How Do You Interpret Your Relationship To Op Ltd.?

How do you view your relationship to Open Pandora LTD.?

• Customer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Investor

• Friend

• Pontificator

• Waiting for the second batch to decide.

• None

• 1-4

• Total voters

'Phawx' said:
Wouldn't that be just considered a customer?
You looked like you were struggling to find a word that means "more involved than a customer." Investment is not that word; commitment would be the right word. You are committed to the project in that you've already paid for it, but you have no actual investment in it.

Also who says an investment can not be to see a company thrive?
The dictionary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about my harsh reply Phawx - I replied to this RIGHT after I read the other thread (and before I had read your apology and the end of the whole issue), and so I posted what I did. With the rest of the situation taken into account, I totally take that back. I still stand by "If they're not answering your questions, don't ask them. Problem solved." (Not directed at you, of course, but in general.)

An interesting question - and, given a little experience of Internet Behaviour, one that COULD easily be used to further political arguments - so I can understand how/why people might have a tendency to shout in annoyance here at first.

Initially I thought of myself very much as a customer, pre-ordering a product for a fixed fee for delivery within a given timeframe (not an exact date, but certainly an approximate timeframe has been set). I considered an "Investor" or "Investment" in exactly the terms Wiz lays out - as in buying shares in a company, rather than buying a product.

But it's become apparent that if I view my relationship with OpenPandora purely as a customer who paid a given fee for a given product in a given timeframe, I will become disenchanted very quickly as they have not lived up to that deal. No, you can save your barbs for yourselves, it doesn't matter who is responsible or why (we could chase around THAT bush for threads and threads - as I beleive we already have, repeatedly) but I did my bit and offered up dough. OpenPandora have not delivered on their part of the deal.

So I started to think - because I REALLY don't want to view this purchase as a deal that's gone sour, and it occurred to me that we become "invested" in all sorts of things without expecting to own shares. The term has a wider meaning than the purely business sense, I was sure - with peoplke even becomming "invested" in fictional worlds such that they dislike it when a series of films, books, comics etc. cease to be produced or change tone (due to a change in author or artist, perhaps). So I thought I'd look up the definition in a couple of places, and here's some examples of what I found:

investing: the act of investing; laying out money or capital in an enterprise with the expectation of profit
That's pretty much the classic business/financial definition, though "profit" could be debated as it is not defined... e.g.
what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul?

Obviously here the term "profit" does not necessarily mean cash (and dude! The answer is THE WHOLE WORLD!!!)

the commitment of something other than money (time, energy, or effort) to a project with the expectation of some worthwhile result; "this job calls for the investment of some hard thinking"; "he made an emotional investment in the work"

Ah! THIS is the definition - more or less - that had been nagging at the back of my mind. But, well, phrased better. I think a great many of us have put in considerable more effort - even if only in the form of discussion aimed at benefitting the project - than simply stumping up the retail price of a Pandora. From this definition, I would have to call myself an "Investor" in the sense of "more than just a customer who pays his money and vanishes into the night".

the act of putting on robes or vestments

I could hardly leave that definition out, but I couldn't see a way of applying it to this situation. Unless there's an OP uniform that no-one has told me about?

invest - endow: give qualities or abilities to

invest - provide with power and authority; "They vested the council with special rights"

And so on. I love the English language - I love the way that almost any sentence, if carefully constructed, can have multiple meanings. It's hellish for people whose first language isn't English though, I assume :(

Sigh. Are there problems with bold too? :angry: At least in "Preview" there are :(

I'm going to wrap up by saying I intend to vote "Investor" - not as a financial investor in a typical business/finance sense, but as someone who has a great deal of time in addition to money tied up in this project, and plans to invest a great deal more of at least one of those (probably both) before my Pandora is replaced. I certainly FEEL invested in the project, and feel glum when we turn on each other like rabid dogs.

Ta

'LastPucho' said:
Really sorry if I sounded harsh and / or contradictory and /or contradictorily negative (since I'm looking forward to a more positive humor / ambient on these forums).
Not at all - on another forum I frequent the oft-stated "rule" (more a guideline) is "do not feed the trolls". Now I'm not aiming this at Phawx and I don't believe you were either, but as far as trolls go, they want reactions. If you think someone is trolling then responding to them is not going to make them go away - it is feeding their behaviour. Even if they are "unconcious" trolls, what they are looking for is a response. They will only truly stop such behaviour if they don't get responses - if their behaviour is not, in effect, rewarded. There can be no worse behaviour than deliberately feeding a troll, I suspect.

Personally, I suspect that if someone generates a response - as Phawx seems to - then either we need to learn how to deal with "trollish behaviour"* more intelligently and effectively OR their points are striking a chord somewhere. Most likely a combination of the two.

Ta

*This is not intended to imply Phawx is a troll, I just get bored with all the dancing around bushes to avoid any miniscule chance of someone taking offense where it is not meant.

I'd have to say "Supporter", myself. I support those behind the project (and have bought many items from Craig's store in the past and most likely will do in the future, too - additionally, they're such incredibly helpful people and always nice to deal with :)), I support the reasons that I understand caused the project to come about, I support those who have coding skills who give their time to produce stuff for machines like this, and I support the product itself and the notions behind it. :p

'Monk' said:
the act of putting on robes or vestments

I could hardly leave that definition out, but I couldn't see a way of applying it to this situation. Unless there's an OP uniform that no-one has told me about?
Well, there are those polo shirts from ED's store, I think... :D

ok, customer only... no doubt ....

you could be friends of devs team, but once we say the relationship with OP Ltd....

we are all customers of OP LTD only, business is business. that's all

ps: "we" refer to those guy who have already paid a sum of money

:pandora1: :ph34r:

@Monk

I guess I am lucky no one asked me, "What is your favorite color." ;)

WOOOOSHHHH

LOL - love the polo shirts! (How did I forget them? though as uniforms go, they could be pretty chilly if not accessorised).

'Phawx' said:
@Monk

I guess I am lucky no one asked me, "What is your favorite color." ;)

WOOOOSHHHH

Certainly wooshed me as I don't get the reference, but...

My favourite colour is green. Which MIGHT lead the anally retentive to look up what that means about me...

Green: The color of harmony and balance, Green symbolizes hope, renewal and peace, and is usually liked by the gentle and sincere. Greens are generally frank, community-minded people, fairly sociable but preferring peace at any price. Green people can be too self-effacing, modest and patient, so they may get exploited by others. They are usually refined, civilized and reputable.

Fairly sociable? Modest? PATIENT? Hahahaha hehehehe. Ahum. Yup, that's me to a T...

I picked Investor, even though it may be the wrong word.... I was thinking 1-4, but this project is so important to me... I feel like I helped make it happen by preordering, so whatever.

Lurking for a long time on the forums, but I bought a GP32 FLU and a GP2X first edition. I only buy them because its a great tool to practice my programming skills and fun watching the skill of other developers.

After both the FLU and First Edition experience, I will take a back seat and watch how things go with the first units to see what people can do with the system. Then I will probably insta-buy it in my own time. :)

I trust (strong word but true) this team to deliver. The amount of help they have given everyone for ANOTHER company's product has been fantastic so I'm sure their own product will be great!

Ohh my look at the time, better head back to lurking...
:ph34r:

customer. its a bit more informal but also more intimate than your average customer-company relationship though
cant help but think this thread has ulterior motives coming from phawx

@Phawx Ah! The source of much modern humour - and done to a T. It's amazing how so much of life feels like a Monty Python skit that I often have trouble, nowadays, seperating memories of one from the other :(

'PoisonedV' said:
customer. its a bit more informal but also more intimate than your average customer-company relationship though
cant help but think this thread has ulterior motives coming from phawx
I know what you mean - "if it looks like a fish, smells like a fish, and walks like a fish" and all that. However, you've risen above that and provided your own answer - I hope to see that rewarded by not seeing this thread used as any kind of wet fish to slap OP about the face with :)

Global conspiracy! PoisonedV will uncover the truth! NWO! Ron Paul! Tesla! free energy! ZEITGEIST-MOVIE.COm!!!!!!!!!!!

Why does it always have to be a global conspiracy? I miss th eold days of solar system, galaxy, or universal conspiracies - everyone thinks so SMALL nowadays!

Back