Overclocking The Omap

I'm sure Craig will cover that under OverClocking warranty! GO VOLTAGE INCREASE!

Sander Hoksbergen said:
Mofokubik said:
dell_fire_2.jpg

And you are showing us damage caued by a blown-up LiPo battery because...? Scratch that, that's where the HDD usually is.

That is where the battery is on those dell laptops

Attachments

• dell_fire_2.jpg
    dell_fire_2.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 99
Last edited by a moderator:
Hehe, still using one of those but with TWO battery packs (one at each side of the touchpad) :)
If both blow up i'll post a picture :)

ashdjones said:
laharl said:
1) is it posible to voltmod the omap to reach higher clock speed?

Order your Watt numbers.

lol sorry didn't know that it was ajustable via software, i was already thinking that i would had to solder an ajustable resistor or something to overclock more like i did with my hd 4670 to reach 860mhz ^^

^ I'm still parsing that thread on TMO about overclocking N900(OMAP3430).
There seems to be a large variance in overclockability. Some can't go higher than 800MHz @OPP5, some can't even reach 600MHz @OPP3. A Mer developer was able to reach 1GHz @OPP4.

That thread is a great resource for some speculation :)

Polossatik said:
Hehe, still using one of those but with TWO battery packs (one at each side of the touchpad) :)
If you/hands survive the incident, that is. :rolleyes:

Yoyobuae said:
Polossatik said:
If you/hands survive the incident, that is. :rolleyes:
He'll be fine silly, his hand will be BETWEEN the explosions.

On the topic of overclocking ,with it being said that each chip will clock slightly different
so no stable ground can be made on the highest possible clock rate ,i wonder what we can expect
to clock up to ? i find it a bit crap if say i can clock to 800mhz steady and i write a game
for the Pandora with that clock in mind but yet 400 or so other Pandora owners can only do
750mhz.I also wonder what the real numbers would be ,it's 500mhz standard but it's rated at
600mhz on the blog/mainpage and some devs have been testing at 800mhz ,can we all expect
800mhz ? that would make me more than happy if this was true as it's a good benchmark clock
speed to go with - 600 would be the new standard for users and 800 overclocked -850mhz extreme
overclock and 500 ,underclock.These numbers would be good default settings in software settings
and then there could be the really low clock for mp3 playpack and standby.

Can anyone let me know the current numbers for standard and highest overclock
done so far on the Pandora ?

paddy said:
i find it a bit crap if say i can clock to 800mhz steady and i write a game
for the Pandora with that clock in mind but yet 400 or so other Pandora owners can only do
750mhz.
Solution: don't assume it's possible to overclock at all. Write your program to run as efficiently as possible, and only overclock if you really have to. It's not been seen yet, but it is entirely possible that some Pandora's won't be able to overclock at all.

paddy said:
I also wonder what the real numbers would be ,it's 500mhz standard but it's rated at
600mhz on the blog/mainpage and some devs have been testing at 800mhz ,can we all expect
800mhz ?
The Pandora has several voltage levels. At the standard voltage level, it is guaranteed to reach 500Mhz. There has been success getting it higher at the standard voltage level.
At the highest voltage level, it is guaranteed to reach 600Mhz. There has been even more success getting it even higher at this "overdrive" level.
But, just because there's success now doesn't mean it will remain true in the future. The next batch could very well see chips that can't even hit 700Mhz. TI has started offering 720 rated chips. That is, instead of guaranteeing them at 600Mhz, they guarantee them at 720Mhz. No one is quite certain what this means, but it is possible it means they've started testing for higher clocks and anything that doesn't get 720 is binned as a 600. What that means is that (maybe, always maybe, since this is only one possible outcome) second batch Pandoras will have almost no overclockability at all.

So long story short: do not write a program believing you have 800Mhz to play with. For best results, write it thinking you only have 500Mhz (or even less would be better) to play with, and it's better to try to optimize away problems than to bump the clock speed, if you can.

as with the gp2x, some would reach only 220MHz and some lucky ones would reach 300 MHz, as far a i know the pandora's cpu overclock isn't limited because of the memory chip. In my case my gp2x only reaches 260MHz stable, but if i set the memory divider to 2, i can reach 280MHz stable.
So if noone can guarantee that the pandoras can reach XXX MHz then the best would be to aim for 600. If you were lucky, u can overclock to get some EXTRA fps but that's just it, a extra.

it would be great if all the peaople that ordered the pandora could test their to see how far they reach, even better if the OP team could test them before shiping. If they all reached more than 720, the second batch could be made using the 720 MHz version of the OMAP how about that, so noone is left outside.

^ The chips have been ordered already and the 720MHz version was too expensive.

As a side thought, an OMAP3540 doesn't exist afaik. So we have OMAP3530 600MHz(DCBB) and 720MHz(DCBB72) certified chips.
OMAP3440 exists, so there are 600MHz(3430) and 800MHz(3440) certified chips.
Omap3430 goes up to 1200MHz if you are lucky.

Following this lame speculative logic, I wouldn't be surprised if second batch chips can go beyond 720MHz.

I'm new to the forum, (waves) and I'm a little puzzled as to whether you are talking about overclocking the CPU through software or modding the hardware??

Meany105 said:
I'm new to the forum, (waves) and I'm a little puzzled as to whether you are talking about overclocking the CPU through software or modding the hardware??
Software. The Pandora's OMAP processor can increase both voltage and clock speed by setting registers in the processor. There should be no need ever to physically mod your Pandora for overclocking. As with all overclocking, there's no guarantee that it'll work beyond a certain speed. It could become unstable and crash, but a reset will just set it back to normal and you carry on, not going that fast again.

Here's something for Craigix -

I have an N900 - Have had it clocked to 1.2GHZ and running strong, when I melt the CPU - I'm going to send it in for a refund! ;)

I joke!! I JOKE!!

It'll probably catch fire in the Australian unseasonal climate!!

Edit: Can a Dev test if the Pandora can be under-volted (500mhz/600mhz voltage) at 1Ghz or so?
That could solve some heat issues... NO WARRANTY TALK!

I don't think devs will be going near the issue from this point. Any "official" overclocking tests will be taken as consent to overclock. Best leave it to the community. ;)

Back