How High Does Your Wiz Clock?

sam fisher

Website
blog.peter-r.co.uk
I just thought I would start a topic about this so we can get some data on this.

My one seems to run stably at 800mhz(though I did only test it for a minute or so with the battery tester). I have no idea where it fails other than that it fails after a couple of seconds at 850mhz so it could be anywhere in between. I also noticed that between about 200mhz and 600mhz each 100mhz increment yielded approximately a 25fps gain. However, between 600mhz and 800mhz there was only about 25fps gained in total so that implies, to me, that there is some sort of bottleneck occurring there.

So, how high does everyone else's go?

You can use the battery tester here to find out.

Note:
I'm not responsible if overclocking some how causes your Wiz to break (even though it should not).

here[/URL] to find out.

Note:
I'm not responsible if overclocking some how causes your Wiz to break (even though it should not"].
Hehe. At least one person who shows interest in the program I uploaded to the archive after I found it at the Spanish forum. BTW., thanks to Puck2099 for this nice little app.

My Wiz also runs stable at 800Mhz with this programm and with MAME4all.

Regards,
Stephan

Last edited by a moderator:
It would also be interesting to know the approximate battery life @ 800Mhz. Also at lower Mhz (200, 400 etc.) for those apps that don't need more cpu speed.

I'm running my battery flat at 533mhz (after its been left for two weeks doing nothing after me using it for a couple of hours) to see how long it lasts and then after I charge it up again I guess I'll do a proper full-empty comparison.

It will be interesting to see what the common denominator for Wizzes is with respect to clockspeed.

Franxis posted on May 17 2009 at 06:12 PM said:
Information taken from this thread of gp32spain.com:
http://www.gp32spain.com/foros/showthread.php?t=63997

Frequency: 300 Mhz
Duration: 7:30:00

Frequency: 533 Mhz
Duration: 6:25:00

Frequency: 700 Mhz
Duration: 5:45:00
Great info. Pretty nice battery times. At 200Mhz you'd probably get near 8 hours. And at 800Mhz probably still more than 5 hours. Not bad at all.

QUESTION: does the Wiz get noticeably hot at 700Mhz - 800Mhz?

Prophet posted on May 18 2009 at 12:22 AM said:
QUESTION: does the Wiz get noticeably hot at 700Mhz - 800Mhz?
Almost nothing, you feel it a bit hot, but these are being some hot days in Spain...

Guys, please post what you're running when you talk about battery times, and if the LCD is at full brightness during the whole test. Unless they changed it in firmware, the LCD turns off pretty quickly - but I can't remember if it does due to no screen activity or no input activity.

My Wiz clocks reliably to 800MHz too, this might be standard for this batch.

It seems like all or most people who've bought Wizzes from this batch can get up to 800mhz stable. I'm a bit concerned that the ones from the later batch might not clock as high, and we could be back where we were with the GP2X where the F100 mk 1 units could get up to 275-300Mhz and the ones from the later batches (mk 2 units) could not and everyone wanted a 280 - 300Mhz GP2X.

I will probably buy a Wiz from a later batch but won't be happy if my unit can't clock as high as it might not be able to run the more demanding emulators as well and will feel I have a less capable unit. Even though most of the best emu's were well optimised a lot of GP2X owners who had lower clocking units could not run some of the demanding emu's as well as those with higher overclockable units, MAME and amiga in particular. With a slow memory interface being the bottleneck having a higher clocking unit could be even more important for performance.

Back