How Did It All Start.....well After The Ideas

Cpt Ezz

Still Fresh
Hi fellow Pandorians
I was just wondering what is the next few steps after the ideas PHASE of making an electronics device like the Pandora?
I know you get the idea, then work out if it will work but what about sourcing hardware?
thanks

Cpt Ezz said:
Hi fellow Pandorians
I was just wondering what is the next few steps after the ideas PHASE of making an electronics device like the Pandora?
I know you get the idea, then work out if it will work but what about sourcing hardware?
thanks

A lot of money, hard work and good luck (and bad).

I think with something like this you have to believe it will be easy to do to start with in order to get things rolling.

If I knew what I know now about this industry back then I'd have never attempted to do it.

Luckly I'm one of those people who just never gives up, I'm so stubborn minded, the Pandora was always going to happen no matter what.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
Cpt Ezz said:
Hi fellow Pandorians
thanks

I think with something like this you have to believe it will be easy to do to start with in order to get things rolling.

If I knew what I know now about this industry back then I'd have never attempted to do it.

Luckly I'm one of those people who just never gives up, I'm so stubborn minded, the Pandora was always going to happen no matter what.
You also need a talented team who can pull something like this together :)

Awakening said:
craigix said:
Cpt Ezz said:
Hi fellow Pandorians
thanks

You also need a talented team who can pull something like this together :)

Well I'm sure Ed, Fatih, Michael and everyone else will give their thoughts, I can't speak for them, that was just my own views on it.

not just that, you need a strong willed person to hold it all together, people just lose interest, or change their mind, or are listening to the beat from another band, they start out enthused and then realise there's still a whole ton of work involved, they work like slaves and burn themselves out, they work hard for months and suddenly realise there's another couple of years to go yet, and all they will get is some small fame, they get married, they get sick, they get a craze for powerkites or mountain biking, they move home or start a company of their own.

or even trivial co-operatives (1 on 1) like the guy who wanted to learn to program, after a month I realised he was cribbing off other people in other forums and stitching code together ad-hoc, I had written reams of tutorials, whole rafts of FULLY commented code with explanations and examples, he couldn't have read any of it, it was crushing to realise the guy didn't want to actually DO anything, just pick over other peoples ideas and snippets and get me to make it work, I had pre written over 100 snippet tutorials by then, all in advance so I could supply him with a continuous stream of data, then he just said it was no good, he didn't have the time, organisation was HIS skill, last I heard he was trying to get some people over on the DB forums to write a game for him, nowdays, I don't do tutorials or join projects.

it's really hard to keep a team working together for any length of time over the net, even big projects have faded away as they lose members over time, still, as long as Craig has the negatives of the rest of the team at that donkey farm, we're safe.

craigix said:
If you knew then what you know now, you would be able to change some things into a much better direction I think ;)
Damn, where is a Time Machine, when you need one... :lol:

Well there are about 18 billion deloreans popping up all over the boards

Sugar_Kane said:
Well there are about 18 billion deloreans popping up all over the boards
GREAT SCOTT! Just in Time! :lol:

atomicthumbs said:
I am so glad we didn't go with the i.MX31.
I'm glad that this Project exists at all! :)
Years, before I even had a GP2X, I dreamed about a Handheld that can play Quake 3 or UT. This was around 2000 when I was traveling alot with the Train. Because I couldn't imagine that a mobile Device could be even that powerful (besides of an Laptop) I had ideas about to stream the game that actualy runs onto your Home PC and you just control it with the Handheld. Crazy but today we know that streaming games becomes slightly reality. :)

Well, if Craigix would not had the Idea for the Pandora, I would had, I'm sure.

Does anyone know where the original original thread went? I remember there being a big thread before the Our New Machine thread.

atomicthumbs said:
Does anyone know where the original original thread went? I remember there being a big thread before the Our New Machine thread.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. That Our New Machine thread uses the name Pandora, so that was considerably later than the original thread.

quadomatic said:
atomicthumbs said:

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. That Our New Machine thread uses the name Pandora, so that was considerably later than the original thread.
I think that thread was renamed after the new name was officially announced.

That said, there were older threads discussing hardware. They would have been in the GP2X section.

hobbyman II said:
not just that, you need a strong willed person to hold it all together, people just lose interest, or change their mind, or are listening to the beat from another band, they start out enthused and then realise there's still a whole ton of work involved, they work like slaves and burn themselves out, they work hard for months and suddenly realise there's another couple of years to go yet, and all they will get is some small fame, they get married, they get sick, they get a craze for powerkites or mountain biking, they move home or start a company of their own.

or even trivial co-operatives (1 on 1) like the guy who wanted to learn to program, after a month I realised he was cribbing off other people in other forums and stitching code together ad-hoc, I had written reams of tutorials, whole rafts of FULLY commented code with explanations and examples, he couldn't have read any of it, it was crushing to realise the guy didn't want to actually DO anything, just pick over other peoples ideas and snippets and get me to make it work, I had pre written over 100 snippet tutorials by then, all in advance so I could supply him with a continuous stream of data, then he just said it was no good, he didn't have the time, organisation was HIS skill, last I heard he was trying to get some people over on the DB forums to write a game for him, nowdays, I don't do tutorials or join projects.

it's really hard to keep a team working together for any length of time over the net, even big projects have faded away as they lose members over time, still, as long as Craig has the negatives of the rest of the team at that donkey farm, we're safe.

Do you still have those tutorials?

Back