guess it's still an engineering sample) and works.
ah, sure. a few people have managed to snag some nearly for free with gdc coupons. those kits have been rather hip lately.

The only issue I have at the moment is the lack of Linux support with graphics driver. I have Ubuntu running on it using the framebuffer. Android support looks better including OpenGL ES, but there's no way I'll waste my time with that OS now.
that's what i hear too - things about an immature software stack.

Back