How does the Pyra install the OS?

azz

Still Fresh
Does it install Debian like a regular personal computer through an install image from a USB,
or does it have more like a Raspberrys install approach?

Right now installing the OS image is a bit like the Raspberry Pi approach, but a little different as it's being handled by a shell script. However by release it may be further simplified by like it has on the Pandora where you just unzip a file to an SD card or USB and boot from it to upgrade.

By default there will be a working OS on the internal memory.

By default there will be a working OS on the internal memory.

At what stage in the manufacturing process will the OS image get written?
I'm sure that the memory manufacturers will be happy to do it if you order a few million chips - but how does it work for smaller projects?

At what stage in the manufacturing process will the OS image get written?
Most likely the same step as the Pandora.

I'm sure that the memory manufacturers will be happy to do it if you order a few million chips - but how does it work for smaller projects?
I doubt they would bother with this even with bigger clients. The Pandora it's done by a Global Components employee during the testing phase, they install the OS to the NAND memory (eMMC in the Pyra's case) along with test everything out.

Wasn't it possible to boot (or flash NAND at least) from SD card on Pandora even without working OS in the NAND? (ie. unbrickable feature) I think it's done by holding a different button combination during start up. I'm guessing Pyra should be similar.

Wasn't it possible to boot (or flash NAND at least) from SD card on Pandora even without working OS in the NAND? (ie. unbrickable feature) I think it's done by holding a different button combination during start up. I'm guessing Pyra should be similar.
Flashing from SD card is typically how it's done... It doesn't care if the OS is working on it or not...

Yes, you can also put an OS on an SD card for the Pandora. If there's the core boot stuff on the NAND you can make it boot automatically, but if the NAND is totally stuffed (not just a corrupted OS on there) then you need to hold down a button or two to make the menu pop up and let you select it on each boot. I forget the exact buttons - it's either just the R trigger, or R+start.

Yes - booting from eMMC or left SD slot is the normal for the Pyra.

Question though - if it can't find uboot on either one of those, can it still boot from USB? I.e. is USB a potential 3rd target for the uboot?

There's also this

Would love to see additional options in the installer, like:
1. Disk encryption.
2. Desktop environment, a la tasksel.

Also, how easy to make your own taste of the installer?

That installer is just a hacked up version of the pandora one, which is probably written entierly in shellscript and zenity (like everything else on the pandora.) Hopefully, someone will replace it before anything ships.

Also, how easy to make your own taste of the installer?
How good are you at shell scripting? Honestly aTc has been wanting someone to make a better First Start Wizard. Disk Encryption is likely complicated on a device that uses u-boot for boot management.

Because I saw the firewall dialog in the First-Start-Wizard-Video: Does anybody know which firewall tool will be used? I suppose underlying is iptables, but is there something like ufw installed on top? Is there some "default" for debian?

Disk Encryption is likely complicated on a device that uses u-boot for boot management.
Well, I know it works on the Internet Cube and it is also an ARM platform booting from a micro-SD card, so I guess it should be possible. Maybe someone who feels at ease with shell (i.e. not me, sorry) could have a look at the repository.

Well, I know it works on the Internet Cube and it is also an ARM platform booting from a micro-SD card, so I guess it should be possible. Maybe someone who feels at ease with shell (i.e. not me, sorry) could have a look at the repository.
Disk encryption should just work, getting an encrypted disk to boot from u-boot is what is somewhat challenging.

Disk encryption should just work, getting an encrypted disk to boot from u-boot is what is somewhat challenging.
There is a U-boot directory in the repository so I thought it used uboot too (well I thought it did before I checked but the directory is actually there so I am quite confident it does)

There is a U-boot directory in the repository so I thought it used uboot too (well I thought it did before I checked but the directory is actually there so I am quite confident it does)
It's not an issue that it can't, just not something that can easily be enabled in a First Start Wizard as all of that needs to be enabled even prior to the disk image to be written to the eMMC.

It's not an issue that it can't, just not something that can easily be enabled in a First Start Wizard as all of that needs to be enabled even prior to the disk image to be written to the eMMC.
Oh I think I am starting to get your point (please tell me if I am wrong, I'd like to get this one although my skills regarding this domain are still at beginner stage, growing slowly) : the issue is because of the installer, while the InternetCube (or any RaspberryPi-like board as far as I know) boots directly on the SD, right ?

Back