Overclocking The Omap

darionapole

just some questions:

1) is it posible to voltmod the omap to reach higher clock speed?
2) anyway to do it via software o it has to be done in hardware?
3) is it posibble to overcloock the memory like the gp2x, i mean latecies, speed, divider, etc?
i would like to heard some technical information about why yes/no if possible :p

The OMAP has registers that allow you to set the voltage and clock speed. It's rated for 500mhz under standard voltage, 600mhz in "overdrive" mode with increased voltage, but success has been seen overclocking it as high as 900mhz.

wheres craigx saying

"what's your order number?"
Grabs some popcorn too.

You can overclock the OMAP3530, but changing the voltage will cancel your order void your warranty, and piss off CraigIX. If you break your Pandora this way and then attempt to return it under warranty, you are a bad person and everyone who loves you is wrong.

from http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/omap3530.pdf

MHz 720

1) OPP6 frequency range is only supported on high-speed grade OMAP3530/25 devices.

spaceballs3000 said:
from http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/omap3530.pdf

MHz 720

1) OPP6 frequency range is only supported on high-speed grade OMAP3530/25 devices.
Not this again. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
nah not in my life i have ever returned something that i broke :p

uping the voltage just a little when needed wont hurt. decreasing it (undervolt) to de minimum stable posible was my main idea if i can keep the omap at low frequencies with low voltage then both the battery and the chip will last longer.

"what's your order number?"
sadly i didn't order, i'm momentarily out of money, but i'm saving for the second batch ^_^

mali said:
BaDToaD said:
LOL

Are you comfortable Mali? ;)

I hoped for some more action, it's a bit dull currently :D
Action?
We can't let this thread fall below 15 posts per day, or it'll explode!

Ok, let's discuss :p

I'll start studying datasheets when I got my Pandora. So does anyone know how the core voltage is generated? I did some modification on my 1810T to fake VID signals at the regulator chip directly, cause MODs on BGA aren't possible. I used it to undervolt, though. Is this similar on ARM SoCs? Does the SoC request the voltage from outside the SoC maybe from the companion chip, or are those OPP values generated inside?

edit:
An older quote from MWeston claims that they were able to achieve their overclockings on OPP3, so did someone test maximum stable overclock on OPP5?

MWeston said:
Hmmn, interesting. Maybe they needed the numbers to sound better to compete with the Samsung chip in the iPhone. The truth is that the chips all seem to do 720MHz for sure but TI only lists speeds they have tested so maybe they have finally qualified it at 720/520 now. We've been running at 750-800MHz in OPP3 all along, but wow, now it goes up to OPP6! Maybe there is hope for some 1080p video decoding as well with the 21% boost in DSP speed (other than the 86MHz PCLK limitation).

jajaja, i remember those days where Openpandora.ca was offering 800Mhz pandora preorders

^ If it's really true that they got 750MHz-800MHz stable at OPP3, then it's extremely impressive. Those N900 overclockings are at OPP5, afaik.

Yes, warranty will be lost when doing crazy things, but I'm not interested in warranty anyway. I managed to contain myself whole two weeks after purchase before I rammed my soldering iron into my 1810T :D The community at NBR was thankful though, as I provided some good info regarding overclocking and undervolting, as the 1810T was TME locked :)

mali said:
^ If it's really true that they got 750MHz-800MHz stable at OPP3, then it's extremely impressive. Those N900 overclockings are at OPP5, afaik.
I've run my beagleboard CPU at 750MHz at 1.2 volts. I tried increasing the voltage, but the increased current makes the power suppply to the USB too unstable. MWeston says the USB power supply on the Pandora doesn't have this problem.

^ Thanks for the info :) I suppose it's an older revision and not the new 720MHz version, right?

(Hi Mali - I'll try help you get some action)

I want to run my Pandora at 900MHZ all the time and I want a full and covered warranty when I up the voltage until it melts..

dell_fire_2.jpg

Attachments

• dell_fire_2.jpg
    dell_fire_2.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 83
HEY CAN I GO TO MY LOCAL TI AND GET A 900MHZ CHIP AND PUT IN PNADORA AND OVERCLOCK TO 1.7GHZ I SAW N900 THAT OUSLD BE SWEET!!!!

Mofokubik said:

And you are showing us damage caued by a blown-up LiPo battery because...? Scratch that, that's where the HDD usually is.

Attachments

• dell_fire_2.jpg
    dell_fire_2.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 74
Back